Multiplayer solution/library

Nathan Hüsken

Apr 23, 2014, 5:11:17 PM4/23/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

I am looking for a multiplayer solution for a jump and run like game,
that should run on iOS, android, desktop and maybe even html5.
So one possibility would be goolge play services, but I could not find a
haXe library for multiplayer.

So what other solutions exist?
I found bindings for "nuggeta" (www.nuggeta.com) which actually looks
pretty cool. Anyone experience in using it from haXe?
Other suggestions?

Thanks!
Nathan

signature.asc

Cauê Waneck

Apr 23, 2014, 5:59:18 PM4/23/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Does it need real-time interaction?

Juraj Kirchheim

Apr 24, 2014, 1:40:51 AM4/24/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Regarding nuggeta, there's a lightning talk from last year's
conference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-MH0DTrfck

Regards,
Juraj

Nathan Hüsken

Apr 24, 2014, 3:07:10 AM4/24/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com, Cauê Waneck
Yes

Cauê Waneck

Apr 24, 2014, 5:27:13 PM4/24/14
to Nathan Hüsken, haxe...@googlegroups.com
It's been a great while since I last coded client/server apps that needed real-time interaction. If you can rethink the app as a turn-based or some other kind of setup that won't require push-based communications, your options are much greater and it's much easier to implement
Anyway, at the time I last worked on it, I've used both haxe remoting server and smartfox. Afaik neither of them will work with websockets though.
If I were to tackle this right now, I think I'd choose either node.js or GAE's push server. GAE will scale to whatever size you'll need, and IMHO is less painful to write code in. But it's less flexible and you'll end up chained to google's platform.
If you're feeling adventurous you can try also to use haxe/java to code a server from scratch using java nio and one of the many websocket implementations available for Java.

There are some games that implement these kinda of jump and run games using simple stateless http servers that record the user's input, and replay it for another player - so he can compete with the first player's ghost. That's a much easier and scalable way to go.

Nathan Hüsken

Apr 25, 2014, 4:03:03 AM4/25/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
I really need realt time multiplayer.

THe advantage I see in nuggeta is, that it provides functions like match making which I would have to implement myself otherwise (for example in GAE).
nuggeta is free until 1000 ccu ... sound like a limit that is difficult to hit to me. Still, I wonder if there are any frameworks supporting me in developing haxe multiplayer games and which already have match making lobby and stuff like that.
--
signature.asc

Rezmason

Apr 30, 2014, 2:35:34 AM4/30/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
What about a project like https://code.google.com/p/hxis2/ ? Perhaps we could bring it up to date with Haxe 3.

You're not the only one interested in this; at some point, I'll be packing a server and client into a single binary for my OpenFL game. And while I haven't gotten around to figuring this stuff out, it's an inevitability.

On Friday, April 25, 2014 1:03:03 AM UTC-7, Nathan Hüsken wrote:
I really need real time multiplayer.

Justin L Mills

Apr 30, 2014, 6:12:51 AM4/30/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Currently it seems to have some neko stuff which could probably be
generalized for instance in some cases to haxe.Sys but don't expect you
would need many changes that are not documented on the haxe3 changes
page, if you catch Jan on IRC maybe he will be able to update, it's
probably not updated because he is not aware of anyone currently using
it, so if someone had a use and could raise real issues.

I would suggest that we ask Nicolas and Jan if we could merge somee of
the format parts of this library into the HaxeFoundation Format Library.
I also wonder if Rtmp and SharedObject should be considered in relation
to format package.

Is anyone expert on setting up a Java servers it might be a good to try
testing with Java rather than neko so that we know if the code is
generic rather than neko specific, setting up server stuff is always an
area I am not very happy with even if I have test space largely unused.

Rezmason: