Wowwee Rovio

jgeidl

Mar 31, 2010, 11:33:05 PM3/31/10
to HomeBrew Robotics Club
Did anyone else buy one of these when Woot had them cheap a week or so
ago? I got mine today. They are pretty impressive. I have battery
or charger problems but taht aside they are pretty cool.

Jim, K6JMG

Chris Palmer

Apr 1, 2010, 4:00:02 AM4/1/10
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com, HomeBrew Robotics Club
I just got mine Tuesday and may also have charging issues, but won't
know until tomorrow when I give it a chance to fully charge. So far,
I've updated the firmware and logged into the setup interface from a
borrowed laptop (seems that the iPod can't do ad-hoc networking) and
setup login passwords.

I'm kind of afraid to change the network settings, since everywhere I
have wi-fi access, I believe WPA2 is required, but Rovio doesn't
support it (WEP and I think added WPA with the newest firmware).
Besides that, it could still be nifty, once I work around that issue.

Not as good as the woot deal, but a co-worker spotted a decent deal
for it on buy.com for $120 for any that feel they missed out.

-Chris

> --
> .

James M.(Jim) Geidl

Apr 1, 2010, 2:39:58 PM4/1/10
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
Chris,

Fortunately, I am in the computer repair business and had another WiFi
router around so I set it up with WEP and left my main router with full
security. I, personally, think WEP could be a deal breaker for Wowwee. I
have not figured out if it will use WPA after the firmware update, yet.
Maybe so. If so, that would be a great improvement.

You can find these on EBay right now for around $120. All of a suddenly
there is a flood of them. I am guessing these are units that people bought
on Woot and are reselling.

Jim, K6JMG
www.spinochio.com

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message; however, a large number
of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
//

Rick Taylor

Apr 1, 2010, 2:39:52 PM4/1/10
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
I got one. I had problems with the charger, too, but solved it by
getting a 9v 2.5A charger from rat shack.

Pretty happy with it! Fun and easy to interface with.

Rick Taylor

Apr 1, 2010, 2:41:05 PM4/1/10
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
It uses WPA with the firmware update. Works well for me.

James M.(Jim) Geidl

Apr 1, 2010, 2:49:47 PM4/1/10
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
GREAT! I haven't tied that yet although I installed the update. Fighting
the battery thin sorta got my attention. They are supposed to be sending me
a new wall wart.

jgeidl

Apr 1, 2010, 3:33:02 PM4/1/10
to HomeBrew Robotics Club
Rick,

I am running WPA - Personal using TKIP, not WPA2, and am unable to get
the Rovio to connect to this WAP. I connects fine to my second WAP
that just has WEP running on it. Can you tell me alittle bit more
about your WAP setup particularly how you have WPA setup?

Thanks,

Jim, K6JMG

> >> week or so
> >> have battery

James M.(Jim) Geidl

Apr 1, 2010, 3:45:04 PM4/1/10
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
Rick,

Never mind, I figured it out. Rovio does not like pass phrases. It's OK if
you use a single password but it doesn't know what to do with a pass phrase
like, "This is my passphrase." I have a very strong pass phase on my main
WiFi router. I can use WPA with the Rovio but I am still going to have to
use a separate router as I won't break down my security. I have too much
client data on my system.

John Clark

Apr 1, 2010, 7:12:42 PM4/1/10
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
I got one from woot too. Haven't had much time to play with it. Definitely need that Hack-a-day headlight upgrade. Can't wait to spy on the cat & dog from work. :)

John

Rick,

Jim, K6JMG
www.spinochio.com

James M.(Jim) Geidl

Apr 1, 2010, 7:41:20 PM4/1/10
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
I guess robots running around the house are getting old, my dogs took a
couple sniffs of the Rovio and went back to sleep.

Steven Nelson

Apr 2, 2010, 8:14:26 PM4/2/10
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
Rub a Cat on it. That might get the Dawgs attention. Heh it would probably get the Cat's attention too.

Inspection time: The period of time required to inspect a recently welded piece of metal using your bare hand.
The hoter the metal the shorter the period of inspection time

James M.(Jim) Geidl

> Rovio started up, crawled about 18" out of his (I assume it's a male) docking station, stopped, and then returned.  Not connected to the world so it had to be something internal.

...six more weeks of winter. ;-)

James M. Geidl

Apr 2, 2010, 9:43:04 PM4/2/10
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
I knew it had to be something simple like that!

Jim

Sent directly out of my pocket!

From: Camp Peavy <cpe...@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 18:04:55 -0700 (PDT)

> Rovio started up, crawled about 18" out of his (I assume it's a male) docking station, stopped, and then returned.  Not connected to the world so it had to be something internal.

...six more weeks of winter. ;-)

George Warner

Apr 2, 2010, 10:14:29 PM4/2/10
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
I got one… love the omniwheels; hate the dark video…

--
Enjoy,
George Warner, (408)974-0668

George Warner

Apr 2, 2010, 10:16:08 PM4/2/10
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
After updating the firmware (via VirtualBox) I was able to connect to my Rovio via WPA.

On Apr 1, 2010, at 11:39 AM, James M.(Jim) Geidl wrote:

> Fortunately, I am in the computer repair business and had another WiFi
> router around so I set it up with WEP and left my main router with full
> security. I, personally, think WEP could be a deal breaker for Wowwee. I
> have not figured out if it will use WPA after the firmware update, yet.

James M.(Jim) Geidl

Apr 2, 2010, 11:22:24 PM4/2/10
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
George,

That's funny, I have really bright video. Someone else said something about
wanting to get the headlights for it which lead me to believe that they were
having dark video problems. Are you having any problems with charging?

BTW, one of my personalities likes schizophrenics.

Jim, K6JMG
www.spinochio.com

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message; however, a large number
of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
//

James M.(Jim) Geidl

Apr 2, 2010, 11:23:26 PM4/2/10
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I got mine working to but it sure doesn't like password phrases with
spaces in them.

Jim, K6JMG
www.spinochio.com

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message; however, a large number
of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
//

Steven Nelson

Apr 3, 2010, 12:29:19 AM4/3/10
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
Gee I'm starting to get Rovio envy now that everyone but me has one. Sniff...

James M.(Jim) Geidl

Apr 3, 2010, 10:42:39 PM4/3/10
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com

On Apr 3, 2010, at 5:05 PM, Chris Beasley wrote:
Anyone know where I can source some cable?  I need 12 guage three conductor shielded. I have tried about a dozen places so far with no luck. I got 10/2 shielded from a marine supply place.  No joy on the 12/3.

Both Halted Specialties and Weird Stuff Warehouse carry a wide variety of unusual cables. You'll probably have to go to these stores in person to see if they have what you want, but here are their websites.

.                    png

Steven Nelson

Apr 3, 2010, 10:47:51 PM4/3/10
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
Here's a 3 conductor cable in 12 gage

Chris Beasley

Apr 4, 2010, 1:03:40 AM4/4/10
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
Perfect!  Thanks!

Christopher(dot)Beasley7(at)gmail(dot)com

Nathaniel Lewis

Apr 4, 2010, 12:53:50 PM4/4/10
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com

I don’t have one either.  That what my PC bot is suppose to do.

Steven Nelson

Apr 4, 2010, 2:52:53 PM4/4/10
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
Oh ya Ethel is still a never ending project but as a builder I'm often distracted by something shiny on the floor. "Ooh what's that? Hmm maybe I could take it apart.... Now if I added some lithium ion cells and a chain saw....

Chris Palmer

Apr 15, 2010, 2:15:38 AM4/15/10
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
Hi, all...

An update of my experiences with the new Rovio. My first mail to HBRC
about the battery reported that I might have also had probelms with the
battery, but after additional charge cycles, I haven't noticed it having
any problems (nor have I really measured how long it runs, but at least
it doesn't stop dead 30 seconds after leaving the charger like its
maiden voyage).

Regarding the wifi configuration... I banged on this for quite a while
when I was first running the setup program on Windows XP and discovered
the same issue with the thing not liking spaces in the passphrase. I
temporarily simplified the passphrase and then after it successfully
connected to my WPA2 router (yes, after the latest stable firmware
update, WPA2 is supported), I was able to change the passphrase thru the
Rovio's web interface configuration to a more complex passphrase.
Finally, I then changed my wifi router back to its more complex
passphrase and the Rovio was able to connect. The problem with spaces
is in the setup program itself and not the Rovio.

Currently, my Rovio connects to my wifi, but when I leave it on all day,
sitting in the charger, it loses the wifi connection at some point and
never reconnects. I emailed Wowee support about it (after a week being
out of town, the Rovio's LED was orange indicating no connection, but
also after just a day at work, I couldn't get to my Rovio even tho the
LED was still green, until I power-cycled it). They recommended I re-do
the setup and use a static IP instead of DHCP. I haven't tried making
the changes, yet, but thought I'd pass on the info, in case anyone else
was having this issue. My DHCP server will give my Rovio the same IP
every time, so I don't know how this will help, unless there are issues
with the DHCP client on the Rovio (seems possible).

-Chris

James M.(Jim) Geidl

Apr 15, 2010, 3:03:08 PM4/15/10
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
Chris,

Thanks for the info. As to the power issues, WowWee said they were sending
me a new adapter so I am not going to do anything until that arrives. I too
have problems with Rovio loosing connection. I also have reservations set
in DHCP so it will get the same IP every time but I will try a static and
see what happens.

Alan Marconett

Apr 15, 2010, 3:43:57 PM4/15/10
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
Jim, Robin,

That's seems to be what my T60 vs. SRV-1 problems are boiling down to. My
T60 uses defined IP addresses, while the SRV-1 wants DHCP.

I stumbled onto the ThinkPad utilities, my shortcut/menu on the desk doesn't
work, but the utilities look to be all there, and I can now get to the
familiar wireless setup "Access Connections". Doesn't seem to want me to
use defined IP's with AdHoc.

I found the drivers and possibly an Access Connections update, but didn't
see either address DHCP problem. I haven't downloaded the updates yet.

I can apparently use a serial connection and access the SRV-1's wireless
configuration to infrastructure, and change it's IP to see my local net.
Haven't figured that all out yet, and I may even have some of the facts
backwards. But then it needs my home network?

What I don't fully understand is which way would be best. I think I'd like
the SRV-1 to talk to my local network, so that I can get the video and
control the SRV-1 from either my T60, or my desktop machine (does it work
that way). But I'd also like to run the SRV-1 direct from the T60, for when
the 'bot is on the road (HBRobotics meetings?) I'm not sure what can be
done, or what is the best way to configure. But just getting something
working first would be good.

T60 doesn't seem to be completely flexible in this respect (supporting DHCP
for one connection, and fixed IP on another). Maybe I'm just missing a
setting somewhere!

Alan KM6VV
P.S. 'Hope your WowWee gets well!

James M.(Jim) Geidl

Apr 15, 2010, 11:06:30 PM4/15/10
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
Alan,

The more I read about what you have and are doing the more confused I
become. Why don't you give ma a call tomorrow and I will see if I can help.
I have the SRV-1 instructions. I need to know what brand/model router/modem
you have from your ISP.

I think what is going on is that your ISP has set your router/modem to a
different subnet than what the SRV-1 is set on and therefore you are never
going to see the SRV-1 until we get them both connected to the same stuff
(technical term for network settings).

We can use the serial setup to reset the SRV-1 to things that will match
your network and you will probably be good to go.