Discussion Questions-September 28th, 2011

nichole boutte-heiniluoma

Sep 28, 2011, 3:03:29 PM9/28/11
to HCC Introduction to Scology Fall 2011 MW
Class,

Please take the time to answer two of the following 5 questions. You
will be graded on your answers, so if you answer none, your grade is a
0 (zero). The due date (and when the post will close) is Saturday
(October 1st @ noon).

Thank you,

Mrs. B

PLEASE RESPOND DIRECTLY TO THIS POST. DO NOT START A NEW POSTING.
THOSE THAT DO THAT WILL NOT BE GRADED. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHICH
QUESTIONS YOU ARE ANSWERING.

1. How does sociology differ from simple common reasoning? Why is this
difference important?

2. Why do sociologists have to run their projects by institutional
review boards? Why are the 'golden rules' sociologists should keep in
mind when conducting research?

3. How do blogs potentially change the dynamics of media coverage in
the context of a system controlled by a few large companies? Could
bloggers be considered culture jammers?

4. What role does 'agency' play in sociology's understanding of
socialization?

5. What is an organizational structure? Describe the organizational
structure at your school or workplace and determine how this structure
might affect the organizational culture?

EC question: Answering question 6 is an opportunity for EC, you still
have to answer 2 other questions to receive full points for the grade.
Only question 6 is for ec.

6. There is a hat on a table. Someone picks up the the hat, puts it
on, and walks away. Describe the difference between informal and
formal deviance. Build on the 'hat' example above to illustrate each
of these two types of deviance.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Raquel Cervantes

Sep 29, 2011, 4:07:28 PM9/29/11
to HCC Introduction to Scology Fall 2011 MW

On Sep 28, 2:03 pm, nichole boutte-heiniluoma <nikk...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Class,
>
> Please take the time to answer two of the following 5 questions. You
> will be graded on your answers, so if you answer none, your grade is a
> 0 (zero). The due date (and when the post will close) is Saturday
> (October 1st @ noon).
>
> Thank you,
>
> Mrs. B
>
> PLEASE RESPOND DIRECTLY TO THIS POST. DO NOT START A NEW POSTING.
> THOSE THAT DO THAT WILL NOT BE GRADED. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHICH
> QUESTIONS YOU ARE ANSWERING.
>

> 2. Why do sociologists have to run their projects by institutional
> review boards? Why are the 'golden rules' sociologists should keep in
> mind when conducting research?
Sociologist have to run their projects through the institutional
review board to see if they meet ethical standards, which ensures that
the research subjects are treated properly.
The three golden rules that sociologist should keep in mind are to not
harm the subjects, second is to inform them that they are in the
study, and third they have to want to participate in the study.

> 4. What role does 'agency' play in sociology's understanding of
> socialization?

The roles agents play in sociology's understanding of socialization is
that family, school, peers, and media shape our lives into who we are
today. Family is the primary unit of socialization. Peers can
reinforce what we've already been taught or contradict it.

Patrick Garza

Sep 30, 2011, 10:26:20 AM9/30/11
to HCC Introduction to Scology Fall 2011 MW
1. Sociology differs from common reasoning in that sociology we study
and analyze in an organized fashion, and in common sense we tend to be
less organized, and just react on instinct mostly.

3. Because the media is controlled by few large companies, they can
easily control what the public hears about. The fact that blogs, or
even just the internet in general exists helps the public find out
about things the news would otherwise block from view. Bloggers could
be considered cultural jammers because they tend to be very bias and
they usually go against what the media is saying.

On Sep 28, 2:03 pm, nichole boutte-heiniluoma <nikk...@gmail.com>

taryn....@yahoo.com

Sep 30, 2011, 6:54:22 PM9/30/11
to HCC Introduction to Scology Fall 2011 MW
1. Sociology differs from simple common reasoning in that sociology we
use various types of methods,theories,analysis,investigations,research
and so on about human social activities throughout the world and with
simple common reasoning there is incomplete knowledge to support the
reasoning, rapid assumptions and so on. This difference is important
because with out sociology we wouldn't be able to properly learn and
evaluate how sociology is different from state to state and country to
country. There wouldn't be proper evidence if we relied soley off of
common reasoning.

4. Agency plays an important role in ones life in society. Once a
person has grown up and has become more independent he/she learns
right from wrong, his mistakes in life and challenges it by correcting
the mistakes for a more positive outcome. Along with these few factors
one learns the understanding as a part in socialization by how he/she
has grown up and how they put that into play in society.

EC 6. The difference between informal and formal deviance is simply
violations and nonviolations with culturally reinforced norms. The
example with the guy stealing the hat is an example of informal
deviant behavior, which resulted in an action that violated cultural
norm, which is crime. An example of formal deviance would have been
him returning the hat to the owner, versus him displaying informal
deviant behavior and just walking away with the hat.

jaysonda garcia

Sep 30, 2011, 6:59:37 PM9/30/11

wrote:
> Class,
>
> Please take the time to answer two of the following 5 questions. You
> will be graded on your answers, so if you answer none, your grade is a
> 0 (zero). The due date (and when the post will close) is Saturday
> (October 1st @ noon).
>
> Thank you,
>
> Mrs. B
>
> PLEASE RESPOND DIRECTLY TO THIS POST. DO NOT START A NEW POSTING.
> THOSE THAT DO THAT WILL NOT BE GRADED. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHICH
> QUESTIONS YOU ARE ANSWERING.
>
> 1. How does sociology differ from simple common reasoning? Why is this
> difference important?
Sociology is a science, and people come up with theories that may be
tested to be proven, or disproven.
Sociologist look for the truth in information.
Common sense, people see it as true facts, it is looked at to be
true.
Common sense is assumed information.
The difference is important simply because it shows us how sociology
gets more of the truth, it gets straight to the point, makes sure all
the facts are proven or diproven, and does not assume facts like
common sense does.

> 4. What role does 'agency' play in sociology's understanding of
> socialization?
Families, school, peers,media, adult socialization, and total
institutions.
Family is the primary unit of socialization. Parents of different
social classes raise their children differently.
School teaches you how to share, take turns, resolve arguments with
others.
Peers can teach you the same things you are learning at home, or it
can teach you something completely different.
Media teaches you the way life is "supposed" to be.
Adult socialization shows you how life is going to be. It shows you
the responsibilities you must take as an adult.
Total institutions controls everything in your life. You are supposed
to eat, sleep, study, and etc at a certain time, and do all those
things together.

Mayra Rivera

Sep 30, 2011, 7:43:15 PM9/30/11
to HCC Introduction to Scology Fall 2011 MW
1. How does sociology differ from simple common reasoning? Why is this
difference important?
--Sociology differs from simple common reasoning in that sociology we
use scientific methods to study human behavior and in common
reasoning we make assumptions.The difference is important because it
shows how sociology does research to get facts unlike common reasoning
that just assumes what is believed to be right or wrong.

4. What role does 'agency' play in sociology's understanding of
socialization?
--Family, school, peers, media, adult socialization, and total
institutions. Family is the primary unit of socialization you start
leaning values and about life from your family. In school their main
goal is to properly socialize you by teaching you how to share, take
turns, resolve conflict with words, be quiet when necessary, and speak
when appropriate. Peers become a part of your life and help you make
decisions. The media shows you stuff you don't normally see every day,
media helps you stay updated with what goes on outside your home.
Adult socialization is different responsibilities you take as an
adult. Total institutions is every day life.

EC 6. There is a hat on a table. Someone picks up the the hat, puts it
on, and walks away. Describe the difference between informal and
formal deviance. Build on the 'hat' example above to illustrate each
of these two types of deviance.
--The difference between informal and formal deviance is that informal
deviance are minor violation and formal deviance is the violation of
laws enacted by society(crime). In the example of the guy picking up
the hat its a formal deviance because he's stealing the hat which is a
crime. If the hat had been there for a few weeks and no one claimed
it, then this guy picked it up it would of been informal deviance
because the hat had no owner.

On Sep 28, 2:03 pm, nichole boutte-heiniluoma <nikk...@gmail.com>

Nick Patel

Oct 1, 2011, 1:17:26 AM10/1/11
to hcc-introduction-to-...@googlegroups.com

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 2:03 PM, nichole boutte-heiniluoma <nik...@gmail.com> wrote:
Class,

Please take the time to answer two of the following 5 questions. You
will be graded on your answers, so if you answer none, your grade is a
0 (zero). The due date (and when the post will close) is Saturday
(October 1st @ noon).

Thank you,

Mrs. B

PLEASE RESPOND DIRECTLY TO THIS POST. DO NOT START A NEW POSTING.
THOSE THAT DO THAT WILL NOT BE GRADED. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHICH
QUESTIONS YOU ARE ANSWERING.

1. How does sociology differ from simple common reasoning? Why is this
difference important?
      Sociology is different from simple common reasoning, because sociology allows us to use many different accurate resources to test our theories while studying human behavior and so in in other countries. Simple common reasoning is basically like throwing randon opinions in the air or taking a wild guess about anothers life style.

4. What role does 'agency' play in sociology's understanding of
socialization?
       Agency takes part in many different roles like familes, peers, school, media, and total institution.
  •   Family is the primary unit of socialization. Social class affects the different values kids pick up from their families.
  •   Peers function as agents of socialization who can really take parts in the way your life turns out.
  •  School - the main reason for school is to help you learn the three R's, one of the teachers main goals is to teach everyone to share, be quiet when necessary, and speak when appropraite.
  •   Media teaches and lets us know most recent topics, or important thinkgs going on that we should be concerned about and has a huge affect on our everyday decisions.
  •   Total Institutions control all the basics of day to day life, for example the time frame in which we eat, sleep, go to school, study, and play.

Tim Barnard

Oct 1, 2011, 2:18:23 AM10/1/11
to HCC Introduction to Scology Fall 2011 MW
1. How does sociology differ from simple common reasoning? Why is this
difference important?

Simple common reasoning is coming to some conclusion based on
available data. Sociology is a science that relies on the scientific
method. This is a cyclical process where you form a hypothesis, then
actively seek out additional data to either prove or disprove the
hypothesis, then reevaluate the hypothesis. Common reasoning is
analyzing existing information. As an activity it has a start and an
end. Sociology seeks to expand understanding by collecting new
information and using it to form new theories. This usually leads to
new questions and so the process is ongoing. Reasoning is a part of
the process, but it's not the only thing.

3.How do blogs potentially change the dynamics of media coverage in
the context of a system controlled by a few large companies? Could
bloggers be considered culture jammers?

The few large companies that own a large majority of the media are
corporations at their core, and so their ultimate goal is to earn
profits. It logically follows that the content they choose to
broadcast would need to be such that it improved their ability to
collect revenue. They would be more inclined to show messages that
benefit them, and exclude things that would be detrimental to them.
Specifically they wouldn't want to broadcast anything that would put
off advertisers or alienate their customers. Their very survival as a
functioning businesses requires that they behave this way to an
extent. Blogs can change this dynamic because they are not
necessarily bound by the need to please advertisers or customers.
They are relatively cheap to produce, and so can exist without popular
support. This increases the number of points of view available in the
media. Ironically the major media outlets are almost forced to cover
the blogs. The major media can find out which blogs get the most
traffic, which shows them what the people are most interested in, and
their business model forces them to compete for customers, thus the
most popular blogs get major media coverage. In this way you can
consider the blogs culture jammers, because they lessen the power the
major media outlets have. It's also interesting to note that as
certain blogs become popular enough to become profitable businesses,
they also fall prey to compromise by self interest and preservation.

EC question: Answering question 6 is an opportunity for EC, you still
have to answer 2 other questions to receive full points for the grade.
Only question 6 is for ec.

6. There is a hat on a table. Someone picks up the the hat, puts it
on, and walks away. Describe the difference between informal and
formal deviance. Build on the 'hat' example above to illustrate each
of these two types of deviance.

Informal deviance is breaking a societal norm that does not have an
explicit punishment.
Formal deviance is a criminal act which carries a punishment.
If the hat did not belong to the person who walked away with it, that
would be the crime of theft which is a formal deviance.
If the hat belonged to the person, but the person was an adult, and
the hat was a beanie with a propeller on top, that would be informal
deviance because in our society that type of hat is not considered to
be for adults. It is considered to be a toy item for children.
However no punishment is prescribed by our laws for an adult to wear
one.

kesha

Oct 1, 2011, 5:52:57 AM10/1/11
to HCC Introduction to Scology Fall 2011 MW

On Sep 29, 1:07 pm, Raquel Cervantes <raquelcervant...@yahoo.com>

Iesha Glover

Oct 1, 2011, 10:23:51 AM10/1/11
to HCC Introduction to Scology Fall 2011 MW
1. How does sociology differ from simple common reasoning? Why is this
difference important?
With common reasoning, there isn't any in depth research in to
something. a conclusion is drawn based on what you are given and what
you see at any given point in time. In sociology, there is more
research into topic before a conclusion is drawn. This is important
because the extra research used sociology weaves all the falsities
that come with just common reasoning.

3. How do blogs potentially change the dynamics of media coverage in
the context of a system controlled by a few large companies? Could
bloggers be considered culture jammers?

Larger companies only show media coverage that is beneficial to there
company. They don't essentially show the big picture of whats really
going on. Bloggers on the other hand gives a wide variety of media to
the people, not just what's beneficial to there blog. Blogs can be
considered culture jammers because they conflict with what the few
larger companies show in the media. They don't just go along with
what's "right" to show to the people, but to just put the facts and
opinions out there and the people pick and choose how they feel about
what's being shown to them.

Angel Ramirez

Oct 1, 2011, 10:41:15 AM10/1/11
to HCC Introduction to Scology Fall 2011 MW

> 1. How does sociology differ from simple common reasoning? Why is this
> difference important?
Sociology differs from simple common reasoning because in sociology
they do studies, analysis and at the end they have a hypothesis from
accurate information and researches while simple common reasoning are
just like opinions they are not evaluated they just come up with no
evidence or proof that its an accurate resource.

4. What role does 'agency' play in sociology's understanding of
> socialization?
The role that agencies play in sociology is that family, peers,
media, adult socialization and total institutions all are involved in
our dalily life such as family well mostly everyone have a family that
gives them support on what they do, well in college peers are the
people around you they can be friends or just your classmates,
everyone has media on their lif because mostly everyone has a facebook
which some people may over use it and also people see the news, adult
socialization are basically the roles that adults take such as being
parents, being providers, having jobs and taking responsibilites, and
total institutions is basically your whole life and what you do in it.

felix jackson

Oct 1, 2011, 11:22:50 AM10/1/11
to HCC Introduction to Scology Fall 2011 MW
Number 1 Sociology is the study of a group wile reasoning is more one
on one. Sociology is scientific theory's of human behavior, social
groups, and societies reasoning is natural understanding what you
think or what you were thought to believe.

Number 5 Organizational Structure is the way power and authority is
distributed within an group. The beliefs and behaviors of that group
is the Organizational Culture. At My Job as an Security Officer I have
to make sure that every body I see power and authority being
Distributed by Doctors and med staff to Janitors from rich to poor,
and people all over the world. All though they are different culture
and structural organization they do not socialize but they work
together to run a good hospital.

Number 6 Deviance is any behavior that violates cultural norms and
both formal and informal or defined as a range of punishment. taking
the hat is wrong because it is not yours but if no one saw you or
caught you is informal. informal is going ageist the norms and know
one Knows but you and formal is going against the norms by braking the
law.

Wade Mcquillen

Oct 1, 2011, 12:22:31 PM10/1/11
to HCC Introduction to Scology Fall 2011 MW
How does sociology differ from simple common reasoning? Why is this
difference important?
Sociology differs from simple common reasoning because sociologist use
scientific studies and methods to study humans to learn facts about
them, and simple common reasoning is an assumed knowledge and is not
quite proven factual. This difference is important because if
sociologist used simple common reasoning then we wouldn’t know if the
information they give us is true or not.

What role does agency play in sociology’s understanding of
socialization?
Agency plays an important role in sociology’s understanding of
socialization because they shape a person into who they will be and
create what role they will play in life. Family is usually the primary
agency being the ones there while a person is in their most
influential stages. Schools slowly get you ready to properly interact
with others. Peers teach you to make decisions and suffer the
consequences of them if you pick the wrong one. The media is also
another agency that helps to shape who we are by giving us other ideas
that our parents or peers may have not given us.

On Sep 28, 2:03 pm, nichole boutte-heiniluoma <nikk...@gmail.com>

Nathalie Garcia

Oct 1, 2011, 12:22:57 PM10/1/11
to HCC Introduction to Scology Fall 2011 MW
4. What role does 'agency' play in sociology's understanding of
socialization?

There agents of socialization play a role in society by
influencing people who to be, what to act like and what to look like.
Family is one of the most important because you are around them all
the time. Though you may not realize it how they act and talk
eventually rubs off onto you. They teach you many things as you grow
up. Like family you peers is another important factor. When at school,
you meet new friends and those friends, then begin to be a part of who
you are, since you are with them may hours. They can influence you
more than your family, in certain areas of your life. School is a
place where you suppose to learn and better yourself, but most kids
get off track. here you being to learn more responsibility. You are
responsible for getting your work done on time and asking for help
when needed. With school and friends comes peer pressure, which can be
either good or bad. Media is one of the most important because you
hear and see it everywhere. So everything you see can change the way
you think. Media also post and shows you how you should look and live
life. All these factor will influence your daily life.

1. How does sociology differ from simple common reasoning? Why is this
difference important?

Sociology is something that a person studies to see how people
act and other things that influence their behavior in society.
Sociology is based off of facts and data. Common reasoning is what
someone believes what's right or their instincts. Common sense can
also be taking as what others would do in a certain situation. The
difference is important because you always want to have a little facts
to back up your opinion or what you believe. With that the facts you
have you can explain it to other people which could be helpful.

6. There is a hat on a table. Someone picks up the the hat, puts it
on, and walks away. Describe the difference between informal and
formal deviance. Build on the 'hat' example above to illustrate each
of these two types of deviance.

When someone picks up the hat I would see that as informal
deviance because the person has actually taken to hat, but is just
looking at it. They could be thinking about taking the hat, but choose
to put it down and let the owner find it. When that person actually
takes the hat, puts it on and walks way that would be formal deviance
because they are stealing it, though it was left there. Informal
deviance is when you do something in public that isn't necessarily
like, it could be obnoxious or just making unwanted noises. Like the
hat someone picking it up, will cause others to look, since it is not
your. Formal deviance is more serious, any sort of crime, that;s
serious. Stealing is a crime, something people would not want happen
to them. So the difference is that informal is being obnoxious and
disturbing others, where as formal deviance is a crime.

susan...@yahoo.com

Oct 1, 2011, 12:50:42 PM10/1/11
to HCC Introduction to Scology Fall 2011 MW
1. How does sociology differ from simple common reasoning? Why is this
difference important?

Sociology is all about making the familiar strange. Thus, it is the
study centered around intricate social research based on years of
social patterns. Simple common reasoning is limited to one's thought
process eminating from childhood experiences as well as the
environment which one grows up in. It becomes important because in
order to create true balance, it requires that you exercise all
options and resources available to you.

4. What role does 'agency' play in sociology's understanding of
socialization?

It gives sociology an oppotunity to link social patterns togrther in
order to do commomon research, because all of us fall under some of
those important common patterns. Therefore it becomes important to
know who you are and where you're going at all times.

6. There is a hat on a table. Someone picks up the the hat, puts it
on, and walks away. Describe the difference between informal and
formal deviance. Build on the 'hat' example above to illustrate each
of these two types of deviance.

First and foremost the hat on the table represents the simple law. The
person picking the hat up represents the deviance. The formal rule
implies that if it doesn't belong to you then don't remove it from the
table. The informal part is that if noone determines that the hat is
not theirs then the hat should remain on the table.

On Sep 28, 2:03 pm, nichole boutte-heiniluoma <nikk...@gmail.com>

shaina

Oct 1, 2011, 1:08:15 PM10/1/11
to HCC Introduction to Scology Fall 2011 MW

1. How does sociology differ from simple common reasoning? Why is
this
difference important?
-SOCIOLOGY DIFFERS FROM COMMON REASONING IN A FEW WAYS. IN SOCIOLOGY
WE USE SCIENTIFIC STEPS/METHODS TO UNDERSTAND, GAIN, AND STUDY THE
HUMAN BEHAVIOR. IN COMMON REASONING YOU'RE REALLY NOT DOING MUCH,
YOU'RE MOSTLY GOING OFF OF ASSUMPTIONS AND OPINIONS RATHER THAN GOING
INTO DEPTH RESEARCH WITH WHAT YOU'RE STUDYING. THE DIFFERENCE IS
IMPORTANT BECAUSE IT INFORMS PEOPLE THAT THERE ARE DIFFERENT WAYS THAT
PEOPLE GET THEIR ANSWERS, AND HOW WE GO ABOUT TO OUR RESULTS.

4. What role does 'agency' play in sociology's understanding of
socialization?
-FAMILY: PRIMARY UNIT OF SOCIALIZATION, THAT IS WHERE WE ARE FIRST
TAUGHT RIGHT FROM WRONG AND WHAT WE ARE EXPECTED TO DO(THE
FOUNDATION).
-FRIENDS: FRIENDS CAN SOMETIMES PLAY IN THE FAMILY ROLE, BUT THEY CAN
ALSO INFLUENCE YOU IN A NEGATIVE OR POSITIVE WAY.
-SCHOOL: THIS WHERE THEY TEACH YOU HOW TO BE AROUND PEOPLE THAT ARE
DIFFERENT FROM YOURSELF, SHARE, LEARN FROM ONE ANOTHER, RESOLVE
CONFLICT VERBALLY, AND WHEN AND WHERE CERTAIN ACTIONS ARE APPROPRIATE.
-MEDIA: THE MEDIA RELEASE HOW THEY FEEL SOCIETY SHOULD BE FOR EXAMPLE,
THEY WAY WE EAT, SHOWER, DRIVE, COOK, STUDY, INTERACT WITH PEOPLE,
SHOP, ETC.

madison chatham

Jun 3, 2016, 4:34:32 PM6/3/16
to HCC Introduction to Scology Fall 2011 MW
1. Sociology is the study of human society that goes beyond common reasoning because sociologist test and modify there understanding of how the world works through scientific analysis. Sociologist tests theories using the scientific method and unlike common reasoning, utilizes methods of induction and deduction.

5. An organizational structure is the ways in which power and authority are distributed within an organization. At my school, Texas State, the school director is at the top with the advisor board, and committees. Below them are the academic programs, school coordinators advisors and consults, and last but not least professional liaisons. I think that the guidance given to us will effect our organization which will effect the patterns and behavior. Structure does not only lead to increased organizational capabilities, but also the processes that result in increased performance.

6. The difference between informal and formal deviance is that informal is against social norms and formal is against actual laws. The hat stolen was a form of formal deviance because theft is a violation of a formally-enacted law. To prove this was theft, "theft by finding" occurs when someone who chances upon an object which seems abandoned takes possession of the object but fails to take steps to establish whether the object is abandoned and not merely lost or unattended.