New release of "Learning CFEngine 3"

Diego Zamboni

Sep 13, 2017, 2:14:18 PM9/13/17
to help-cfengine
Dear CFEngine community,

I am happy to share some news with you about my book “Learning CFEngine 3”. You can also read this announcement at http://cf-learn.info/post/new-release-of-learning-cfengine-3/ (some of you may have already seen it a few days ago there).

After several years, a new release is available! You can get it right now on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07562BSWG

The biggest change is that the book is no longer published by O’Reilly - the new release is published directly by me, and distributed through Amazon as a Kindle ebook. If you purchase it, you will get updates for free as I release them.

The new Kindle edition of the book is normally priced at US$9.99 (this is lower than the previous O’Reilly price), but for one week starting today, you can buy it for 50% off, at US$4.99.

From a content point of view, this release is still focused on CFEngine 3.5.2 (just like the last O’Reilly release), but being self-published, it will receive much more frequent updates for the most recent releases of CFEngine. All errors I knew about in the last release have been fixed. One major addition is that the book now has an index. This has been a very frequent request, and it is finally a reality.

A second major change is that the book will now be also available online, for free. I have wanted to do this for a long time, and it became possible when the rights of the book were reassigned to me. The first chapter is already available online, and I will be adding the rest over the next few weeks. You can read it at http://cf-learn.info/book/.

The last O’Reilly release of the book is still available at Amazon, some other bookstores, and also at Safari Books Online. My departure from O’Reilly was an extremely amicable one, you can read the full details at http://cf-learn.info/post/new-release-of-learning-cfengine-3/. By the way, O’Reilly is right now running a promotion for Safari, which you can get for 50% off its regular price: http://bit.ly/SafariSale

I would like to thank everyone who has sent me feedback, words of encouragement and friendly pokes over the years, asking about the book. I am sorry this has taken so long, but life gets in the way sometimes and for a variety of reasons, I have only recently found the opportunity to work on the book again. Your support and encouragement has meant a lot over the years and has kept me motivated to keep working on it.

I have also restarted posting more frequently at the book’s blog (http://cf-learn.info/post/), so you can keep an eye there for news, announcements, tips and tricks. I would love to hear from you! Feel free to reply directly or to send me comments through the book website at http://cf-learn.info/contact/.

Thank you for your attention and your support!

All the best,

—Diego

Beto

Sep 13, 2017, 2:44:15 PM9/13/17
to help-cfengine
Thank you for your effort, Diego!

Natxo Asenjo

Sep 13, 2017, 4:09:42 PM9/13/17
to help-cfengine
hi,

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 8:14 PM, Diego Zamboni <di...@zzamboni.org> wrote:
Dear CFEngine community,

I am happy to share some news with you about my book “Learning CFEngine 3”. You can also read this announcement at http://cf-learn.info/post/new-release-of-learning-cfengine-3/ (some of you may have already seen it a few days ago there).

This is awesome news. Thanks and looking forward to reading it.

--
regards,
Natxo

Dimitrios Apostolou

Sep 14, 2017, 8:25:43 AM9/14/17
to Diego Zamboni, help-cfengine
Awesome news Diego, and really good to hear from you again ! :-)

Dimitris