Official dockerhub haxe images?

Dion Whitehead Amago

Jun 22, 2016, 2:30:23 PM6/22/16
to Haxe
I think it would be great if we had official haxe images in dockerhub, since docker containers are the future of cloud and desktop computing. There are already a bunch of different repositories for haxe already, which can be confusing.

We should have:

1) Both minimal (based on alpine linux) and more "batteries included" docker images of the haxe compiler. One for basic compilation, and one with all the libraries for e.g. C++ development.
2) All released haxe versions having their own tagged image.
3) Clear instructions how to use haxe docker images with e.g. local haxelibs, thus having a completely isolated, reproducible, versioned haxe development and build environment.

Who is interested in working with me on this?
If we have need CI infrastructure, is there money in the haxe organisation set aside for permanent infrastructure costs (for example if we need AWS machines to do builds)?
Who do I talk to for adding official repositories (or modifying existing ones) to work with dockerhub? (Is this the right channel?)

Dion

Ben Merckx

Jun 22, 2016, 3:54:26 PM6/22/16
to Haxe
This would be nice, but I haven't had much success with alpine as it uses musl libc. This might help: https://hub.docker.com/r/frolvlad/alpine-glibc/

I'd like a minimal neko container as well. If it can be statically compiled, it could be based on scratch.

Jonathan Ong

Jun 26, 2016, 6:58:35 AM6/26/16
to Haxe
I've just submitted a few patches to alpine-aports for camlp4, neko 2.1.0 and haxe 3.3.0. Hopefully they'll get accepted soon.

Hope this helps!