best practices for upgrades

Marty Gehrke

May 8, 2015, 9:41:48 AM5/8/15
to help-c...@googlegroups.com

What have you done to your cfengine architecture to make upgrades between major versions (3.5->3.6) easier?

Neil Watson

May 8, 2015, 9:50:46 AM5/8/15
to help-c...@googlegroups.com
Some tips on upgrading here:

http://evolvethinking.com/cfengine-best-practices-deployment-upgrades-and-scaling/

--
Neil H Watson
Sr. Partner, Architecture and Infrastructure

Brian Bennett

May 18, 2015, 3:38:19 PM5/18/15
to Marty Gehrke, help-c...@googlegroups.com
Upgrades before 3.6 have always been difficult.

My process was to use git to version control masterfiles. I would have a branch with the pristine files and one with my changes. When a new version would come out I would diff any default policy files against the pristine version to have a candidate diff set to apply to the new version, and then hand pick which changes needed to go into the new set. Prior to 3.6 I avoided updating masterfiles unless I felt there was a particular need (e.g., 3.4->3.5 syntax changes) because the process was laborious.

After 3.6, the only change I make is to enable autorun, then everything else is triggered from autorun. It's now trivial to drop in updates to masterfiles without affecting my deployed policy set contained in autorun.

In any situation, it's well worth the effort to migrate everything into autorun.

--
Brian Bennett
Looking for CFEngine training?