Re: [hexayurt] Re: 1 Person Shelter

Vinay Gupta (Hexayurt Shelter Project)

Jun 27, 2012, 4:48:03 PM6/27/12
to hexa...@googlegroups.com

Jared, sir, thank you and I take my hat off to you, that's a beautiful design and a worthy addition to the hexayurt family. Does it have a name yet?

Vinay

Cody Firestone

Jun 27, 2012, 4:55:52 PM6/27/12
to hexa...@googlegroups.com

i agree with all of you.

a suggestion is a "big agnes" semi inflatable camp mat
there is one which is the size if a full size bed and 2,5 inches of fowm.

it fills the floor of your small jexayurt and you use it like a big yoga pad

the idea of having your regular tent attached is the best

your hang out space and storgae addition would make this nice

remember it is the sun which warms the ground that make you hot

so a sun proof tarp over a tent is a great idea you know it is a good tarp if you cannot see sunloght thru it

Sent from my mobile; please forgive spelling or grammar. I DO know proper English.

Vinay Gupta (Hexayurt Shelter Project)

Jun 27, 2012, 4:57:36 PM6/27/12
to hexa...@googlegroups.com
For Burning Man, remember you don't want to insulate from the ground -
you want the coldness of the ground to suck the heat out of the
shelter in the daytime, then at night you want to cover it up to stay
warm. The ground is your heatsink.

> --

Vinay Gupta
Free Science and Engineering in the Global Public Interest

http://bit.ly/gupta_arc - the Gupta State Failure Management Archive
http://bit.ly/gupta_ark - or see it directly on Archive.org

http://hexayurt.com - free/open next generation human sheltering
http://hexayurt.com/plan - the whole systems, big picture vision

"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an
invincible summer" - Albert Camus

Twitter/Skype/Gizmo/Gtalk/AIM: hexayurt
UK Cell : +44 (0) 7500 895568 / USA VOIP (+1) 775-743-1851

chakra/david from golden cafe

Jun 28, 2012, 1:54:40 PM6/28/12
to hexa...@googlegroups.com
The "snorkel" is just anything that mates the two structures so you can move between the two without going outside. So in the easiest case you just cut an opening in the bigger tent and mate the two with whatever material seems convenient. I've used canvas and velcro.

You might also consider some form of an airlock, so that you can close the pathway between the structures, allowing one to get pretty dusty but keeping the other pretty clean.

On Wednesday, June 27, 2012 5:20:08 PM UTC-7, Jared wrote:
You mean a "snorkel" like a tube made out of tarp from the opening of this hexayurt to the opening of the tent (both of which will be sloped away from each other for most tents)? That seems like a good idea although the gear tent I had in mind has only one door so I may need to build an entrance to both of them rather than a snorkel between them.

If you use a tarp for the ground then the ends are what keeps the structure from folding in on itself. (Although maybe that's not really a problem, because inward force from the sides would be unusual.) Does anybody have any insight on how to attach the end that acts as a door?

Thanks for your encouragement,
Jared

On Wednesday, 27 June 2012 13:41:11 UTC-7, chakra/david from golden cafe wrote:
That is a beautiful and very efficient design. In my mind, however, Burning Man is not really about thinking small, and there's a lot of times when you'll want to hang out in your tent for a while, for example if there's a wicked dust storm and so on. And the good news: At those times the sun isn't usually so intense, so the heat factor is less of an issue.

What I'd do, if building on this design, is to make a snorkel and attach one end of your H2 to a simple (7 x 9 or so nylon with crossing fiberglass poles) dome tent so you can get in and out of the H2 without getting into the elements. The dome tent then becomes your space for gear, dressing and undusting, hanging out with friends (that you're not ready to get horizontal with quite yet) and so on.

Note: Good idea to dustproof the dome tent (put fabric over the mosquito mesh parts), reinforce the seams and nail it down well so it doesn't blow away in the wind, and make sure that it has good shade or a reflective fly.

You don't need an insulating pad for the floor, so just a tarp will do. After a day or two under the H2 the playa will actually provide some cooling.

On Tuesday, June 26, 2012 5:44:04 PM UTC-7, Jared wrote:
I'm preparing for my first trip to Black Rock City. Burners who sleep in tents often talk about having a separate gear tent. That got me thinking that with current hexayurt + swamp cooler designs, you're using a lot of energy cooling empty space and gear. Although I'm sure it's nice to be able to offer cool hang-out space, I'm going to be hitching a ride with someone and I'd like to minimize the materials I'm bringing.

I've developed a design for a shelter made out of two polyiso panels that has just enough space for sleeping and nothing more. A shelter made out of two 48x96 inch walls and a 48x96" floor of some other material produces an equilateral prism with cut ends that is 41" high - larger in every dimension than most single person tents. For example, the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 is one of the largest tents sold as 1-person: it has a 43x90" floor and a peak height (at a single point) of 38". It's larger than the 39×80" mattress that I often slept on with my girlfriend in university residence.

Obviously polyiso is a bad material for the floor, so my next step is to look into semi-rigid plastic sheets. A tarp with wood boards at each end is another option or even a sheet of plywood. My plan is to make it semi-folding, and install a small swamp cooler at one end and a furnace filter in the other.

Do you see any issues with this design?

Thank you,
Jared

Vinay Gupta

Jul 11, 2012, 6:46:37 PM7/11/12
to hexa...@googlegroups.com, jawa...@gmail.com

Hi, we should definitely call it the H2 and get it up on Appropedia forthwith - I think quite a lot of people might take a crack at building one of these for Burning Man - the people who *really* don't want to be in a tent, but also find the H12 or the 6' Stretch a bit ambitious for a first try.

It's really a great design, and we should let people know! Thank you!

Vinay

Lucas González

Jul 11, 2012, 7:05:18 PM7/11/12
to hexa...@googlegroups.com
I can help with the wikipage over at appropedia. (Did http://www.appropedia.org/Hexayurt_H13_Plywood so no problem.)
But, working from Linux, I'm finding it difficult to see the .skp file Jared sent ... wait, I can see it here: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/hexayurt/CsrF1dpQTJM
So, the question (for Jared) really is - mind if I upload that image and start http://www.appropedia.org/Hexayurt_H2 with the text of your explanation?
Thanks,
Lucas

Jared Warren

Jul 11, 2012, 7:20:35 PM7/11/12
to hexa...@googlegroups.com
Please do! I linked to it on ePlaya and someone named Canoe has suggested some details on the design: http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=277&t=56116

I'm hoping to build this on the July 21 weekend - I'll take photos for the wiki.

Lucas González

Jul 11, 2012, 7:38:41 PM7/11/12
to hexa...@googlegroups.com
http://www.appropedia.org/Hexayurt_H2

"One is glad to be of service."

Lucas

Vinay Gupta (Hexayurt Shelter Project)

Jul 11, 2012, 7:49:21 PM7/11/12
to hexa...@googlegroups.com

I do love this project. Last year the Hot New Thing was 500 square foot giant domes from Edmund, now this year the Hot (cool?) New Thing is tiny H2 hexayurts that even Grandma could make they're so simple.

Well done, chaps, this is how the world is changed: one tweak-and-document at a time!

Proud of y'all,

Vinay

Lucas González

Jul 12, 2012, 2:33:49 PM7/12/12
to hexa...@googlegroups.com

I had thought about it. Measure shinyness. Higher resolution. Drones. :-?
Lucas

El 12/07/2012 18:23, "thejaymo" <jay.the....@gmail.com> escribió:
My one question though - is how the hell am i meant to find / recognise count these on the 2012 map!?
Proud of y'all,

Vinay