How to reuse promises

Denis Weerasiri

Jun 17, 2015, 7:07:32 AM6/17/15
to help-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I am evaluating CFEngine. Other configuration and management tools support reusing resource descriptions (i.e., Promises) across other users. For example, Docker provides a registry (https://registry.hub.docker.com/), where users upload Docker Images and other users reuse them.
Is there something similar from CFEngine?

Neil Watson

Jun 17, 2015, 7:24:06 AM6/17/15
to help-c...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 04:07:32AM -0700, Denis Weerasiri wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am evaluating CFEngine. Other configuration and management tools
> support reusing resource descriptions (i.e., Promises) across other
> users. For example, Docker provides a registry
> (https://registry.hub.docker.com/), where users upload Docker Images and
> other users reuse them.

Docker is not a config management tool, but I think I take your meaning.
There are a few ready made promise frameworks for CFEngine. Unlike Chef
and Puppet, I do no encourage use of one off single purpose promises.
This leads to needlessly large promise collections to maintain. One does
not need a separate promise for each service. Instead one needs a generic
service promise that can handle all services, and you merely provide the
data for each service.

CFEngine ships with large collection of policies, some ready to use, but
most are building blocks for your own promises. Luckily we've already
built on those for you with addons:

Design Center has ready made promises, called sketches.

EFL has many ready to use promise data for system hardening and EFL is
specifically designed to be easy to write your own promises data to use
in its bundles. It will handle at least 80% of your needs. Feel free to
contact me personally for a quick tour of EFL. EFL:
https://github.com/evolvethinking/evolve_cfengine_freelib

There is also the NCF framework, but I don't know if that has ready to
use data.

--
Neil H Watson
Sr. Partner, Architecture and Infrastructure

Denis Weerasiri

Jun 17, 2015, 7:30:33 AM6/17/15
to Neil Watson, help-c...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Neil,