slickrock.io open sourced

Nico May

Jun 20, 2016, 8:47:06 PM6/20/16
to Haxe
Hi, you might remember my little chat experiment that was slickrock.io, unfortunately, it has come to an end. However Marcelo asked me on twitter if I was willing to open source it and I was, so you may now view the (likely horrible, and I don't really recommend learning from it) code at https://github.com/NicoM1/slickrock.io

It used Franco's Abe for the server, and raw haxejs for the client.

Let me know if you have any questions or get anything out of it,
Nico

Note: slickrock is actually still running at http://aqueous-basin.herokuapp.com/ however there are no users to speak of left.

Benjamin Dubois

Jun 21, 2016, 1:58:11 AM6/21/16
to Haxe
What are you so ashamed of ?
The code is quite readable and put a client and server code in 2 files only is quite a performance.
You must be kind of scrolling god that's it.

JLM

Jun 21, 2016, 6:21:43 AM6/21/16
to Haxe
I think it's wonderful you have released the source, surely now the code is open it's something others will want to build on, how does it compare with other opensource similar solutions what features does it have missing?
How hard would it be to run this off php and mysql on a cheap server, is the mongo thing essential to the smoothness of the solution.  Did you experiment with a standalone desktop by wrapping it in electron or similar?
Would be very interested if you create any tutorials around aspects of the application.

Nico May

Jun 21, 2016, 10:12:09 AM6/21/16
to Haxe
Thanks guys :) I guess I'm just unsure what good practices are with this sort of thing and I haven't read its code in almost a year (didn't do an actual readover before open sourcing, ah well).

JVM:
It's fairly limited, features-wise, and there are likely much more complete open source solutions out there, but it's probably not a hard base to build off. Missing are timestamps, PMs between users, many other things.

the backend uses Abe, which wraps nodejs, I personally am not a web dev so I couldn't tell you how much work it would be to port to php, however I imagine it wouldn't be too bad, as all the logic is still fine you'd just need to change how the routes are handled I imagine. As for the mongoDB part, that is no doubt easily ported to sql, the only reason I chose mongo is I haven't learned sql and it seems very odd to me to use a domain specific language just for saving data, but maybe someone can clear up why I would want that. (other than it being a good thing to learn for work in the industry)

Anyway, let me know if that answers your questions,
Nico

Philippe Elsass

Jun 21, 2016, 11:57:14 AM6/21/16
to Haxe

Never apologies for code you opensource.

Optionally add a note about very specific things you think should be improved.

Philippe