Intellij and Eclipse plugins

Zach Lym

Apr 10, 2014, 2:46:21 PM4/10/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
The Intellij and Eclipse (Eclihx) plugins are both broken and unmaintained, but they are still listed on the Wiki.  Should I just remove them or?

"I emailed Jetbrains a month or so ago and they said they were looking for someone to continue working on the plugin. Hopefully they are still looking and will find someone soon." - that might mean that Intellij would be willing to pay someone to work on it.

Piergiorgio Niero

Apr 15, 2014, 5:04:09 AM4/15/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
I would widen the question a bit more:
which is the "de facto" best coding experience on haxe?
is there something similar to intellij for as3 or java development?

j_mcc

Apr 15, 2014, 8:21:44 AM4/15/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
FlashDevelop is by far the best option at the moment. You can actually get projects working in it without having to fight with the IDE for hours (regardless of framework), and you can use breakpoints!

The huge downside however is that it's Windows only.

Philippe Elsass

Apr 15, 2014, 9:38:04 AM4/15/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
I know many Haxe coders using IntelliJ although it has its quirks - it seems to be quite capable unless you're abusing macros and #if-else-end.

Building/maintaining an IDE is very complicated and time consuming, and without commercial backing (direct or indirect) few projects are able to keep up/improve. And sadly we don't have Google behind us like Dart or Android to sponsor/support IntelliJ into making an entreprise-grade Haxe IDE...

Philippe

李志

Apr 16, 2014, 1:43:53 AM4/16/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
like fd.lightweight,free.eclipse,of idea,so big,slow.

在 2014年4月15日星期二UTC+8下午9时38分04秒,Philippe Elsass写道:

Zach Lym

Apr 16, 2014, 1:37:48 PM4/16/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
在 2014年4月15日星期二UTC+8下午9时38分04秒,Philippe Elsass写道:
I know many Haxe coders using IntelliJ although it has its quirks - it seems to be quite capable unless you're abusing macros and #if-else-end.

Could you ask them to put up a tutorial somewhere?  I prefer IntelliJ but I couldn't get it working.

Building/maintaining an IDE is very complicated and time consuming, and without commercial backing (direct or indirect) few projects are able to keep up/improve. And sadly we don't have Google behind us like Dart or Android to sponsor/support IntelliJ into making an entreprise-grade Haxe IDE...

I'm betting IntelliJ would give a free copy of their ultimate edition for someone to work on the plugin....  Have you thought/explored code bounties before?

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 1:21 PM, j_mcc <jeremy....@teamspace.ca> wrote:
FlashDevelop is by far the best option at the moment. You can actually get projects working in it without having to fight with the IDE for hours (regardless of framework), and you can use breakpoints!

The huge downside however is that it's Windows only.

I really wish the monodevelop Haxe people had worked on porting FlashDevelop to mono libraries.  That may have gotten enough FlashDevelop devs involved to sustain the effort.

On Tuesday, April 15, 2014 6:04:09 AM UTC-3, Piergiorgio Niero wrote:
I would widen the question a bit more:
which is the "de facto" best coding experience on haxe?
is there something similar to intellij for as3 or java development?

I appears that FlashDevelop and FDT are the only full-blown functional IDEs at this point.  Even the Intellij plugin seems to have lacked a lot of basic Haxe logic.

However, I can't get FDT to recognize import statements on libraries either, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong and FDT doesn't have a forum or anything.

I cleaned up the wiki based on the feedback here.

j_mcc

Apr 16, 2014, 1:46:46 PM4/16/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com, zac...@indolering.com
I really wish the monodevelop Haxe people had worked on porting FlashDevelop to mono libraries.  That may have gotten enough FlashDevelop devs involved to sustain the effort.
I was wondering yesterday how much work it would be to port FD over to Mono. It's based off of .Net 2.0, which Mono seems to have covered. I'm guessing that's a path the FlashDevelop community has tried to go down before though.

Zach Lym

Apr 16, 2014, 5:00:16 PM4/16/14
to j_mcc, haxe...@googlegroups.com
Looks like I spoke too soon, I poked around the Git repo for the MonoDevelop/Xamarin Studio (they rebranded it) Haxe bindings and found a fork which is still maintained.

https://github.com/zaynyatyi/md-haxebinding/

It's a bit buggy (but I think it's Xamarin Studio's fault, however) but I was able to get it compiling with only a minor tweak to the destination build folder.  It's even got source-maps for JS!

I will take a look, I want to see if it handles libraries or not.  That's been the biggest hangup on FDT.

Thank you,
-Zach Lym

Philippe Elsass

Apr 17, 2014, 3:30:11 AM4/17/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com

Eh well Joshua had started a MonoDevelop binding (what you link to might be a fork).
In any case I've always be very positive with this option, the problem being, again, that to mature it requires motivated contributors (Joshua has other big projects to handle).

rob meek

Apr 17, 2014, 4:07:50 AM4/17/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
An update for the IntelliJ plugin was released a few days ago …

… After a burst of activity on the github page including some merges of pull requests:

On first glance, I don't think everything is fixed but it sure looks a lot better - code completion is working very well for example.

BTW I also wrote to IntelliJ a week ago and got the same “looking for a developer” response. I think its good to remind them of the interest in the plugin. As a long-time user of Eclipse/Flash Builder and latterly FDT, the IntelliJ platform offers a different and happier world.

Zach Lym

Apr 17, 2014, 3:03:18 PM4/17/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com

Netbeans, Eclipse, Android studio all have major backers.  It seems like our best bet is to try and get a premium version of one of the IDEs to make real money.  It seems like FDT is our best bet for now, I mean, Flash is dying, where else are they going to go?

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 12:30 AM, Philippe Elsass <philipp...@gmail.com> wrote:

Eh well Joshua had started a MonoDevelop binding (what you link to might be a fork).
In any case I've always be very positive with this option, the problem being, again, that to mature it requires motivated contributors (Joshua has other big projects to handle).

It would be nice to see a bounty system setup to try and encourage this stuff.  How do you feel about the port FlashDevelop to Mono option?

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 1:07 AM, rob meek <rober...@gmail.com> wrote:
An update for the IntelliJ plugin was released a few days ago …

… After a burst of activity on the github page including some merges of pull requests:

That's good to hear.

On first glance, I don't think everything is fixed but it sure looks a lot better - code completion is working very well for example.

I think a feature matrix would be helpful, it would promote friendly competition as well as help information sharing across groups (how did XYZ do that?).

What should the features be?

* OS: Win, Mac, Linux,
* Auto-complete: standard library, imports
* Wizard: class, enum, abstract, JS project, CPP project, Java project, ... ,
* Source Maps: JS (do other languages HAVE source maps?)
* Debugger: How exactly should this work across languages?
* Import Management: detect classes, install, clean-up, ?

BTW I also wrote to IntelliJ a week ago and got the same “looking for a developer” response. I think its good to remind them of the interest in the plugin. As a long-time user of Eclipse/Flash Builder and latterly FDT, the IntelliJ platform offers a different and happier world.

Who exactly do we email?

On Thursday, April 10, 2014 8:46:21 PM UTC+2, Zach Lym wrote:
The Intellij and Eclipse (Eclihx) plugins are both broken and unmaintained, but they are still listed on the Wiki.  Should I just remove them or?

"I emailed Jetbrains a month or so ago and they said they were looking for someone to continue working on the plugin. Hopefully they are still looking and will find someone soon." - that might mean that Intellij would be willing to pay someone to work on it.

rob meek

Apr 17, 2014, 3:34:37 PM4/17/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com, zac...@indolering.com

Who exactly do we email?

I used the feedback form after evaluating IntelliJ Idea - http://www.jetbrains.com/feedback/feedback.jsp?product=IDEA

Philippe Elsass

Apr 17, 2014, 5:59:39 PM4/17/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com, zac...@indolering.com
Ah FDT... almost forgot about them ;)
Their Haxe support used to be notoriously bad - did things improve?

Making a commercial IDE is a tough business: Flash winding down, IntelliJ sucking the market... I wonder how big is the FDT Team nowadays. Looking at the release notes it seems to still be alive, but they admit they can't afford improving Haxe support much.

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 8:34 PM, rob meek <rober...@gmail.com> wrote:

Who exactly do we email?

I used the feedback form after evaluating IntelliJ Idea - http://www.jetbrains.com/feedback/feedback.jsp?product=IDEA

Philippe

Eric Priou

Apr 17, 2014, 6:28:48 PM4/17/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com

Le 17 avr. 2014 à 23:59, Philippe Elsass a écrit :

> Ah FDT... almost forgot about them ;)
> Their Haxe support used to be notoriously bad - did things improve?
>
> Making a commercial IDE is a tough business: Flash winding down, IntelliJ sucking the market... I wonder how big is the FDT Team nowadays. Looking at the release notes it seems to still be alive, but they admit they can't afford improving Haxe support much.

Sorry Philippe, but what did you meant then in our preceding talk ?
https://twitter.com/elsassph/status/454175497065615360

'Cause I gave FDT a last try and it was quiet bad actually !

---
Eric Priou aka erixtekila
http://www.ericpriou.net

Philippe Elsass

Apr 17, 2014, 6:49:04 PM4/17/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
I just meant that Haxe compiler-based completion has not always been very stable, especially with complex projects or when using the completion-server. This aspect is getting better.

Now concerning FDT, I didn't try Haxe support much, but only heard of severe disappointment ;) I would be expecting FDT to at least provide some compiler-based completion so it shouldn't be much worse than, say, Sublime Text.

IntelliJ isn't easy to approach either - the project templates and configuration are awful so it certainly requires a decent understanding of Haxe build process and IntelliJ in general. At least IntelliJ completion engine (not based on the Haxe compiler) has many quirks but is quite capable when it works.

Philippe

Zach Lym

Apr 17, 2014, 11:32:15 PM4/17/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
 Now concerning FDT, I didn't try Haxe support much, but only heard of severe disappointment ;) I would be expecting FDT to at least provide some compiler-based completion so it shouldn't be much worse than, say, Sublime Text.

Well, I'm glad I am not the only person to be running into problems with FDT : /

IntelliJ isn't easy to approach either - the project templates and configuration are awful so it certainly requires a decent understanding of Haxe build process and IntelliJ in general. At least IntelliJ completion engine (not based on the Haxe compiler) has many quirks but is quite capable when it works.

I don't mind their live-template system, but the biggest feature I am looking for in an IDE is for it to handle library/dependency management.  At the very least, I want it to catch errors for me.

Now I'm considering just getting FlashDevelop running on a VM and using it until I get a handle on the build process and then move onto either MonoDevelop or IntelliJ.

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 11:28 PM, Eric Priou <erixt...@gmail.com> wrote:

Le 17 avr. 2014 à 23:59, Philippe Elsass a écrit :

> Ah FDT... almost forgot about them ;)
> Their Haxe support used to be notoriously bad - did things improve?
>
> Making a commercial IDE is a tough business: Flash winding down, IntelliJ sucking the market... I wonder how big is the FDT Team nowadays. Looking at the release notes it seems to still be alive, but they admit they can't afford improving Haxe support much.

Sorry Philippe, but what did you meant then in our preceding talk ?
https://twitter.com/elsassph/status/454175497065615360

'Cause I gave FDT a last try and it was quiet bad actually !

---
Eric Priou aka erixtekila
http://www.ericpriou.net

Philippe

Philippe Elsass

Apr 18, 2014, 4:07:28 AM4/18/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com

You should look more closely into IntelliJ config - I'm pretty sure you can define libs, build, get errors...

Zach Lym

Apr 18, 2014, 2:48:47 PM4/18/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 1:07 AM, Philippe Elsass <philipp...@gmail.com> wrote:

You should look more closely into IntelliJ config - I'm pretty sure you can define libs, build, get errors...

 Ahh, well, I don't understand Haxe's build process so I'm looking to have those thing predefined ; )

I contacted IntelliJ regarding haxe, this is what they had to say,

Better Haxe support! I think this is a very important project, as it enables vendors to write client libraries in all of the major languages using a single code-base. Sadly, there are no good cross-platform IDEs.

You are welcome to create request in YouTrack for any feature you'd like to get: http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues/HAXE.

I heard rumblings of you looking for a new maintainer for the Haxe plugin. Are you looking to hire someone or trade a copy of the ultimate edition or ...?

I have no information about it. It's better to contact our HR team: http://www.jetbrains.com/company/contacts/.

Philippe Elsass

Apr 18, 2014, 3:11:22 PM4/18/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com

Do yourself a favor and get familiar with building Haxe projects from the command line and using .hxml files.

That's just how you get the job done in Haxe - that's not a WYSIWYG world.

Zach Lym