@digitalelf: https://digitalelf.net/cf-primer/#(48)

13 vues

Christian Linden

non lue,
5 août 2016, 08:52:5305/08/2016
à help-cfengine
Hi Brian, hi Aleksey!

this handle slide doesn't help me.

<< CFEngine will tell you the handle of each promise in the debug output. >>
Great thing, but what for? I could grep for the bundle name or comment.
<< By giving each promise a unique handle you can swiftly jump back and forth between your debug output and your policy file.>>
What do you mean by that "jump back and forth", I assume the same one can do by using grep for the bundle-name or comment?

Searching through all threads there is something Mark Burgess wrote in 2010 about handles: that they are just (able to get) used in Nova for tracking dependencies.

If I use comments and depends_on.. what reason could be left to use handles with Core?

Thanks so much!

Have great weekends,
Chris

Nick Anderson

non lue,
5 août 2016, 09:15:1705/08/2016
à Christian Linden,help-cfengine
On 08/05/2016 07:52 AM, Christian Linden wrote:
> << CFEngine will tell you the handle of each promise in the debug output. >>
> Great thing, but what for? I could grep for the bundle name or comment.

You can grep for a comment. But usually handles are shorter.

> << By giving each promise a unique handle you can swiftly jump back and
> forth between your debug output and your policy file.>>
> What do you mean by that "jump back and forth", I assume the same one
> can do by using grep for the bundle-name or comment?

Yes you can. A bundle contains multiple promises so it won't get you as
close as looking for a handle or a comment.

> Searching through all threads there is something Mark Burgess wrote in
> 2010 about handles: that they are just (able to get) used in Nova for
> tracking dependencies.
> If I use comments and depends_on.. what reason could be left to use
> handles with Core?

depends_on depends on the use of handles. So you must use handles if you
are using the depends_on attribute.

signature.asc

Christian Linden

non lue,
5 août 2016, 17:04:2405/08/2016
à Nick Anderson,help-cfengine

>> << By giving each promise a unique handle you can swiftly jump back and
>> forth between your debug output and your policy file.>>
>> What do you mean by that "jump back and forth", I assume the same one
>> can do by using grep for the bundle-name or comment?
>
> Yes you can. A bundle contains multiple promises so it won't get you as
> close as looking for a handle or a comment.

That makes sense.

>> Searching through all threads there is something Mark Burgess wrote in
>> 2010 about handles: that they are just (able to get) used in Nova for
>> tracking dependencies.
>> If I use comments and depends_on.. what reason could be left to use
>> handles with Core?
>
> depends_on depends on the use of handles. So you must use handles if you
> are using the depends_on attribute.

Makes sense, too.

Thanks Nick =)

signature.asc