Policies under inputs/services not propogated to clients? (Community 3.7.6)

Bob

Jan 18, 2018, 6:39:22 PM1/18/18
to help-cfengine
 I've have a server set-up with 3.7.6 and things appeared to be working. However, I've updated my "masterfiles/services/site.cf" and the update is not going to clients. The site.cf is called by "masterfiles/services/main.cf".

The "cf-key --show" command shows clients are checking-in with the server at the appropriate interval.

When I bootstrap a new client, that client does get the latest version of all the files in "masterfiles/services".

Do I need to add something so that my files under "services" are updated on each client?

Nick Anderson

Jan 18, 2018, 7:12:20 PM1/18/18
to help-cfengine
If your editing directly in masterfiles then it's possible that the clients don't see that there is updated policy. If your deploying from version control, then perhaps you have accidentally checked in cf_promises_validated. It should be in .gitignore.

Try deleting /var/cfengine/masterfiles/cf_promises_validated and /var/cfenigne/inputs/cf_promises_validated. After that do your clients see and pick up a change?

Bob

Jan 19, 2018, 9:06:25 AM1/19/18
to help-cfengine

On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 5:12:20 PM UTC-7, Nick Anderson wrote:
If your editing directly in masterfiles then it's possible that the clients don't see that there is updated policy. If your deploying from version control, then perhaps you have accidentally checked in cf_promises_validated. It should be in .gitignore.

Try deleting /var/cfengine/masterfiles/cf_promises_validated and /var/cfenigne/inputs/cf_promises_validated. After that do your clients see and pick up a change?

Guilty! This suggestion did fix the issue.

My plan is to create a staging area to edit files. Once I finish deploying 3.7, I plan to use svn/git to manage my files.

Thank you.

Nick Anderson

Jan 19, 2018, 11:14:43 AM1/19/18
to Bob, help-cfengine

Bob <buha...@gmail.com> writes:

> Guilty! This suggestion did fix the issue.
>
> My plan is to create a staging area to edit files. Once I finish
> deploying
> 3.7, I plan to use svn/git to manage my files.

Great, glad you got it working!

--
Nick Anderson
Doer of things, CFEngine

Mike Weilgart

Jan 19, 2018, 7:39:20 PM1/19/18
to Bob, help-cfengine
On Friday, January 19, 2018 at 6:06:25 AM UTC-8, Bob wrote:

My plan is to create a staging area to edit files. Once I finish deploying 3.7, I plan to use svn/git to manage my files.

When you do get to that point, if you haven't seen a post from me with scripts and policy for managing "CFEngine policy channels," please bug me about it.  :)

They're extremely mature scripts and I really can't imagine trying to manage CFEngine policy changes without them.  I've been meaning for months to do a full post about them with all the documentation and support scripts I've written, but I've never gotten around to it: but if you're interested and actively looking to use Git for policy management, I will be spurred to actually gather them up and share them.

Best,
—Mike Weilgart
Vertical Sysadmin, Inc.

--