How can i dplicate a VM(Virtual machine) using CFEngine over cloud.

sushant kumar singh

Sep 30, 2015, 3:47:12 AM9/30/15
to help-cfengine
I want to create a duplicate VM over cloud using CFEngine.
I mean if VM1 is created and I made some modifications like creating directory , download and install some software etc.
I want to create a VM2 over cloud which is exact copy of VM1 . I mean if VM2 is created the state of the VM2 should be exactly same as VM1.
so that I don't have to repeat the modifications which I have done in VM1.

Please help.

Marco Marongiu

Sep 30, 2015, 8:40:58 AM9/30/15
to help-c...@googlegroups.com
There are a lot of "it depends" that prevent anyone to give a sensible
answers.

Things you don't say:

- what cloud technology you are using
- how you would normally create VMs with that technology
- how you would normally clone a VM with that technology

Generic questions get generic answers, so here is my generic advice:
assuming you know how to do that manually:

- create a list of actions that you would do manually

- make one bundle agent for each action (each bundle should implement
exactly ONE action); if one of the bundles needs to "signal" a certain
condition to other bundles, make the relevant promises in that bundle
set global classes (e.g.: using the classes clause);

- make a "super" bundle agent that will call each of the bundles you
built at the previous step; if any of the sub-bundles should be called
only if a certain condition applies, set the appropriate class condition
for it.

Good luck

Ciao
-- bronto

sushant kumar singh

Oct 6, 2015, 4:14:09 AM10/6/15
to help-c...@googlegroups.com

    I've used openstack and Nova CLI with the CFEngine for VM creation over cloud.
    I am working on the private cloud at Reliance JIO Infocomm Ltd