Patching/updating with package promises

Beto

Apr 21, 2016, 3:29:59 PM4/21/16
to help-cfengine

Is there a better way to do mass patching with package promises rather than simply using a commands promise to run “yum –y update”?

Thanks!

Nick Anderson

Apr 21, 2016, 3:34:49 PM4/21/16
to Beto, help-cfengine
On 04/21/2016 02:29 PM, Beto wrote:
> Is there a better way to do mass patching with package promises rather
> than simply using a commands promise to run “yum –y update”?

I don't know if it's better or not. But you could get a list of package
updates available from packageupdatesmatching() and iterate over that
list promising to use the latest version available.

I usually just schedule yum -y update/upgrade.

signature.asc

Sean Johnson

Apr 21, 2016, 3:48:13 PM4/21/16
to help-cfengine
> Is there a better way to do mass patching with package promises rather
> than
> simply using a commands promise to run “yum –y update”?

It may not apply in your environment, but I use Spacewalk (free version
of RHN Satellite) for bulk updates. CFEngine is in charge of getting
packages installed initially, and if version matters, then I do use it
to make sure a particular version of something is installed. The number
of packages where specific version matters is significantly less than
the bulk of standard OS updates.

Nick Anderson

Apr 21, 2016, 3:50:10 PM4/21/16
to Sean Johnson, help-cfengine
Somewhat related, but still off topic I have previously used the cache
or download only options to make sure that before a patching window, all
hosts have all updates available locally.
signature.asc

Beto

Apr 21, 2016, 3:53:16 PM4/21/16
to help-cfengine, bwi...@gmail.com
Thanks, Nick

I'm not sure if it's better either, but I had overlooked that function so I learned something from your reply! :)

Neil Watson

Apr 21, 2016, 7:15:00 PM4/21/16
to help-cfengine
On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 02:48:10PM -0500, Sean Johnson wrote:
>It may not apply in your environment, but I use Spacewalk (free
>version of RHN Satellite) for bulk updates. CFEngine is in charge of

++
The reporting and scheduling of package installations provided by
Spacewalk is valuable.

--
Neil H Watson
CFEngine reporting: https://github.com/neilhwatson/delta_reporting

Beto

Apr 22, 2016, 7:25:31 AM4/22/16
to help-cfengine, cfen...@watson-wilson.ca
Thanks guys!  Appreciate the feedback.

Ted Zlatanov

Apr 24, 2016, 10:42:47 AM4/24/16
to help-c...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 12:29:59 -0700 (PDT) Beto <bwi...@gmail.com> wrote:

B> Is there a better way to do mass patching with package promises rather than
B> simply using a commands promise to run “yum –y update”?

For RedHat in particular, I like yum-cron because it can do just
security updates, for instance, but be careful: it can upgrade CFEngine
itself unexpectedly.

Ted