H1N1 a 'dud' pandemic

Ice Age

Nov 12, 2009, 7:45:23 PM11/12/09

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/11/12/h1n1-vaccine-costs.html

The huge investments governments made in swine flu pandemic planning
might not have been justified, an Ontario health official said Thursday.

"It's really not causing � and is not going to cause and nowhere has
caused � significant levels of illness or death," said Dr. Richard
Schabas, Ontario's former chief medical officer of health.

"But governments moved ahead regardless. They ramped up their response,
spent a huge amount of money on vaccines and other things. I'm not sure
the $1.5 billion includes the cost of new ventilators, the cost of
Tamiflu stockpiles � the huge investment that's been put into planning
for what has ultimately turned out to be, from a pandemic perspective, a
dud."

>snip<

Pretty much what I and others said 6-8 months ago.

Ice!

JD

Nov 12, 2009, 8:03:58 PM11/12/09

"Ice Age" <ice_ag...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

May be true. Might not be though. Spanish Flu was mild in 1917 and 1918;
not much different than the seasonal flu. In 1919 it killed twice as many
people as all four years of World War I combined. It might not happen with
this one. But it might too.

Rob

Nov 12, 2009, 8:07:04 PM11/12/09
Ice Age wrote:

> Pretty much what I and others said 6-8 months ago.

I don't think this this is over yet, therefor a conclusion can't be
made. Plus, we'll never know what would have happened otherwise.

Best

Nov 12, 2009, 8:24:06 PM11/12/09

"Rob" <nos...@eastlink.ca> wrote in message
*Tell me, is the vaccine good for more than one year -ie does it give
continuing protection? Regular flu requires a shot each year, I guess.

Rob

Nov 12, 2009, 8:29:22 PM11/12/09

That is more than I can tell you, I doubt it lasts forever, like you say
the seasonal doesn't. And actually, they say the seasonal will only
protect you for six months and that's why it isn't rushed out too early
before the season.

James Warren

Nov 12, 2009, 8:44:29 PM11/12/09

Nope. The seasonal flu is a different flu every year. This year is different.
There are *two* seasonal flues, the regular one and H1N1. Once immune, always immune,
more or less.

--
jw

"The world is naturally filled with gods, angels, spirits and devils." - Al Smith.

"In my opinion, a great many more people should be removed
from the world than is currently the case. If this were done,
the world would be better for the rest of us." - Al Smith

"It's depressing to me to drive down some city streets. I see the private
walls, fences and doors sprayed over with incoherent obscenities, and I
see these little gangs of fat, badly-dressed losers lounging around the sidewalks.
I'd like to decorate the walls with their blood." - Al Smith

"Science is a candle in the dark" - Carl Sagan.

JD

Nov 12, 2009, 9:13:23 PM11/12/09

"Best" <who...@noone.fr> wrote in message

It does. The seasonal flu shot is a vaccination against a different set of
strains every year. I don't imagine it is forever, but it is a good long
time.

Ice Age

Nov 12, 2009, 9:45:04 PM11/12/09
JD wrote:

> May be true. Might not be though. Spanish Flu was mild in 1917 and 1918;
> not much different than the seasonal flu. In 1919 it killed twice as
> many people as all four years of World War I combined. It might not
> happen with this one. But it might too.

We can't live our lives worried incessantly about all the bad
things that might happen. We'll all end up like Howard Hughes did in
his final decade of life.

The best thing to do is use common sense. Wash your hands often.
Avoid obviously sick people and if you do get the flu yourself, stay in
the house until it gets better. The same sort of thing that has served
us well for the last 50-75 years. I think the good doctor from Ontario
has it right. It's the flu alright, but it is not even as bad as a
normal season. (And yes, I know you can add ",so far" to the last
sentence.)

I don't see the need to stick a needle in every Canadian, stock up
on tons of anti-viral drugs, etc. If this is indeed necessary, why
don't we do it every year? Every year there is a different threat in
the media; bird flu; chicken flu; Ebola pandemics; the reemergence of
antibiotic resistant tuberculosis, and the list goes on.

I can't live my life on what might happen. The only two things I'm
sure of are death and taxes, and that was observed by Benjamin Franklin
in the 1700s. So far he's been 100% right. There is no might involved
with either one.

Ice!

Al Smith

Nov 12, 2009, 10:42:16 PM11/12/09

Exactly. You know it, I knew it. What amazes me is that so many
other people seem to have trouble perceiving the obvious ahead of
time ... although their hindsite is always 20/20.

-Al-

Al Smith

Nov 12, 2009, 10:44:20 PM11/12/09

Never say "live" eh, JD?

-Al-

James Warren

Nov 13, 2009, 5:28:48 AM11/13/09

The future is not "known" to any of us Al. How likely should a disaster be to make
it worthwhile to prepare for? Since you "know" so much you must known this. Is it
100%, 50%, 10%, 1%? Tell us Al.

Message has been deleted

kozmo

Nov 13, 2009, 6:55:01 AM11/13/09
> Ditto, they leave out the bonanza for the drug company though.

i wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility that drug companies
developed H1N1 in the first place.

James Warren

Nov 13, 2009, 7:05:07 AM11/13/09

Are you trying to start another conspiracy theory? Al would be proud! :)

Hank

Nov 13, 2009, 7:41:47 AM11/13/09
Wow, pardon me if we don't take too much stock in what you two "know"
You probably "know" the earth is flat as well hahaha!
Distrust of science/scientists has been around a long time, you two didn't
invent it!

"Al Smith" <inv...@address.com> wrote in message

> On 11/12/2009 8:45 PM, Ice Age wrote:

>> >snip<Wow

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Ice Age

Nov 13, 2009, 9:13:34 AM11/13/09
Scott wrote:

> Are you complaining or disappointed?
>
> Prepare for the worse, hope for the best. You have insurance on your
> home and possessions? Why just in case.
>
> Too soon to call it, we still have wave three to get through. If I'm
> wrong and this turns out to be nothing so be it. Sometimes I don't
> mind being wrong, sometimes I'm glad, happy, overjoyed to be wrong.

Of course we are not disappointed it didn't tun out o be a killer
disease. My point (can't speak anyone else), is that a LOT of people
made a LOT of money off this thing. If it turns out to be a minor
event, as it now seems, are they going to give it back? No. Where is
the 1.5 billion that was spent on this going to come from? Taxes,
that's where.

We are routinely scared into paying more and more taxes to prevent
these highly unlikely scenarios. Companies and governments do wht works
to generate revenue, and these scare tactics are working well.

Ice!

Rick Walker

Nov 13, 2009, 9:24:30 AM11/13/09

"Ice Age" wrote:

> Of course we are not disappointed it didn't tun out o be a killer
> disease. My point (can't speak anyone else), is that a LOT of people made
> a LOT of money off this thing. If it turns out to be a minor event, as it
> now seems, are they going to give it back? No. Where is the 1.5 billion
> that was spent on this going to come from? Taxes, that's where.

Good thing it happened when it did, during a recession. Imagine the costs
(and profits to be made) in a "healthy" economy.

James Warren

Nov 13, 2009, 9:49:19 AM11/13/09

So you *are* sticking with the conspiracy theory. Why is it surprising that
some profit would be made in preparing for a potential disaster? Insurance
companies aren't charities either.

--
jw.

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley.
"If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people" - House.
"Science is a candle in the dark." - Carl Sagan.

J Smith

Nov 13, 2009, 11:34:21 AM11/13/09

"Scott" <scott.doug...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Are you complaining or disappointed?
>
> Prepare for the worse, hope for the best. You have insurance on your
> home and possessions? Why just in case.
>
> Too soon to call it, we still have wave three to get through. If I'm
> wrong and this turns out to be nothing so be it. Sometimes I don't
> mind being wrong, sometimes I'm glad, happy, overjoyed to be wrong.

And happy to waste one shit load of money.

Hank

Nov 13, 2009, 11:35:16 AM11/13/09
OK, WHO in the heck made 1.5 billion off anything?? Where do you get this
figure? I guess the vaccine preparers got some extra for making it in a
rush. Some of their employees got some OT no doubt. Some nurses got some OT
I guess, but I hear not many of them really want any MORE than they already
were getting.
Pandemic and other such emergency plans are supposedly already in place but
i guess some needed tweaking so some planners made a few bucks off of that.
Lots of rich people stocked up on Tamiflu but I think they do that every flu
season anyway. I'm not seeing any 1.5 billion.
Should the authorities NOT have prepared a vaccine for this like they
normally do (in the past few years anyway) for all the other flu strains?
I don't think any scientist has suggested there definitely would be a
pandemic. Scientists have to adhere to stricter guidelines than you and Al.
They do extensive research and prove out theories, not just "gut feeling"
like you and Al.
Some media and politicians have got a little carried away and a lot of
people have panicked unnecessarily. It's simple, be aware and get prepared
as much as you can, panic helps no-one. But, don't put your head in the
sand.
Are you one of the many who won't spend a couple of bucks on insurance?
There's a hootenanny every weekend for people like you...........

"Ice Age" <ice_ag...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Al Smith

Nov 13, 2009, 12:15:23 PM11/13/09
On 11/13/2009 6:28 AM, James Warren wrote:

> The future is not "known" to any of us Al. How likely should a disaster
> be to make
> it worthwhile to prepare for? Since you "know" so much you must known
> this. Is it
> 100%, 50%, 10%, 1%? Tell us Al.

That would be up to you, James. If you want my advice, I suggest you
run out right now and buy up all the freeze-dried food you can find,
then dig a hole in your back yard to hide it in. After that, hang
your underwear from your telephone cable -- this is a (little known)
sign to other survivalists that you have a gun and will shoot anyone
who tries to steal your freeze-dried food, or your women. Buy a dog
for added security. However, you do not want a large dog that will
eat up much of your precious freeze-dried food, so I suggest a
Pomeranian.

-Al-

Al Smith

Nov 13, 2009, 12:16:12 PM11/13/09
On 11/13/2009 7:42 AM, lucretia borgia wrote:
> Ditto, they leave out the bonanza for the drug company though.

Exactly. This has been a windfall for the drug companies. What a
waste of resources and money!

-Al-

Al Smith

Nov 13, 2009, 12:21:10 PM11/13/09

They may not have developed it, but they are reaping a fortune from
the hysteria surrounding it.

It seems we are lurching from one hysterical terror to another these
days, as the media competes for ever-more extreme news to report.

Not that getting the flu is any fun -- it's a bitch -- but this flu
is no different in its dangers from the flus we get every year. The
big fear seems to be that it attacks harder the middle-aged rather
than the elderly. Well, tough, I say ... it's about time the old
people got some relief.

-Al-

Al Smith

Nov 13, 2009, 12:23:00 PM11/13/09
On 11/13/2009 8:41 AM, Hank wrote:
> Wow, pardon me if we don't take too much stock in what you two "know"
> You probably "know" the earth is flat as well hahaha!
> Distrust of science/scientists has been around a long time, you two didn't
> invent it!

Blind faith in science as a new form of religion by those incapable
of making considered judgments on their own has been around for a
while now, too, and it seems to be growing in popularity.

-Al-

Hank

Nov 13, 2009, 12:24:48 PM11/13/09
Ah, but blind faith in ignorant nonsense is still as popular as it ever
was..

"Al Smith" <inv...@address.com> wrote in message
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

James Warren

James Warren

Nov 13, 2009, 1:02:25 PM11/13/09

With you it seems to be a case of "blind faith" or total rejection. Your
total rejection stance is surely ridiculous.

James Warren

Nov 13, 2009, 1:04:52 PM11/13/09
lucreti...@fl.it wrote:

>>> And happy to waste one shit load of money.
>> sure why not spend, it's called INSURANCE and how much money was
>> wasted? they eased up on production of seasonal vaccine to make h1n1
>> vaccine.
>
> Before I buy insurance I like to perceive there is a risk. Insurance
> doesn't guarantee you a whole lot, when the moment comes some small
> clause somewhere may render you ineligible etc etc.
>
> The risk, in the case of H1N1 flu appears to have been very much media
> driven.

The media will jump on any bandwagon. The risk was/is there nevertheless.

kozmo

Nov 13, 2009, 1:35:58 PM11/13/09
On Nov 13, 8:05 am, James Warren <jwwarren...@gmail.com> wrote:
> kozmo wrote:
> >> Ditto, they leave out the bonanza for the drug company though.
>
> > i wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility that drug companies
> > developed H1N1 in the first place.
>
> Are you trying to start another conspiracy theory? Al would be proud! :)

.

not at all, just putting it out there that it wouldn't surprise me if
this were the case.

James Warren

Rick Walker

Nov 13, 2009, 1:51:32 PM11/13/09

"James Warren" wrote:

> Do you watch "Fringe"? It is possible and it would be *very* surprising!

Walter would figure it out... :-)

Al Smith

Nov 13, 2009, 2:00:58 PM11/13/09
On 11/13/2009 1:59 PM, James Warren wrote:
> Al Smith wrote:
>> On 11/13/2009 6:28 AM, James Warren wrote:
>>
>>> The future is not "known" to any of us Al. How likely should a
>>> disaster be to make
>>> it worthwhile to prepare for? Since you "know" so much you must known
>>> this. Is it
>>> 100%, 50%, 10%, 1%? Tell us Al.
>>>

>> That would be up to you, James. If you want my advice, I suggest you
>> run out right now and buy up all the freeze-dried food you can find,
>> then dig a hole in your back yard to hide it in. After that, hang your
>> underwear from your telephone cable -- this is a (little known) sign
>> to other survivalists that you have a gun and will shoot anyone who
>> tries to steal your freeze-dried food, or your women. Buy a dog for
>> added security. However, you do not want a large dog that will eat up
>> much of your precious freeze-dried food, so I suggest a Pomeranian.
>>
>> -Al-
>
> Interesting rant, and a good display of your literary talent, but I didn't
> see an answer in there. Do you have one?

I've given you the benefit of my advice. It's up to you whether you
want to take it.

-Al-

James Warren

Nov 13, 2009, 2:04:10 PM11/13/09

Your "advice" had no content, so I'll pass.

J Smith

Nov 13, 2009, 2:09:31 PM11/13/09

"Rick A" <abbot...@gmaildot.com> wrote in message

> On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 13:42:06 -0400, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:

>>>sure why not spend, it's called INSURANCE and how much money was
>>>wasted? they eased up on production of seasonal vaccine to make h1n1
>>>vaccine.
>>
>>Before I buy insurance I like to perceive there is a risk. Insurance
>>doesn't guarantee you a whole lot, when the moment comes some small
>>clause somewhere may render you ineligible etc etc.
>

> You need to understand the Policy before you sign.
>
> Guarantees you everything stated in the Policy....
>
> Just common sense.

>>The risk, in the case of H1N1 flu appears to have been very much media
>>driven.
>

> Yes, it's a conspiracy between the media and the drug companies! LOL!

not a conspiracy, an enormous waste of money which has done nothing....

Message has been deleted

Rick Walker

Nov 13, 2009, 3:21:39 PM11/13/09

"Al Smith" wrote:

> James Warren wrote:
>>
>> Interesting rant, and a good display of your literary talent, but I
>> didn't
>> see an answer in there. Do you have one?

> I've given you the benefit of my advice. It's up to you whether you want
> to take it.

Well-written and captivating as usual, Al. At least he acknowledged your
literary prowess.

James Warren

Nov 13, 2009, 3:29:03 PM11/13/09

Credit where credit is due, Rick. :)

Ice Age

Nov 13, 2009, 3:30:08 PM11/13/09
Rick A wrote:
> BTW, how can we tell how many *didn't* get the H1N1 due to being
> inoculated?

One can't prove a negative.

Ice!

Message has been deleted

JD

Nov 13, 2009, 5:00:56 PM11/13/09

> JD wrote:
>>
>> May be true. Might not be though. Spanish Flu was mild in 1917 and 1918;
>> not much different than the seasonal flu. In 1919 it killed twice as
>> many people as all four years of World War I combined. It might not
>> happen with this one. But it might too.
>
> We can't live our lives worried incessantly about all the bad things
> that might happen. We'll all end up like Howard Hughes did in his final
> decade of life.
>
> The best thing to do is use common sense. Wash your hands often.
> Avoid obviously sick people and if you do get the flu yourself, stay in
> the house until it gets better. The same sort of thing that has served us
> well for the last 50-75 years. I think the good doctor from Ontario has
> it right. It's the flu alright, but it is not even as bad as a normal
> season. (And yes, I know you can add ",so far" to the last sentence.)
>
> I don't see the need to stick a needle in every Canadian, stock up on
> tons of anti-viral drugs, etc. If this is indeed necessary, why don't we
> do it every year? Every year there is a different threat in the media;
> bird flu; chicken flu; Ebola pandemics; the reemergence of antibiotic
> resistant tuberculosis, and the list goes on.
>
> I can't live my life on what might happen. The only two things I'm
> sure of are death and taxes, and that was observed by Benjamin Franklin in
> the 1700s. So far he's been 100% right. There is no might involved with
> either one.
>
> Ice!

Good for you. However, the H1N1, when it does kill, has killed young,
healthy people. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure is what my
mother used to tell me.

Its probably better to be safe than sorry. If it turns out to be a dud, no
big deal; many less people will miss work. If it turns out to be nasty,
then many are now prepared.

JD

Nov 13, 2009, 5:06:08 PM11/13/09

> On 11/12/2009 9:03 PM, JD wrote:
>>
>> "Ice Age" <ice_ag...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/11/12/h1n1-vaccine-costs.html
>>>
>>> The huge investments governments made in swine flu pandemic planning
>>> might not have been justified, an Ontario health official said Thursday.
>>>
>>> "It's really not causing � and is not going to cause and nowhere has
>>> caused � significant levels of illness or death," said Dr. Richard
>>> Schabas, Ontario's former chief medical officer of health.
>>>
>>> "But governments moved ahead regardless. They ramped up their response,
>>> spent a huge amount of money on vaccines and other things. I'm not sure
>>> the $1.5 billion includes the cost of new ventilators, the cost of
>>> Tamiflu stockpiles � the huge investment that's been put into planning
>>> for what has ultimately turned out to be, from a pandemic perspective, a
>>> dud."

>>> Pretty much what I and others said 6-8 months ago.
>>>
>>> Ice!
>>
>> May be true. Might not be though. Spanish Flu was mild in 1917 and
>> 1918; not much different than the seasonal flu. In 1919 it killed twice
>> as many people as all four years of World War I combined. It might not
>> happen with this one. But it might too.
>

> Never say "live" eh, JD?

The past is frequently a good indicator of what can happen; it may or it may
not. If your wife is one of the ones who is susceptible and it will kill
her, is it a chance you will take? I won't. If it doesn't happen, no big
deal. If it does, I prefer she is vaccinated; I also got vaccinated.

JD

Nov 13, 2009, 5:10:04 PM11/13/09

"Ice Age" <ice_ag...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Scott wrote:
>>
>> Are you complaining or disappointed?

>> Prepare for the worse, hope for the best. You have insurance on your
>> home and possessions? Why just in case.
>>
>> Too soon to call it, we still have wave three to get through. If I'm
>> wrong and this turns out to be nothing so be it. Sometimes I don't
>> mind being wrong, sometimes I'm glad, happy, overjoyed to be wrong.
>
> Of course we are not disappointed it didn't tun out o be a killer
> disease. My point (can't speak anyone else), is that a LOT of people made
> a LOT of money off this thing. If it turns out to be a minor event, as it
> now seems, are they going to give it back? No. Where is the 1.5 billion
> that was spent on this going to come from? Taxes, that's where.
>
> We are routinely scared into paying more and more taxes to prevent
> these highly unlikely scenarios. Companies and governments do wht works
> to generate revenue, and these scare tactics are working well.
>
> Ice!

Even if it turns out to be nothing but rampant, the 7-10 days of lost
productivity per worker will eventually add up to more than $1.5 billion.

axemen99

Nov 13, 2009, 7:32:41 PM11/13/09
On Nov 13, 3:47 pm, Rick A <abbott.r...@gmaildot.com> wrote:
> After that, we can make an educated decision on the value of the
> effort. ;-)

I need my reading glass...
http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1152546.html
H1N1 without the fever
If you have all other symptoms, get ass

Ice Age

Nov 13, 2009, 7:48:32 PM11/13/09
JD wrote:

> Even if it turns out to be nothing but rampant, the 7-10 days of lost
> productivity per worker will eventually add up to more than $1.5 billion.

Should we all get shots for avian flu? We might get it. What
about AIDS? Aren't they working on a vaccine for that? Do we all need
to get shots for that? (I'm at low risk, but I still *might* get it.)
Should I take 2000 mg of vitamin C a day? It might stop the common cold
and it might reduce cancer risk. Linus Pauling took a ton of it and he
lived to be 93. All that vitamin C might have added 10-15 years to his
life.

If we all do everything that might help every time it is suggested
in the media, we might not lose 7-10 days of productivity per worker and
that might then add up to $1.5 million saved in lost productivity.

Ice!

Al Smith

Nov 13, 2009, 8:05:49 PM11/13/09

We writers will take our compliments any way we can get them.

-Al-

JD

Nov 13, 2009, 8:44:00 PM11/13/09

> JD wrote:
>>
>> Even if it turns out to be nothing but rampant, the 7-10 days of lost
>> productivity per worker will eventually add up to more than $1.5 billion.
>
> Should we all get shots for avian flu? We might get it. What about
> AIDS? Aren't they working on a vaccine for that? Do we all need to get
> shots for that? (I'm at low risk, but I still *might* get it.) Should I
> take 2000 mg of vitamin C a day? It might stop the common cold and it
> might reduce cancer risk. Linus Pauling took a ton of it and he lived to
> be 93. All that vitamin C might have added 10-15 years to his life.

You can get whatever treatment you like. I am not sure that there is a
vaccine for the Avian Flu at the moment. If it becomes a threat, they'll
probably develop one. There is no vaccine for AIDS that I am aware of. If
there was one, I would think just about every sexually active single person
would probably get it. If you want to take 200mg of Vitamin C, go for it.
There is no evidence that it prevents a cold, nor that it reduces cancer
risks in any significant way. But if you want to, no one stopping you.

> If we all do everything that might help every time it is suggested in
> the media, we might not lose 7-10 days of productivity per worker and that
> might then add up to $1.5 million saved in lost productivity.
>
> Ice!

It might.

James Warren

Nov 13, 2009, 11:28:07 PM11/13/09

I think you need to do a little study on risk assessment.

There is no vaccine for avian flu. Flus are much more likely than AIDS. As
for vitamin C, the benefit is doubtful.

--
jw

"The world is naturally filled with gods, angels, spirits and devils." - Al Smith.

"In my opinion, a great many more people should be removed
from the world than is currently the case. If this were done,
the world would be better for the rest of us." - Al Smith

"It's depressing to me to drive down some city streets. I see the private
walls, fences and doors sprayed over with incoherent obscenities, and I
see these little gangs of fat, badly-dressed losers lounging around the sidewalks.
I'd like to decorate the walls with their blood." - Al Smith

"Science is a candle in the dark" - Carl Sagan.

Al Smith

Nov 13, 2009, 11:38:22 PM11/13/09
On 11/14/2009 12:28 AM, James Warren wrote:
> Ice Age wrote:
>> JD wrote:
>>>
>>> Even if it turns out to be nothing but rampant, the 7-10 days of lost
>>> productivity per worker will eventually add up to more than $1.5
>>> billion.
>>
>> Should we all get shots for avian flu? We might get it. What
>> about AIDS? Aren't they working on a vaccine for that? Do we all
>> need to get shots for that? (I'm at low risk, but I still *might* get
>> it.) Should I take 2000 mg of vitamin C a day? It might stop the
>> common cold and it might reduce cancer risk. Linus Pauling took a ton
>> of it and he lived to be 93. All that vitamin C might have added
>> 10-15 years to his life.
>>
>> If we all do everything that might help every time it is suggested
>> in the media, we might not lose 7-10 days of productivity per worker
>> and that might then add up to $1.5 million saved in lost productivity.
>>
>> Ice!
>
> I think you need to do a little study on risk assessment.
>
> There is no vaccine for avian flu. Flus are much more likely than AIDS. As
> for vitamin C, the benefit is doubtful.

Large doses of vitamin C ... and health nuts always give themselves
large doses ... do more harm than good.

-Al-

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

JD

Nov 14, 2009, 8:38:46 AM11/14/09

<lucreti...@fl.it> wrote in message

> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 01:44:00 GMT, "JD" <m...@home.ca> wrote:
>

>>You can get whatever treatment you like. I am not sure that there is a
>>vaccine for the Avian Flu at the moment. If it becomes a threat, they'll
>>probably develop one.
>
> They are already developing one - I have been participating in a study
> for nearly 18 months now for an Avian flu vaccine. That is what
> bothered me about this H1N1 vaccine, how could they carefully come up
> with a vaccine over the summer months ?
>
> So far over that period I have had lots of blood tests, lots of
> vaccine shots and checks to see the results. We don't get told much
> until the end of the study when we are able to see the full results
> and the outcome as to whether we developed good antibodies to Avian
> Flu.

Because Avian flu is an H5 virus. There are generally no vaccines for H5,
because they are not generally a threat to the human population. However,
H1 is a very common virus type to affect humans, so the basic vaccine
exists. It was a matter of ensuring that it was effective against the N1
subtype.

JD

Nov 14, 2009, 8:39:49 AM11/14/09

> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 00:28:07 -0400, James Warren
> <jwwar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I think you need to do a little study on risk assessment.
>>
>>There is no vaccine for avian flu. Flus are much more likely than AIDS. As
>>for vitamin C, the benefit is doubtful.
>
> Linus Pauling the great promoter of Vit C died like everyone else. I
> remember when he was promoting it heavily I asked my doctor what he
> thought and he said probably more benefit was gained by the glass of
> water into which you put the effervescing Vit C capsule, than the Vit
> C because the body excretes the excess Vitamin, ie all you have is
> expensive urine.

And, it excretes it every day so you need to replace it every day.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Al Smith

Nov 14, 2009, 12:11:16 PM11/14/09
On 11/14/2009 8:16 AM, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 00:28:07 -0400, James Warren
> <jwwar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think you need to do a little study on risk assessment.
>>
>> There is no vaccine for avian flu. Flus are much more likely than AIDS. As
>> for vitamin C, the benefit is doubtful.
>
> Linus Pauling the great promoter of Vit C died like everyone else. I
> remember when he was promoting it heavily I asked my doctor what he
> thought and he said probably more benefit was gained by the glass of
> water into which you put the effervescing Vit C capsule, than the Vit
> C because the body excretes the excess Vitamin, ie all you have is
> expensive urine.

Plus, you put a needless strain on your liver.

-Al-

Al Smith

Nov 14, 2009, 12:11:54 PM11/14/09
On 11/14/2009 9:49 AM, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 13:38:46 GMT, "JD" <m...@home.ca> wrote:
>

>> Because Avian flu is an H5 virus. There are generally no vaccines for H5,
>> because they are not generally a threat to the human population. However,
>> H1 is a very common virus type to affect humans, so the basic vaccine
>> exists. It was a matter of ensuring that it was effective against the N1
>> subtype.
>
> Well when they run an Avian flu scare/panic, you can thank me and
> others like me :)

Indeed.

-Al-

Rob

Nov 14, 2009, 7:04:15 PM11/14/09
JD wrote:

> Because Avian flu is an H5 virus. There are generally no vaccines for
> H5, because they are not generally a threat to the human population.
> However, H1 is a very common virus type to affect humans, so the basic
> vaccine exists. It was a matter of ensuring that it was effective
> against the N1 subtype.

Interest.

It was much more simple when we called Swine Flu.

JD

Nov 14, 2009, 7:13:50 PM11/14/09

"Rob" <nos...@eastlink.ca> wrote in message

That's right. If you weren't a politician, you'd likely never get it.