VCS with community edition?

Nicolas Ecarnot

Sep 23, 2015, 6:04:59 AM9/23/15
to help-cfengine
Reading
https://docs.cfengine.com/latest/enterprise-cfengine-guide-best-practices.html#version-control-and-configuration-policy , it seems that all that is written is only available with the Enterprise edition.

Owning only the community edition, does it mean I have no way to automatically checkout my git repo with a standard cf provided promise?
Do I have to write my own?

Regards,

Nicolas Ecarnot

Neil Watson

Sep 23, 2015, 7:12:06 AM9/23/15
to help-cfengine
On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 03:04:59AM -0700, Nicolas Ecarnot wrote:
> Owning only the community edition, does it mean I have no way to
> automatically checkout my git repo with a standard cf provided promise?
> Do I have to write my own?

EFL has a VCS bundle that you configure to make pulls or updates at
regular intervals.
https://github.com/evolvethinking/evolve_cfengine_freelib/blob/master/HOWTO.md#promising-revision-controled-file

This is a generic bundle that you can use on the server or the client
with any VCS repo you have. Feel free to contact me for more details.

--
Neil H Watson
Sr. Partner, Architecture and Infrastructure

Ted Zlatanov

Sep 23, 2015, 8:45:51 AM9/23/15
to help-c...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 03:04:59 -0700 (PDT) Nicolas Ecarnot <nicolas...@gmail.com> wrote:

NE> Owning only the community edition, does it mean I have no way to
NE> automatically checkout my git repo with a standard cf provided promise?
NE> Do I have to write my own?

This is being planned in https://dev.cfengine.com/issues/7433

Feel free to watch to show support, and to comment if you wish.

You can also try
https://github.com/cfengine/core/blob/master/contrib/masterfiles/git-failsafe.cf
(unsupported but works in many cases).

Ted

Nick Anderson

Sep 23, 2015, 9:14:16 AM9/23/15
to help-c...@googlegroups.com
> On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 03:04:59 -0700 (PDT) Nicolas Ecarnot <nicolas...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> NE> Owning only the community edition, does it mean I have no way to
> NE> automatically checkout my git repo with a standard cf provided promise?
> NE> Do I have to write my own?

The masterfiles-stage script that enterprise uses has not been released
outside of the Enterprise version. You could however install Enterprise
hub (free for 25 hosts) pull out the script, and use it on a community
hub. Nothing inside of it requires the enterprise version itself.

As Ted notes, we do plan to release that tooling with core or under
contrib at some point.