Can somebody post slides of Haxe Macros? [Haxe macros: meta-programming done right, Juraj Kirchheim]

Alex Kolpakov

Jun 29, 2015, 1:31:12 AM6/29/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
I would like to ask Juraj or somebody who have the slides from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP5_tmJTBjw
to post them on-line as the video quality is too low.

Thank you,
Alex.

Juraj Kirchheim

Jun 29, 2015, 11:40:12 AM6/29/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Oh boy, I'm really not sure where they are. I do remember having sent them to Silex way back when, but I can't find them on their site either.

But don't let that worry you. All the code there is from the era before Simn added made macros usable without tink (printing, traversing, reification), so it is somewhat updated.

You might find these examples from this year's workshop more useful: https://github.com/macronauts/haxe-macro-workshop-2015

Also, if you have any concrete questions, just ask ;)

Best,
Juraj

aleksejs-...@altplus.co.jp

Jun 29, 2015, 9:10:40 PM6/29/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
I do! I do! :) I have a question about contexts, expressions and...magic?

What I'm really trying to do is to see if I can access a variable that is about to be set by a value.
For example if we have:

var a:IntWrappedInAbstract = 5;
a = 100; // at this moment of setting, can the @:from method access the current value of `a` to know that it's 5?

That's my biggest question and I can't find a solution so far.
And it doesn't even has to be an abstract but any expression in general. And of course I want it all to be implicit so the programmer, ideally, wouldn't even know that there's a macro when using that class/abstract.

Thanks,
Alex.

Juraj Kirchheim

Jun 30, 2015, 2:27:02 AM6/30/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 3:10 AM, <aleksejs-...@altplus.co.jp> wrote:
I do! I do! :) I have a question about contexts, expressions and...magic?

What I'm really trying to do is to see if I can access a variable that is about to be set by a value.
For example if we have:

var a:IntWrappedInAbstract = 5;
a = 100; // at this moment of setting, can the @:from method access the current value of `a` to know that it's 5?

That's my biggest question and I can't find a solution so far.
And it doesn't even has to be an abstract but any expression in general. And of course I want it all to be implicit so the programmer, ideally, wouldn't even know that there's a macro when using that class/abstract.

As explained in the other thread, overriding `=` in the language is a bad idea in Haxe. But you can use `Compiler.addGlobalMetaData` to add a global build macro and then support this by hand.

Best,
Juraj