Aristotle House planning application

Catherine Robinson

Jul 20, 2016, 2:44:15 AM7/20/16
to hayfie...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks to the Hayfield Road Residents’ committee for yesterday’s printed newsletter, giving details of the full planning application for redevelopment of the wharf site opposite the Deli.

If you aren’t familiar with the City Council’s planning website, obtaining access to it can be a bit daunting. So here is a direct link to the application in question:

Click on “Documents” – of which there are 33! The most informative of these are probably the Design and Access Statement and the Transport Assessment (Part 1).

The Site Plan (attached herewith) shows what an intensive development is planned for the site: four x 4-bedroomed houses, 2 x 2-bedroomed flats, plus offices of a similar capacity to the present office building.

I would urge everyone to attend the Residents’ Association meeting at The Anchor at 6 pm on Sunday 24 July, organised by our Committee, to discuss the plans – and then to submit their comments via the Planning Department website (address above) by 12 August.

My main concern is the inadequate provision of on-site parking for the new development: just 8 places for the offices (2 of which will be designated for disabled drivers), one each for the four-bedroom houses, and none at all for the two-bedroom flats. Inevitably this will increase pressure for on-street parking spaces, which is already intense. Some of Mahdy’s suppliers have refused to deliver goods to the Deli because their vans can’t park close to the shop. The situation can only get worse if the planning application is approved without modification.

Please submit comments to the Council by 12 August!

Catherine Robinson
12 Hayfield Road
16_01789_FUL-SITE_PLAN-1749435.pdf

Catherine Robinson

Jul 26, 2016, 5:35:27 AM7/26/16
to hayfie...@googlegroups.com
Neighbours: if you click on http://public.oxford.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=O9VVN4MFH1B00 , the website with details of the plans to develop the canal wharf site, you will see that residents in properties south of Hayfield Road are starting to argue for all the demolition and construction traffic to be routed along Hayfield Road, rather than down Polstead Road and along Kingston Road. They also want access to the redeveloped wharf site to be available exclusively from Hayfield Road, rather than access to the new offices being provided via an entrance opposite the Aladdin Garage.

They are arguing forcefully that the cross-roads by The Anchor is a dangerous junction where the lives of school children will be imperilled by the demolition and construction traffic (and subsequently by traffic accessing the offices). They fail to acknowledge that Hayfield Road is similarly used as a route to school by large numbers of children, that it is too narrow to allow two-way traffic by HGVs, that it is a registered cycle route, and that our houses are so close to the street that they risk being damaged by the passage of HGVs.

This issue affects all residents of Hayfield Road. Even if you have no opinions about the proposed design of the houses, offices, and flats, please please register objections to the use of our road by demolition and construction traffic (and insist that no such traffic should be allowed between the hours of 8 am and 9 am, and 3 pm and 4 pm, during the school term – which would deal with the objections of householders to the south).

At the same time, please urge the planning authorities not to grant residents’ and visitors’ on-street parking permits to the new houses and flats (which will have one on-site parking space per dwelling). The parking survey commissioned by the developer was wholly unrealistic, having been conducted last July, when significant numbers of residents would have been away. This is another issue which affects us all, even those who live at the north end of our street.

The deadline for comments is Friday 12 August.

Catherine Robinson,
12 Hayfield Road

Dima Pasechnik

Jul 26, 2016, 7:38:18 AM7/26/16
to hayfie...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 10:35 AM, Catherine Robinson
<catherine....@homecall.co.uk> wrote:
> Neighbours: if you click on
> http://public.oxford.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=O9VVN4MFH1B00
> , the website with details of the plans to develop the canal wharf site, you
> will see that residents in properties south of Hayfield Road are starting to
> argue for all the demolition and construction traffic to be routed along
> Hayfield Road, rather than down Polstead Road and along Kingston Road. They
> also want access to the redeveloped wharf site to be available exclusively
> from Hayfield Road, rather than access to the new offices being provided via
> an entrance opposite the Aladdin Garage.
>
> They are arguing forcefully that the cross-roads by The Anchor is a
> dangerous junction where the lives of school children will be imperilled by
> the demolition and construction traffic (and subsequently by traffic
> accessing the offices). They fail to acknowledge that Hayfield Road is
> similarly used as a route to school by large numbers of children, that it is
> too narrow to allow two-way traffic by HGVs, that it is a registered cycle
> route, and that our houses are so close to the street that they risk being
> damaged by the passage of HGVs.

I've just submitted an objection; by the way, as far as I am concerned
they should use the canal for demolition/construction traffic.

I can also point out that the objection to demolition/construction
traffic on the basis of Hayfield being used by pedestrians and cyclist
a lot is not very promising; more promising seems to argue about much
higher population density, absence of front gardens, and street width
(Polstead is wider, I think).

Best,
Dima

Reasons for comment:- Access
- Effect on pollution
- Effect on privacy
- Effect on traffic
- Noise and disturbance
- On-street parking
- Parking provision
Comments:I would like to strongly object against a possibility to use
Hayfield Rd for demolition/construction traffic for the project. As
opposed to Kingston and Polstead, Hayfiled has no front gardens, and
is narrower than Polstead. Hayfield has much higher resident density
than Polstead and Kingston. Our front windows would be literally 3
yards, or even less, away from a passing HGV.

Has the applicant considered using the canal for
demolition/construction traffic? The site has a wharf adjacent to it.

As well as Kingston, Hayfield is a designated bicycle route, very busy
with cycle traffic at peak times. It is also very important that
Hayfield is heavily used by pedestrians, particularly school children,
during school (Phil & Jim CoE Primary) arrival/leave times.

Regarding parking provisions; Hayfield Rd. is already parked full with
resident's cars. It looks that the only realistic option for the new
dwellings is that they are not allocated any on-street parking permits
at all, or that these permits exclude Hayfield as a possible parking
location.