waxe users

Hugh

Feb 19, 2013, 12:19:41 AM2/19/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I have not had enough time to work on waxe recently. Does anyone want to take (joint?) ownership of the project, including moving it to your preferred project hosting etc?

Hugh

Cambiata

Feb 19, 2013, 1:34:02 AM2/19/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Hugh,

I think it would be right to say that Andreas Mokros has been the leading guy, with some minor contributions from MisterPah and myself.
I've been using his repo version: https://github.com/mockey/waxe
No significant changes, but some important details like populating of lists, adding missing events etc.

Andreas has also been very helpful to clarify some issues when combining Waxe and NME:
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/haxelang/qTKCFeOR8lY/discussion
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/haxelang/XCNzoZpny3U/discussion

I guess that the future of Waxe is partly depending on what's happening on the NME gui front.
Both YAHUI and StablexUI are moving rapidly forwards, and most of the current waxe functionality is already there.
I'm about to try porting my Waxe-built admin app to YAHUI to see if that's a way to go.

Maybe the NME gui solutions has a "lower cost" of programming hours seen in the multiplatform payback perspective,
compared to the tedious work of writing externs for native guis?
The NME route also will force development on the NME core (especially the html5 area).

That said - a major programming language (Haxe!) should have a solution for native desktop GUI applications, that's my oldfashioned wiev..! :-)

/ Jonas

Andreas Mokros

Feb 19, 2013, 4:19:03 AM2/19/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hugh.

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 22:34:02 -0800 (PST)
Cambiata <jona...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it would be right to say that Andreas Mokros has been the
> leading guy, with some minor contributions from MisterPah and myself.
> I've been using his repo version: **https://github.com/mockey/waxe

I was just playing around a bit with your code. I think I sent
you a couple of mails with questions, but never got any answer...

Actually some time ago I got tired of writing all these externs and
started to write an extern generator, cause I think a wxWidgets binding
only makes sense if it's quite complete (which means: loads of externs
have to be written). I remember I ran into a couple of problems there
due to my lack of C++-knowledge, but I might pick it up again, when I
have some time. For the next couple of weeks I'm very busy
unfortunately but generally I'm interested in working on this.

> I guess that the future of Waxe is partly depending on what's
> happening on the NME gui front.
> Both YAHUI and StablexUI are moving rapidly forwards, and most of the
> current waxe functionality is already there.

Ok, but what about apps, that are not using NME?

--
Mockey

Cambiata

Feb 19, 2013, 4:30:30 AM2/19/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
@Andreas:

Actually some time ago I got tired of writing all these externs and
started to write an extern generator, cause I think a wxWidgets binding
only makes sense if it's quite complete (which means: loads of externs
have to be written).

For the next couple of weeks I'm very busy
unfortunately but generally I'm interested in working on this.

Cool! Great to hear!

Ok, but what about apps, that are not using NME?

Good point!

Mihail Ivanchev

Feb 19, 2013, 6:31:45 AM2/19/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
I think I can take it over as well or latest take a deep look at it. Through hx-gameplay I made a nice CFFI infrastructure for C++ code and I recently had the idea of porting major C++ frameworks. Let me take a look at the source again and aevaluate the situation :) I automate the process of generating stubs as well, for sure I didn't write the 220 C++ files of hx-gameplay myself :D

Regards,
Mihail

Hugh

Feb 20, 2013, 12:13:40 AM2/20/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Andreas,
Sorry if I did not get back to you - I was a bit overwhelmed for a while there.
But I think i did mentally register your interest, and hence this post.

Hugh

Andreas Mokros

Feb 20, 2013, 3:40:08 AM2/20/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hugh.

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 21:13:40 -0800 (PST)
Hugh <game...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry if I did not get back to you - I was a bit overwhelmed for a
> while there.

No problem. Same for me at the moment.

--
Mockey

tbyrne.org

Feb 22, 2013, 4:49:55 AM2/22/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Would it be possible to use a documentation generator (with a custom template) to generate the externs?
I'd say most template-based doc generator tools would be able to spit out all the information you need.

Skial Bainn

Feb 22, 2013, 4:53:34 AM2/22/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
I think Joshua started adding c++ to https://github.com/jgranick/buildhx along time ago. Not sure of the progress made.

Andreas Mokros

Feb 22, 2013, 5:15:11 AM2/22/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 01:49:55 -0800 (PST)
"tbyrne.org" <tbyrn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Would it be possible to use a documentation generator (with a custom
> template) to generate the externs?
> I'd say most template-based doc generator tools would be able to spit
> out all the information you need.

Sure. I was using the doxygen output from wxWidgets which is fine in
general. But it's not so easy (at least for me) to match all the
cpp-specific types in the API (like pointer to the reference of a
pointer or so) to their haxe-cffi equivalents...

--
Mockey

Hugh

Feb 23, 2013, 9:19:26 PM2/23/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Yeah, wx is a bit tricky with ownership since if you add a control to a panel, deleting the panel will delete to control, but haxe could still have a reference to the control, which needs to be nulled-out.
For somethings it is clearer when to delete/release things, so maybe some kind of type-map that also includes optional pre and post conversion steps could get you 99% of the way there.

Hugh

tbyrne.org

Feb 27, 2013, 10:59:17 PM2/27/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
I get around this in Guise by having a small wrapper class which is persistent (i.e. available even when not added to display).
When it gets added to the parent window it creates the control internally, and when it gets removed it removes references to the control.

Also, if anyone wants to continue the manual work on Waxe (as opposed to a fully generative approach) feel free to fork from my clone of Hugh's svn.
It has Haxe 3 compatibility for the controls I'm using so far (in Guise) and I'll slowly be filling in functionality to match the other libraries I'm using.

tbyrne.org

Feb 28, 2013, 2:24:17 AM2/28/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,
I'm trying to build using my fork of waxe.
If I copy my modified hx files over the files in haxe/lib/waxe it works, but when using 'haxelib dev' to point to my custom repository it throws errors.
It would appear that the 'haxelib dev' redirect doesn't work for waxe for some reason (possibly only in Haxe 3).
I've been scratching my head about it for a bit now.

Errors are:
Could not find primitive wx_window_refresh__1.
Could not find primitive wx_window_destroy__1.
Could not find primitive wx_checkbox_create__1.
Could not find primitive wx_checkbox_get_checked__1.
Could not find primitive wx_checkbox_set_checked__2.
Could not find primitive wx_sizer_add_spacer__3.
Could not find primitive wx_sizer_set_size_hints__2.
Could not find primitive wx_sizer_fit__2.
Could not find primitive wx_timer_create__2.
Could not find primitive wx_timer_start__3.
Could not find primitive wx_timer_stop__1.