Native Video support on mobile?

der Raab

Nov 25, 2015, 5:04:14 AM11/25/15
to Haxe
We're currently a little worried, that one of our key features is not that easy to integrate. We're looking for a way to support native Video into our Haxe native targets. Currently we use OpenFl and with Adobe AIR and StageVideo it's quite easy, but there is nothing quite like that in OpenFl for native targets.

I found a NME-StageVideo implementation here https://github.com/haxenme/nme/blob/master/nme/media/StageVideo.hx but this seems not to work with OpenFl?

So my real question is: Has anyone ever implemented a such videos? I figure in native games on Android and iOS you would embed some videos as well? Maybe there's already an extension out there? Or is anybody interested in developing one? We might invest in you and open source it... :)

Hugh

Nov 25, 2015, 6:56:55 AM11/25/15
to Haxe
To turn the problem on its head, did you try using NME instead of openfl for mobile?
Not saying it will certainly work, but its pretty easy to try.

Hugh

Justin L Mills

Nov 25, 2015, 7:52:23 AM11/25/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
+1
Generally I have found NME from terminal really easy to setup and for android the cppia stuff works well for quick testing.
Normally you can just take an openfl project and use it without changes with NME.
If you need away3d, or some other as3 ported library or html5 then probably better to stick with Openfl as stuff like Starling and Away3d seems to rely on openfl lime stuff more.
Really it's ideal to aim for your projects to compile with both so you can use whichever seems to work best on each target, certainly less stressful when updating to know that you can always compile to the other till you work out the issue especially when new versions of Haxe come out.

der Raab

Nov 25, 2015, 4:14:20 PM11/25/15
to Haxe
Thanks! :)

So you recommend to use nme.StageVideo with OpenFl? I'd like to stick to OpenFl simply because it's API is more convenient. Does somebody know of any tutorials on this?

Hugh

Nov 25, 2015, 8:10:53 PM11/25/15
to Haxe
You can try it from your existing project - just type "nme" instead of "lime".
You still can write "var x = new openfl.display.Sprite" and it will work with nme - but you will also be able to type "var video = stage.stageVideos[0];"
If you use "#if nme" then you can keep this out when you use openfl.
So there is not really (much of) an API difference.

Hugh