Film on Monday: The Economics of Happiness

1 view

Beth Guttridge

Nov 29, 2013, 11:52:24 AM11/29/13
to heart-and-soul-trans...@googlegroups.com

Our next Transition Town Cheltenham film night is Monday 2nd December at 7.30, when we will be showing "The Economics of Happiness" at St. Mark's Methodist Church, Gloucester Road, GL51 8PX (*not* St Mark C of E on Church Road).

For more information and a film trailer, see www.theeconomicsofhappiness.org

The Economics of Happiness describes a world moving simultaneously in two opposing directions. On the one hand, government and big business continue to promote globalization and the consolidation of corporate power. At the same time, all around the world people are resisting those policies, demanding a re-regulation of trade and finance—and, far from the old institutions of power, they’re starting to forge a very different future. Communities are coming together to re-build more human scale, ecological economies based on a new paradigm – an economics of localization.

We hear from a chorus of voices from six continents including Samdhong Rinpoche, the Prime Minister of Tibet's government in exile, Vandana Shiva, Bill McKibben, David Korten and Zac Goldsmith. They tell us that climate change and peak oil give us little choice: we need to localize, to bring the economy home. The good news is that as we move in this direction we will begin not only to heal the earth but also to restore our own sense of well-being. The Economics of Happiness restores our faith in humanity and challenges us to believe that it is possible to build a better world

Tea, coffee and biscuits or cake will be served. There will be chance for a discussion afterwards. There is no charge, but donations will be welcome to cover costs.

For details of the other films we are planning to show see http://www.transitiontowncheltenham.org.uk/events.php#TTCFilms

Beth