Why do you use Linux for dev over Windows?

dlots

Jan 8, 2017, 2:50:07 AM1/8/17
to Haxe
I am preparing to switch back to Windows as my dev environment for the haxe,cpp,c workflow because:

1. I need to have a more responsive workflow between graphics work and coding
2. I want to do more Windows rendering work and gamedev experimentation
3. Came to the (duh) startling realization that Win based development at the cutting edge is easily possible (game development). I only need a few dependencies to be productive in my toolchain and mastering their building in Windows is not that difficult.

 I think my reasons were the following for switching to Linux for development:

1. I was going to deploy server on Linux (which I am) and wanted to get expertly familiar with it.
2. Building most open source packages is easier on linux.

The point of this thread is to try to remember why I switched to Linux in the first place.

1. Are there any big downsides to Windows development specifically within the hxcpp,NME,OpenFL,Haxe,Apache2,Tora,postgresql pipeline, in case I'm forgetting something before I make the switch to using NTFS, Windows, cygwin.
2. Do you Win devs use cygwin for system interaction in your builds?

I am using a custom build server built in haxe so it's not really an issue but I do have a bunch of bash scripts which I hope will work on Win and will attempt to unify any quick and dirty system manipulation under bash with cygwin,ubuntu,debian as dependencies.

David Elahee

Jan 8, 2017, 3:48:02 AM1/8/17
to haxe...@googlegroups.com

I have used windows and haxe for years and most gamedevs I know use windows so no worry it is a logical choice to me.

1- No it's fairly similar to linux, you can have the same exact tools and confs files.
2- cygwin or msys

Good luck!

David Elahee

Cambiata

Jan 8, 2017, 4:12:53 AM1/8/17
to Haxe
Nowadays, since windows "Anniversary" update, you should be able to run a Linux subsystem with bash:
http://www.howtogeek.com/249966/how-to-install-and-use-the-linux-bash-shell-on-windows-10/

Might help you cross the bridge.