Haxelib down again?

Sławomir Mazgaj

Feb 16, 2017, 9:29:12 AM2/16/17
to Haxe
I'm getting 502 errors :(
Is it just me ?

Felipe Peternella

Feb 16, 2017, 9:45:01 AM2/16/17
to Haxe
Same 502 error here :/

Richard Wardin

Feb 16, 2017, 10:58:23 AM2/16/17
to Haxe
Not just you. There's a github issue up here: https://github.com/HaxeFoundation/haxelib/issues/369

Benjamin Dasnois

Feb 16, 2017, 1:05:43 PM2/16/17
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Is Nicolas somewhere around?

I have to say this is a major issue ; it is very difficult to sell Haxe as a technological solution when such a structural part of the ecosystem keeps on regularly failing.

This needs to be addressed. If anything's needed or we're facing a problem, then this should be shared with the community so that 1) we know what to expect 2) we can help fix it.

Regards,

Richard Wardin

Feb 16, 2017, 1:58:17 PM2/16/17
to Haxe
Wonder what it'd take to set up a mirror and change haxelib to allow using a mirror if the main site's down?

Justin L Mills

Feb 16, 2017, 2:22:37 PM2/16/17
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
In reality

    haxelib git ...

seems to work for most projects you just need the haxelib.json file in your github you don't even need to register it with haxelib online.

I sometimes wonder why not just use github, bitbucket etc... the register of haxelibs could be kept in a github wiki / github on haxefoundation.

This would remove the need for Haxelib repository, a pull request could perhaps work for new library and travis would run regularly to check for updated haxelib.jsons accross the web and atomatically update version numbers but not actually hold the libraries.

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

Feb 16, 2017, 2:56:34 PM2/16/17
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
I have to say this is a major issue ; it is very difficult to sell Haxe as a technological solution when such a structural part of the ecosystem keeps on regularly failing.

This ^^

Benjamin Dasnois

Feb 16, 2017, 4:36:02 PM2/16/17
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Actually, I'd like to set up a meeting (remotely, such as on a IRC channel). The commercial issues of Haxe have been dismissed for way too long, despite some very dramatic talks almost two years ago.

Because I believe in Haxe but the organisation around it seems to have mostly failed when it comes to commercial issues, I believe it is now the duty of those, including small freelancers, who have a commercial interest in Haxe to react and speak up.

While some "big companies" have found their ways, it is mostly impossible for a single developer, freelancers, or a small team, to sell Haxe because of the lack of stability and ready-to-work ecosystem. (actually there's something that's not *that* bad if you consider fixing the issues with haxelib but it's not publicised and well organised for non-very-good-devs).

So I thought maybe it would be a good idea to collect commercial (technical management of business) issues related to Haxe that people have been facing?

Mark Knol

Feb 16, 2017, 5:05:14 PM2/16/17
to Haxe
Haxelib is up again, sorry for the inconvenience!

Nicolas Cannasse

Feb 16, 2017, 5:07:18 PM2/16/17
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Le 16/02/2017 à 22:35, Benjamin Dasnois a écrit :
> Actually, I'd like to set up a meeting (remotely, such as on a IRC
> channel). The commercial issues of Haxe have been dismissed for way too
> long, despite some very dramatic talks almost two years ago.
>
> Because I believe in Haxe but the organisation around it seems to have
> mostly failed when it comes to commercial issues, I believe it is now
> the duty of those, including small freelancers, who have a commercial
> interest in Haxe to react and speak up.

Speaking up will not help much solve the problem...

Haxe Foundation is operating with very limited budget, so either you
volunteer your time to help us out or you give us the money to do so,
but complaining is surely not gonna help in any way to fix the issue.

We switched a few months ago to Amazon Elastic Beanstalk to have a cloud
front end for haxelib service but it seems that their servers have
sometimes difficulties on their side to connect to our root server. Andy
Li have been in charge of it but has not much time to investigate the
issue, he is also in Hong Kong so he just woke up and restore the server.

> So I thought maybe it would be a good idea to collect commercial
> (technical management of business) issues related to Haxe that people
> have been facing?

I suggest helping with the issues instead of just collecting them, that
would be much more efficient and helpful :)

Best,
Nicolas

Benjamin Dasnois

Feb 16, 2017, 5:20:56 PM2/16/17
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Nicolas,

just to clarify : by "speaking up" I meant "clearly express our concerns in order to start a conversation that can lead to action".
Why do you have to be so… insecure? Obviously when I want to collect the issues it is so we can see what people face the most and see how we can fix it… I don't have a lot of spare time so I wouldn't just spend it just to spend it you know…

What is the situation with regards to finding a CTO?