Best libs for Viewer (with ui) of Wireframe of big 2d Mesh ?

Lionel Barret

Sep 6, 2017, 4:10:51 AM9/6/17
to Haxe
Hi guys,
I need your advice.

I am building a viewer app (my first haxe app !) but, while I grok the language quite easily, I am still quite ignorant on the ecosystem.

I have no constraint on the target, but I am not sure which are the best lib for the ui and visualisation.

The app will display a huge wireframe 2d-mesh (think of the plan of a big big city and you're not far off) and offer some ui.
Because of the size of the mesh, moving the point of view is also needed.

So far, I have Flixel and I am not really convinced. On one hand, Sprite seems the wrong abstration, something like OpenGL lines would be a better fit.
On the other hand, The camera and the basic ui was easy, even if I am not sure it will scale correctly.

Any ideas ?

Haxiomic

Sep 7, 2017, 6:53:13 PM9/7/17
to Haxe
I think generally the best target and UI system for a project like this could be HTML, endless resources, quick iteration time and as a side effect you'll be able to rapidly share whatever you've built easily with a link

I'd target JavaScript and use the plain old html dom externs that are part of the standard library (js.html). For engines you've got lots of options, a few that come to mind:

- heaps by Nicolas Canasse (lots of sample code to play with and it's used in his game Northgard) https://github.com/HeapsIO/heaps
- luxe engine https://luxeengine.com
- Kha and amory3d could be worth a look into (but no experience here)
- there's a port of the old flash away3d engine
- Use externs for a popular javacript 3D engine like three.js. I built a tool to auto generate externs for three.js, if this a direction you're interested in I can fire it up (and with some tinkering) produce some up to date externs for you

This sort of thing is my bread and butter so let me know if I can help any further!

Good luck!

Chii Chan

Sep 8, 2017, 9:26:44 PM9/8/17
to Haxe

there's actually http://babylonhx.com/ , which is a pure haxe port of babylonjs, and it works wonders. It's not an extern, so you can build it, and have it be available on multiple platforms (which is the biggest reason to use haxe). It's much better than externing three.js in haxe imho.