Running CFEngine EE on a VM host -- performance above 3,000 hosts?

Aleksey Tsalolikhin

May 14, 2018, 6:52:01 PM5/14/18
to help-cfengine
Hello,

My experience with running CFE EE on a VM is that it runs fine up to 3K hosts; above that, the closer you get to 4K, the longer operations in the UI take (such as removing a non-reporting host or loading a report), and above 4500 the UI starts to break (for example, removing a host -- the operation times out).

This experience is mostly on 3.6 and early 3.7.

Therefore I've been having my client run no more than 3000 VMs per hub, to maintain excellent performance and not get into the painful zone.

I was just wondering if anyone is running CFEngine EE 3.10 on a VM with 5K hosts? How is the performance?

Thanks,
-at

--
Achieve real learning.  Email trai...@verticalsysadmin.com.

Aleksey Tsalolikhin

May 14, 2018, 6:54:12 PM5/14/18
to help-cfengine
On a related note, Danny Sauer's report  is still open: cf-serverd 3.7.1 showing high system CPU usage - https://tracker.mender.io/browse/CFE-2166

--
Achieve real learning.  Email trai...@verticalsysadmin.com.

Aleksey Tsalolikhin

May 14, 2018, 7:23:45 PM5/14/18
to help-cfengine
I got hold of a few hubs running 3.10 and they show markedly lower load average numbers than their 3.7 counterparts (with about the same number of hosts).

--
Achieve real learning.  Email trai...@verticalsysadmin.com.