0.7.28 build is broke

Harold A

May 19, 2011, 3:12:24 AM5/19/11
to hector-users
Hi,

I just thought you guys might want to know ... the previous release
0.7.28 build is broke ...

I'm no Maven user and I don't think I've got no plans on learning it
anytime soon, so ...

rantav-hector-6b91d93 harold$ mvn
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
Downloading:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecassandra-114/org/sonatype/oss/oss-parent/5/oss-parent-5.pom
[INFO] Unable to find resource 'org.sonatype.oss:oss-parent:pom:5' in
repository apache-staging (https://repository.apache.org/content/
repositories/orgapachecassandra-114)
Downloading: http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/sonatype/oss/oss-parent/5/oss-parent-5.pom
[INFO] Unable to find resource 'org.sonatype.oss:oss-parent:pom:5' in
repository central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)
[INFO]
[ERROR] FATAL ERROR
[INFO]

Project ID: me.prettyprint:hector:pom:0.8.0-1-SNAPSHOT

Reason: Cannot find parent: org.sonatype.oss:oss-parent for project:
me.prettyprint:hector:pom:0.8.0-1-SNAPSHOT for project
me.prettyprint:hector:pom:0.8.0-1-SNAPSHOT

[INFO]
[INFO] Trace
org.apache.maven.reactor.MavenExecutionException: Cannot find parent:
org.sonatype.oss:oss-parent for project: me.prettyprint:hector:pom:
0.8.0-1-SNAPSHOT for project me.prettyprint:hector:pom:0.8.0-1-
SNAPSHOT
at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.getProjects(DefaultMaven.java:404)
at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:272)
at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:138)
at
org.apache.maven.cli.compat.CompatibleMain.main(CompatibleMain.java:
60)
at
39)
at
25)
at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.launchEnhanced(Launcher.java:
315)
at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.mainWithExitCode(Launcher.java:
430)
Caused by: org.apache.maven.project.ProjectBuildingException: Cannot
find parent: org.sonatype.oss:oss-parent for project:
me.prettyprint:hector:pom:0.8.0-1-SNAPSHOT for project
me.prettyprint:hector:pom:0.8.0-1-SNAPSHOT
at
org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.assembleLineage(DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.java:
1396)
at
org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.buildInternal(DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.java:
823)
at
org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.buildFromSourceFileInternal(DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.java:
508)
at
org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.build(DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.java:
200)
at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.getProject(DefaultMaven.java:604)
at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.collectProjects(DefaultMaven.java:
487)
at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.getProjects(DefaultMaven.java:391)
... 12 more
Caused by: org.apache.maven.project.ProjectBuildingException: POM
'org.sonatype.oss:oss-parent' not found in repository: Unable to
download the artifact from any repository

org.sonatype.oss:oss-parent:pom:5

from the specified remote repositories:
apache-staging (https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/
orgapachecassandra-114)

for project org.sonatype.oss:oss-parent
at
org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.findModelFromRepository(DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.java:
605)
at
org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.assembleLineage(DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.java:
1392)
... 18 more
Caused by:
org.apache.maven.artifact.resolver.ArtifactNotFoundException: Unable
to download the artifact from any repository

org.sonatype.oss:oss-parent:pom:5

from the specified remote repositories:
apache-staging (https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/
orgapachecassandra-114)

at
org.apache.maven.artifact.resolver.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolve(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:
228)
at
org.apache.maven.artifact.resolver.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolve(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:
90)
at
org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.findModelFromRepository(DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.java:
558)
... 19 more
Caused by: org.apache.maven.wagon.ResourceDoesNotExistException:
Unable to download the artifact from any repository
at
org.apache.maven.artifact.manager.DefaultWagonManager.getArtifact(DefaultWagonManager.java:
404)
at
org.apache.maven.artifact.resolver.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolve(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:
216)
... 21 more
[INFO]
[INFO] Total time: 4 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Thu May 19 15:13:36 SGT 2011
[INFO] Final Memory: 3M/81M
[INFO]

Patricio Echagüe

May 19, 2011, 10:15:55 AM5/19/11
to hector...@googlegroups.com

can you try mvn clean compile from within Hector dir?

Sent from my Android

Nate McCall

May 19, 2011, 12:10:27 PM5/19/11
to hector...@googlegroups.com
What are you trying to build exactly? The tip of the 0.7.0 branch is
0.7.0-30-SNAPSHOT and the output indicates you are working against
master (0.8.0-1-SNAPSHOT).

harold alcala

May 19, 2011, 10:11:26 PM5/19/11
to hector...@googlegroups.com
I downloaded a zip file from your git repository before the 0.7.29 release I think.  Then I extracted, it there's nothing much but .java files and .pom file on each folders which I reckoned to be Maven build scrips, plus some extra stuffs.

I'm not so familiar with Maven build so I just downloaded Maven, had it running on Mac and then invoked, 'mvn' -- just I would normally do for 'ant' and 'make' builds but honestly, I'm not sure, the README didn't tell me how ...

"What are you trying to build exactly? The tip of the 0.7.0 branch is
0.7.0-30-SNAPSHOT and the output indicates you are working against
master (0.8.0-1-SNAPSHOT)."

No offense but if the above is the case then it seems that your build script is bound to fail.  I'm sure it was only 0.7.28 release when I got my hands on it just last week because just this week I'm a kinda happy with 0.7.29 release which came with .jar files included but I posted the issue I had with previous build/release coz you know, it's just kinda embarrassing and probably could shy away some new comers.

Thanks for your reply.

Patricio Echagüe

May 20, 2011, 12:01:24 AM5/20/11
to hector...@googlegroups.com
Let me clarify few things. Github is commonly used as a source repository. So from there you can clone it and build it yourself.

To build Hector (this is not Hector specific) you run:

  mvn clean package
or
  mvn clean package -DskipTests (to run faster and skip the tests)

Hector jar will be under <hector_dir>/target

Link to maven documentation:

The link above tells you how to run (not ho to learn about maven)

if you want to just use it, this is the location for the artifacts:

and the above link can be found in our wiki:

Hope it helps.

harold alcala

Jun 3, 2011, 4:58:07 AM6/3/11
to hector...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

However, if it's not too much, could you also package the source files in a jar file and in that distribution tgz file?  Thanks.

At the moment I am fine with the distribution jar files and copy and paste from examples/test suites -- they just work.  However, when it comes to multiple arguments and typing classes myself, my IDE is showing me arg0, arg1, arg2 ... and so on.  Sometimes I would like to get a feeling of typing codes myself but sometimes the row keys, column family and value can get confusing ...

harold alcala

Jun 6, 2011, 1:53:53 AM6/6/11
to hector...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I did "mvn clean package -DskipTests" just as you said.  I think what's happening here is that whenever you have a new release, the previous releases stop working because the build script's dependency is somehow pointing to most recent one. see the logs below.

$ mvn clean package -DskipTests
[INFO] Finished at: Mon Jun 06 11:23:10 SGT 2011
[INFO] Final Memory: 3M/81M