TodoMVC in Haxe (call for comments)

Timothy Farrell

Mar 1, 2015, 11:14:14 PM3/1/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
I've created a TodoMVC implementation in Haxe (ported from the jQuery implementation).  My intention is that this could a part of a new developer tutorial but before that I'd like any comments or suggestions from experienced Haxe developers.

https://github.com/explorigin/todomvc-haxe

Thanks

Confidant

Mar 3, 2015, 11:22:00 AM3/3/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for doing that! Someday I would like to see (or make) a todo example that uses a virtual dom and has server-side database integration, perhaps using Haxedom. No other comments at this time. :)

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

Mar 3, 2015, 1:35:47 PM3/3/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Great, this is the stuff Haxe needs, specially when it comes to web projects. Thank you for sharing!

— Marcelo.

On Mar 3, 2015, at 10:22 AM, Confidant <al...@alteredegg.com> wrote:

Thanks for doing that! Someday I would like to see (or make) a todo example that uses a virtual dom and has server-side database integration, perhaps using Haxedom. No other comments at this time. :)

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

Mar 3, 2015, 1:37:48 PM3/3/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Btw, interesting thing that you use haxe.Template there. I was expecting EJS or something alike instead, but that was an interesting surprise.

Timothy Farrell

Mar 3, 2015, 2:37:22 PM3/3/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Haxedom is technically interesting but I feel that it is still too low-level to be practical (because you're essentially dealing with the DOM).  Perhaps merging Haxedom with something like Mithril would be really cool!

Confidant

Mar 4, 2015, 6:39:13 PM3/4/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
On that note, on the Mithril-Hx site there is a Todo example and a Node.js rendering example.

Jörg Wasmeier

Mar 5, 2015, 3:13:20 AM3/5/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

i think it looks very good. I would suggest to separate the Templates to external files with a little Macro so i think it looks cleaner and in the example we use a little macro power.

If you like the idea i can create an fork of the repo and implement the changes.

greets

Jörg Wasmeier

Mar 5, 2015, 3:16:05 AM3/5/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Oh and one more thing.

We should delete all JQuery stuff, because in my mind i think the solution should be the cleanest possible without any use of libraries or externs.

greets

Timothy Farrell

Mar 5, 2015, 8:36:16 AM3/5/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
I'm familiar with Mithril-hx.  I learned a lot from reading Andreas's code.  (Great work there Andreas!)  However, I have mixed feelings about Haxe -> Node.  There's nothing wrong with it for solving lots of real-world problems.  But it subverts one of the largest advantages of Haxe...cross-platform targeting with isomorphic code.  This works with HaxeDOM but any target-specific libraries lock you to that target language.  This is fine for client-side stuff (like jQuery), but if you want isomorphic, it's NodeJS or nothing.

And so what I meant when I said "something like Mithril" I meant a Haxe-implementation of a virtual-dom diffing library built on top of HaxeDOM.

PS: I have the freedom to pursue this opinion because my interest in Haxe is currently purely academic and at the hobby level.  If I needed Haxe for a work project, I would not hesitate to use Mithril-hx on Node if the client's setup allowed for it.

Timothy Farrell

Mar 5, 2015, 8:40:47 AM3/5/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to see how it looks to include templates at compile time.  This is a level of macro use, that I'm not familiar with.

About removing jQuery...I appreciate the desire to make something purely Haxe, but I also want to show how to use haxelib to bring in a library.  So it seems like a reasonable compromise to me.  I started out porting the VanillaJS implementation of TodoMVC, but that was more work than seemed realistic.  Truly, only framework/library writers deal with the DOM on that level anymore.

Is there another point that I'm missing?

Thanks