Cherry Trees Petition Update (re Aristotle House redevelopment)

J Dyson

May 11, 2017, 1:15:38 PM5/11/17
to Hayfield Road

Hello Neighbours,

I've now taken in the Cherry Trees Petition and plan to deliver it to the owners of the Aristotle House site, Wadham College, this week.

The petition was created in order to request that the mature flowering fruiting cherry trees in the Aristotle House carpark, and which branch out over into Hayfield Road, be replaced with like-for-like cherry trees. (They are due to be cut down as part of the redevelopment of the site, so this spring 2017 was the last year we shall see their lovely early blossom. New trees are definitely on the plans for the Aristotle House site, but not which species.)

There are 225 signatories to this physical paper-and-pen petition in support of re-planting flowering, fruiting cherry trees: this high number of signatories is a clear indication that both local residents (from the wider neighbourhood all around the hub that is The Hayfield Deli, Aladdin, the Anchor and Aristotle House) and also regular visitors to the street and to this ‘hub’, would like flowering cherry trees to be re-planted once the new development is complete (the majority of comments).

There were also some very useful ideas as to other flowering and / or fruiting trees that could also be planted.

Some people have expressed a wish that the current trees remain. (I personally would love at least two of the biggest of the current cherry trees to be spared — I would have thought that might be possible! However, I do know that officially there is now no chance that any of the cherry trees will be saved.)

I plan to present this Hayfield Rd / Aristotle House Cherry Trees Petition to Wadham College tomorrow.

I've phoned Wadham College and explained that the petition was started by myself in good faith, without any rancour, is not part of any local Residents' Associations' activities, and was just to see what local people think about the trees: I didn't want Wadham to think that the petition represented any kind of negativity towards either the College or the proposed new development of the site at Aristotle House!

Best wishes, Julie Dyson

The Comments on the petition are as follows:

The trees are a special part of the road and are 30+ years old. They lift our spirits the spring. Pleases do not destroy them.

I love the trees. Please keep them. They are old and they live here and they cannot be replaced with new trees. Please help.

Please protect these lovely uplifting trees.

Love these, please spare.

They make the road look nice.

These trees are the sunshine of the street!

[Re the petition:] This is great!

We get so much enjoyment from the trees!

If you have to cut them down please re-plant with flowering cherries.

Pls re-plant with flowering cherries!

Please, please, please.

Please!

Please, please, please!

Yes please.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

North Oxford always has had early blossom.

I love those cherry blossoms!

Even as a regular visitor I shall miss them.

The Hayfield Road environment is important.

What folly and greed.

The trees are so necessary for first insects — and people!

Fruit- and seed-bearing trees are so important!

The blossoms are so nice every spring, it would be a shame for them to go.

I work here – love the blossoms.

We strongly support replacing the trees but NOT with the dark leaved variety; we suggest instead Sakura Yedoensis which is the principle Japanese variety to be seen at springtime.

They are very important.

I lived in Hayfield Road for a year, they add a lot to the street.

Spent much time on Hayfield Road & love their presence.

What about almond trees? Prunus dulcis – native to Europe.

Don’t cut beauty.

[Then seven ditto marks under this previous comment, ie from seven people.]

Save the blossom bearers!

Save them!

The trees bring us joy.

Keep them they’re beauti[ful]

A crime to destroy these lovely trees.

Part of the community!

More greenery please!

Heartbreaking to see them go.

I love flowering trees.

Beautiful blossom needed.

Save the trees!

Ex-Hayfield Rd resident — save the trees!

I would consider other blossom trees as well. There are others such as crabapple that are great for seasonal interest — Everest is particularly good!

I love the blossom when I come to the street during the spring.

Pls plant new cherry trees as soon as possible.

Beautiful trees, lovely blossom, have loved them for years.

Please plant lots more!

Please keep the plants!

Like for like.

Too beautiful to do without.

Terrible to cut down but replace with mature trees.

Need more trees!

More trees please!

Please replace to maintain the look.

Leave our trees alone.

Can development be around [the] trees?

Apple trees would be nice too!

They greatly enhance the street.

Please keep the trees or plant new ones.

PLEASE

Thank you! [for this petition]

Save them!

Don’t cut them down??????

Please.

Keep trees alive, here and somewhere new.

Thank you [for this petition]

Thank you [for this petition]

Precious for people, birds and all wildlife.

Can’t we keep them. They are so lovely.

No no no.

Your regular visitor.

Regular visitor.

Please replace with mature flowering trees.

Regular tree-loving visitor, ex-Oxford resident. Please plant trees!

Regular visitor, loves trees, they are so important for wildlife.