Re planning app. for 1H Hayfield Road 16/00761/FUL

Catherine Robinson

May 4, 2016, 3:04:21 PM5/4/16
to hayfie...@googlegroups.com
Dear Neighbours

Having submitted my own comments on the proposed change of use at 1H Hayfield Road from ‘Dwelling House’ to ‘House in Multiple Occupation’, I would urge all concerned residents to do the same. Presumably the planners will take more notice if there is evidence of widespread concern.

The deadline for submitting comments is 10th May. The process is very simple, using this link: http://public.oxford.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=dates&keyVal=O48EI2MF0TQ00. I sent the following objection:

Hayfield Road is a narrow, densely populated street of terraced houses. Competition for parking spaces is intense, especially in the evenings when residents have returned home from work. My visitors sometimes have to park 300 yards away at the far (northern) end of the street, or even further. An HMO at 1H will almost certainly increase pressure on spaces. Denial of residential and visitors’ parking permits would make no difference outside the CPZ controlled times, i.e. in the evenings, when the congestion is at its worst, and at weekends. If permission is granted later this year for four 4-bedroom houses on the canal wharf next to the properties at 1 Hayfield Road, with only one off-street space per house, the competition for space will become even more intense.

I also fear the prospect of noisy parties in this quiet residential street. Long-term residents in Hayfield Road, living in very close proximity to each other, respect their neighbours’ right to peace and quiet. Short-term tenants in an HMO are perhaps less likely to do so. If a precedent is set at 1H and other applications follow, the character of the community is likely to change – and not for the better.

Catherine Robinson
12 Hayfield Road

Dima Pasechnik

May 5, 2016, 8:14:37 AM5/5/16
to Catherine Robinson, hayfie...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,
the more I read these threads, and the longer I live on Hayfield Rd
without a car, yet
having to endure the heavy traffic and car noise early in the morning
and late at night,
the more convinced I become that the parking problem on Hayfield Rd
should be solved
by something like dedicated parking spots for residents with permits,
and parking spots
reserved for visitors.

I wonder why this has not been implemented, and why I often see under
my windows cars
parked without any valid permits, even overnight (I take it that
things like "Off-peak parking
permit for the University of Oxford" does not allow one to park on
Hayfield Rd for more than
2 hours).

Ideally, I'd dream about a parking meter, with a part of income from
it going towards reducing
my (and other residents without cars) council taxes... :-)

Thanks,
Dmitrii
> --
> --
>
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/hayfieldroad?hl=en
>
> ---
> "HayfieldRoad" group.
> email to hayfieldroad...@googlegroups.com.

Rona Cant

May 5, 2016, 8:32:10 AM5/5/16
to Dima Pasechnik, Catherine Robinson, hayfie...@googlegroups.com
What we need is an increase in Traffic Wardens who deal with the unlawful parking in this road and others quickly and effectively.  The money recovered from the illegal parking would go towards paying their salaries so it would have two benefits.

The very last thing I would want to see in this or any other road in Oxford is parking meters.  Having lived in London for a good number of years they are an eyesore and cause a lot of problems for prams, wheelchairs and those with impaired sight.

If the law is upheld we won't have a problem.

Rona

C THORNTON

May 5, 2016, 9:00:18 AM5/5/16
to HayfieldRoad

May 5, 2016, 9:36:41 AM5/5/16
to Rona Cant, Dima Pasechnik, Catherine Robinson, hayfie...@googlegroups.com
I agree Rona.

There is a problem however regarding the number of permits. i just renewed mine and was horrified to find that one can now apply for 4 permits per address as long as the vehicles are all registered to different people! And because the fee per permit goes up for more vehicles there is sone incentive to the council to issue more.

Dima Pasechnik

May 5, 2016, 10:00:47 AM5/5/16
to Rona Cant, hayfie...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 1:32 PM, Rona Cant <rona...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What we need is an increase in Traffic Wardens who deal with the unlawful
> parking in this road and others quickly and effectively. The money
> recovered from the illegal parking would go towards paying their salaries so
> it would have two benefits.

No, markets are not a universal solution. The way proposed won't work
(it's akin to measuring the quality of police work by the number of
criminals caught - when police works well, criminals disappear). As
soon as parking wardens will start working as they should, the parking
fines will dry up. Then what?

> The very last thing I would want to see in this or any other road in Oxford
> is parking meters. Having lived in London for a good number of years they
> are an eyesore and cause a lot of problems for prams, wheelchairs and those
> with impaired sight.

Come on, a card-only meter is a small box, can be installed on a wall,
next to a light pole, and takes almost no space.

But indeed, Oxford can learn from London and introduce traffic
congestion charges for non-local cars.

> If the law is upheld we won't have a problem.

Still, this won't solve the problem of too many cars (with permits
etc) trying to park, legally.

Dima

Dima Pasechnik

May 5, 2016, 10:23:36 AM5/5/16
to Catherine Robinson, hayfie...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 8:04 PM, Catherine Robinson
<catherine....@homecall.co.uk> wrote:
> Dear Neighbours
>
> Having submitted my own comments on the proposed change of use at 1H
> Hayfield Road from ‘Dwelling House’ to ‘House in Multiple Occupation’, I
> would urge all concerned residents to do the same. Presumably the planners
> will take more notice if there is evidence of widespread concern.
>
> The deadline for submitting comments is 10th May. The process is very
> simple, using this link:
> http://public.oxford.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=dates&keyVal=O48EI2MF0TQ00.
> I sent the following objection:
>
> Hayfield Road is a narrow, densely populated street of terraced houses.

You must have meant "densely populated by cars". :-)
In densely populated (think high-rise apartment blocks) streets people
do not have cars, or at least do not park them on the street.

> Competition for parking spaces is intense, especially in the evenings when
> residents have returned home from work. My visitors sometimes have to park
> 300 yards away at the far (northern) end of the street, or even further.

This is horrible, horrible... Did you hear about park and ride?

> An HMO at 1H will almost certainly increase pressure on spaces.

or decrease, hopefully?

> Denial of
> residential and visitors’ parking permits would make no difference outside
> the CPZ controlled times, i.e. in the evenings, when the congestion is at
> its worst, and at weekends. If permission is granted later this year for
> four 4-bedroom houses on the canal wharf next to the properties at 1
> Hayfield Road, with only one off-street space per house, the competition for
> space will become even more intense.
>
> I also fear the prospect of noisy parties in this quiet residential street.
> Long-term residents in Hayfield Road, living in very close proximity to each
> other, respect their neighbours’ right to peace and quiet. Short-term
> tenants in an HMO are perhaps less likely to do so. If a precedent is set at
> 1H and other applications follow, the character of the community is likely
> to change – and not for the better.

Oy gevalt, hoi-polioi will come and ruin our truly exclusive enclave.
Unspeakable, unspeakable might start to happen, e.g. the almost always
absent oligarch owner of the Bridge House would sell out, and normal
folks would move in...
It is already happening, e.g. I don't see a Rolls-Royce parked on
Frenchay Rd any more...

Sorry, just cannot resist posting this... :-)
Dima