Orchestration with CFEngine3 and Serf

William Ott

Jun 17, 2017, 12:53:57 AM6/17/17
to help-cfengine
Greetings,

almost over two years ago I implemented an infrastructure using this kind of setup. Back then and still today I couldn't find anything similar (in the CFE3 community and elsewhere).

Serf was chosen because CFE3 community edition doesn't come with orchestration out of the box. Furthermore is it lightweight, easy to install, and decentralized.
And the way it communicates with nodes in the cluster (Grouped UDP) allows for very large clusters, with low impact on the network.
By using Serf the CFE3 nodes become aware of their environment and can act immediately to changes within it.

The example below uses AWS S3 to store CFE3 files, so that we don't need to care for our own policy hubs.

I hope it can be of use to others. I personally like it because it's simple and can be maintained by very few individuals even at a large scale,
if compared to other configuration/orchestration setups especially in the container space.

Any feedback is highly appreciated. Thank you.

Wiki of the most important parts: https://github.com/smotti/cfe3-serf-example/wiki

Kind regards.

nick.a...@cfengine.com

Jun 17, 2017, 1:39:12 AM6/17/17