Fwd: The Men Who went to War 1914-1918: Commemorative Exhibition

Jane Roberts

Nov 7, 2016, 3:26:19 PM11/7/16
to hayfie...@googlegroups.com
Begin forwarded message:
From: Elizabeth Wade <liz.w...@gmail.com>
Subject: The Men Who went to War 1914-1918: Commemorative Exhibition

Dear All

The Battle of the Somme began on 1 July 1916 and ended in November, when the weather and the exhaustion of both armies brought the battle to a ragged close. The British army lost 420,000 men and advanced only 2 miles over that summer and autumn.

On 20 November 2016 - 100 years after the end of the Battle of the Somme, we will commemorate the Battle and some of the Oxford men who died fighting there.
JRR Tolkien, who fought there, wrote: 'I lost my best friends on the Somme'. Churchill called it 'The Graveyards of Kitchener's Army'.

There will be a Commemorative Exhibition in St Margaret's Institute featuring the men of St Margaret's, St Giles and St Matthew's Grandpont, and a continuous showing in the hall of The Battle of the Somme - a film made in 1916 and shown both to people at home and to soldiers in the trenches that autumn - with the original cinema piano score. Visitors are free to drop in or stay for the entire film.

At 3.45 p.m. there will be talks by Dr Kate Tiller, Reader in English Local History at Kellogg College on 'War Memorials and Local History' and by Liz Wade, Alison Bickmore and Liz Woolley on the men of the three parishes they have researched.

This will be followed at 4.55 p.m. by a new documentary film 66 Men of Grandpont 1914-1918  (45 minutes) about the innovative community history project undertaken by Liz Woolley and her team.

Many thanks

Liz Wade

Lib Dem City Councillor for St Margaret's Ward

28 Polstead Road, Oxford OX2 6TN

07984 602723

THE MEN WHO WENT TO WAR +portraits2(1).pdf