--run and --interp: what those commands actually do and what's the difference?

JeriX

Jun 7, 2017, 12:13:39 PM6/7/17
to Haxe
I can't find any info on this topic, only small "--interp interpret the program using internal macro system" in haxe manual https://haxe.org/manual/compiler-usage.html
Thanks!

Juraj Kirchheim

Jun 7, 2017, 12:57:26 PM6/7/17
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
In essence if you `haxe -lib foo -cb bar --run EntryPoint arg1 arg2 arg3`, then `Sys.args()` will be `["arg1", "arg2", arg3"]`. With `--interp` you choose your `-main EntryPoint` and it's pretty much the same without the args.

On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 6:13 PM, JeriX <jeri...@gmail.com> wrote:
I can't find any info on this topic, only small "--interp interpret the program using internal macro system" in haxe manual https://haxe.org/manual/compiler-usage.html
Thanks!

Philippe Elsass

Jun 7, 2017, 3:44:52 PM6/7/17
to Haxe
So both run on neko?

Juraj Kirchheim

Jun 7, 2017, 3:55:22 PM6/7/17
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Sort of, but not quite. Both run on the macro interpreter, which before was a neko interpreter implemented in the compiler and is now the eval target.

der Raab

Jun 8, 2017, 5:13:19 AM6/8/17
to Haxe
I ran into an issue with the changed target recently. Basically the problem might be, that the eval target doesn't support the full set of features neko had, so some of your previously running scripts will fail now. https://github.com/HaxeFoundation/haxe/issues/6343 is about my (copied) ci installation script failing in the new target. I don't know if that might be a big issue for some of you, I just wanted to mention it...