how to run sketches in CFEngine

manish mahajan

Jul 22, 2015, 6:43:35 AM7/22/15
to help-cfengine
i am working on integration of CFengine with openstack.
i want to run openstack sketches in CFEngine.
how to run json files in CFEngine?

Aleksey Tsalolikhin

Jul 22, 2015, 9:30:39 AM7/22/15
to manish mahajan, help-cfengine
Hi, Manish.  Be advised that the CFEngine "Design Center" is not ready for production yet. It is an experimental feature.

Please see my introduction to sketches:  http://sysadvent.blogspot.com/2012/12/day-25-cfengine-sketches.html

Use with caution as it's 2.5 years old now -- let me know if anything is out of date and I'll update it.

I'll also address your question directly -- you cannot run JSON files directly in CFEngine, but you can run policy that reads the JSON files using CFEngine functions like readjson(), and then CFEngine manages your system as driven by the data specified in the JSON.  (For example, we have a little JSON database that specifies which YUM repositories should be installed where and how they should be configured -- for example, which proxy to use, which varies from site to site as each site has its own proxy).

Hope this helps,
-at

Need CFEngine training?  Email trai...@verticalsysadmin.com

Ted Zlatanov

Jul 22, 2015, 9:15:06 PM7/22/15
to help-c...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 03:43:34 -0700 (PDT) manish mahajan <manish2...@gmail.com> wrote:

mm> i am working on integration of CFengine with openstack.
mm> i want to run openstack sketches in CFEngine.

Can you explain more specifically what you want to do? It's almost
certainly not supported now, and the OpenStack support is against an
older API, but it would help support your needs in the future.

mm> how to run json files in CFEngine?

Assuming you want to configure sketches with JSON files and run the sketches,
start with
https://docs.cfengine.com/docs/master/guide-design-center-configure-sketches-community-design-center-advanced.html

Ted

manish mahajan

Jul 23, 2015, 1:57:55 AM7/23/15
to help-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ted, Aleksey
i want to integrate openstack with CFEngine. for example:- If i want to create 500 VM's then it would be a very difficult task to make them from Horizon. I want run a script (or policy) from CFEngine to make these VM's or manage the VM's.

Ted i have seen this webinar by you and i am trying to achieve something like this:

And aleksey the file in /design-center/sketches/cloud/openstack/params/demo.json i have given all the parameters in this file, but getting problem to install and execute these sketches.

Is this possible by making policies or only by the sketches in design center.

Suggest me a way to do this.
Is it possible by Design Center or by making policies?

Aleksey Tsalolikhin

Oct 7, 2016, 6:07:30 PM10/7/16
to help-cfengine, benr...@gmail.com, Mike Weilgart, manish mahajan
Hi, Manish.  Sorry for the late reply on this but I came across Ben Roose at Ohio Linux Fest, who also asked me CFEngine's support for Open Stack, and I remembered this thread.  Ben is supporting a computing infrastructure that is currently using CFEngine and is adopting OpenStack.  Ben said he saw a lot of support for OpenStack from Chef and Puppet and was wondering if he would have to switch from CFEngine.  I had remembered something about this on help-cfengine earlier, so I dug up this thread.  (Ben is on help-cfengine now, by the way)

So, Manish, to answer your question, I don't use Design Center myself, and plan not to, until the "beta" label is lifted.  AFAIK, there are currently NO plans at CFEngine to lift the "beta" label.  Ted Zlatanov still does some work on it, though.

Ben, the only support for OpenStack from CFEngine that I've seen is in Ted Zlatanov's "sketch" (a set of CFEngine policies that becomes runnable once you configure them with your site-specific data) at  https://github.com/cfengine/design-center/tree/master/sketches/cloud/openstack which was last updated 2.5 years ago.

Description

Manage OpenStack services This sketch will start or stop OpenStack compute instances.

Ben, that's all I've got.

Anybody on the list want to add anything? Are you using CFEngine to manage OpenStack infrastructures?

Best,
Aleksey