Some of the sketches are not available

Girish Kg

Sep 20, 2016, 6:54:04 PM9/20/16
to help-cfengine
Hi All,

I am trying to install the sketch "Applications::Nagios::NRPE"  (https://auth.cfengine.com/cfengine-design-center/sketches/applications-nagios-nrpe).

Cloned the DC from  https://github.com/cfengine/design-center.git. And I can see the  "Applications::Nagios::NRPE" is available locally. But if I execute cf-sketch and do a search I cant see it listed ( I do see a few other sketches). Can some one tell me how to resolve this please?

Note: I even did

 cf-sketch --install-all --inputs=/var/cfengine/design-center --installsource=$HOME/design-center/sketches/applications/nagios/nrpe/sketch.json but that also didnt help.

Regards
GKG

Girish Kg

Sep 21, 2016, 5:25:31 PM9/21/16
to help-c...@googlegroups.com
I regenerated the  sketches/cfsketches.json by using regenerate.pl and now I can see the sketches listed .   I installed the sketch and got the message that the sketch installed under masterfiles directory. But "list" command is not listing the newly installed sketch and  if I try to activate it complains that the sketch is not installed. but I can see the sketch under /var/cfengine/masterfiles/sketches. I am not sure whats the real problem is.

Can  someone help please

Aleksey Tsalolikhin

Sep 22, 2016, 9:54:05 PM9/22/16
to Girish Kg, help-cfengine

I haven't touched sketches in years.  I was waiting for the Design Center to come out of beta but it never did.

From what I can see, work on Design Center has been suspended.

That Nagios sketch page you cited hasn't been updated since 2014 per copyright in footer.

On Sep 21, 2016 2:25 PM, "Girish Kg" <gireesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
I regenerated the  sketches/cfsketches.json by using regenerate.pl and now I can see the sketches listed .  If I install it shows it is installed under masterfiles directory. But "list" command , doesnt  list the sketch installed and if I try to activate it complains that the sketch is not installed. but I can see the sketch under /var/cfengine/masterfiles/sketches. I am not sure whats the real problem is.

Can  someone help please

On Tuesday, 20 September 2016 18:54:04 UTC-4, Girish Kg wrote:
Hi All,

I am trying to install the sketch "Applications::Nagios::NRPE"  (https://auth.cfengine.com/cfengine-design-center/sketches/applications-nagios-nrpe).

Cloned the DC from  https://github.com/cfengine/design-center.git. And I can see the  "Applications::Nagios::NRPE" is available locally. But if I execute cf-sketch and do a search I cant see it listed ( I do see a few other sketches). Can some one tell me how to resolve this please?

Note: I even did

 cf-sketch --install-all --inputs=/var/cfengine/design-center --installsource=$HOME/design-center/sketches/applications/nagios/nrpe/sketch.json but that also didnt help.

Regards
GKG

Diego Zamboni

Sep 23, 2016, 4:25:19 AM9/23/16
to Aleksey Tsalolikhin, Girish Kg, help-cfengine
I agree - I don’t think the cf-sketch tool has been updated in a while.

However, you can still use the CFEngine code from the existing sketches! There are many of them that can be quite useful if you use them by hand in your policies.

—Diego

Neil Watson

Sep 23, 2016, 8:49:42 AM9/23/16
to help-cfengine
If the OP is looking for ready to use and still maintained policy they
can consider NCF and EFL third party policies. Both are practical,
tested, and ready to use CFEngine policy.

--
Neil H Watson @neil_h_watson
CFEngine reporting: https://github.com/neilhwatson/delta_reporting

Ted Zlatanov

Sep 24, 2016, 7:33:23 AM9/24/16
to help-c...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 14:25:31 -0700 (PDT) Girish Kg <gireesh...@gmail.com> wrote:

GK> I regenerated the sketches/cfsketches.json by using regenerate.pl and now
GK> I can see the sketches listed . If I install it shows it is installed
GK> under masterfiles directory. But "list" command , doesnt list the sketch
GK> installed and if I try to activate it complains that the sketch is not
GK> installed. but I can see the sketch under
GK> /var/cfengine/masterfiles/sketches. I am not sure whats the real problem
GK> is.

Hi Girish,

the sketches that you can install must be tagged with
`enterprise_compatible`.

This pull request adds that tag to the Applications::Nagios::NRPE sketch
in addition to fixing a 3.10 issue with Design Center:
https://github.com/cfengine/design-center/pull/460

I think it's just lack of testing that prevented that sketch from being
tagged earlier.

You can bring in the change from that pull request into your own DC
checkout. To be in the official repository, it needs to be approved by
CFEngine's developers. But you could clone
the master branch of https://github.com/tzz/design-center to a local
directory and use that for now.

I also updated my Docker CFEngine testbed to support a local DC checkout
and to activate sketches from it, which may be the easiest way to test
the above (using `WITH_SKETCHES=/my/local/checkout/of/design-center` and
`WITH_ACTIVATIONS=/file/with/Applications::Nagios::NRPE/activation`:
https://github.com/tzz/cfengine-docker-testbed#design-center-support

I hope that's helpful.

Ted

Aleksey Tsalolikhin

Sep 24, 2016, 3:05:33 PM9/24/16
to help-cfengine

Thank you for keeping the Design Center alive, Ted!

Ted Zlatanov

Sep 24, 2016, 6:37:18 PM9/24/16
to help-c...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 12:05:10 -0700 Aleksey Tsalolikhin <ale...@verticalsysadmin.com> wrote:

AT> Thank you for keeping the Design Center alive, Ted!

Of course, and I wanted to mention that I am interested in working on
some new directions for Design Center:

* managing it entirely from CFEngine (no Perl tools for installing or activating)

* conversely, making it easy to write sketches in other languages
(currently, Perl and CFEngine are supported)

* making it easy to keep your own repository of sketches

* simplifying the ideas of run environments and activations in the
simple use cases

* finishing up the tools to create a new sketch and submit it quickly

* possibly installing and running Ansible modules

In many ways this would be a "scratch your own itch" kind of project, so
if you're interested, speak up or contact me. Note that none of this is
"official" as far as CFEngine Inc., just things I'd like to work on, and
completely open-ended.

Ted