Socks!!!!! Please... for the homeless...this Christmas

J Dyson

Dec 14, 2015, 10:21:46 AM12/14/15
to Hayfield Road
Hello Hayfield Roaders,

BBC Radio Oxford is doing a "Socks Appeal" Christmas push to gather socks for the homeless. I'm going to Radio Oxford to do my regular chatting-slot on the midday Kat 'n' Co programme on Monday 21st December, and I'd love to turn up with a nice bag of nice warm socks from Hayfield Road and the surrounding neighbourhood - if possible!

Homeless people go through a huge number of socks, apparently, and it's one of the best things you can do for them - give them nice socks!  Warm and thick ones are lovely of course, but all kinds are welcome.  Homeless people are men predominantly - so large sizes are especially welcome I think. But a large number of women are homeless too, so all adult sizes are needed.

On the Radio they suggest you just buy a pair of socks with your weekly grocery shop (as most supermarkets sell socks) and donate them. You can take them to Radio Oxford offices in Summertown, but I can save you the effort - just bring them to Number 27 Hayfield Road and I'll bag them up and take them.

But the socks don't need to be new - if you have any pairs that you don't use - too big, too thick, too floppy, too tight, wrong colour, too long, too short... Ghastly present from Auntie Nellie.... do donate these too (washed and paired would be nice!!! 😉...!!!

I'm also going to ask Mahdi if I can put a notice about this in his shop, the Hayfield Deli, and there's a chance he may allow socks to be collected there too... That would be especially easy for people.... I'll see.

Best wishes!

Julie No 27