[newbie question] Drawing app with Haxe? What would you recommend?

edupaz

May 31, 2017, 11:32:40 AM5/31/17
to Haxe
Hello everyone.

I recently discovered Haxe and I would like to try to develop a multiplatform drawing app. Similar to those having a View where user can draw figures, lines, patterns, etc.

Here is my question, what would you recommend to use to achieve this? StablexUI/HaxeUI for the UI part (buttons, dialogs, etc). OpenFL? Anything else?

Thanks for your time.

Jason O'Neil

May 31, 2017, 5:22:50 PM5/31/17
to Haxe
If you would like a quick solution...

You could use JS / HTML in a webview, and then use this: http://fabricjs.com/

I know you might prefer native to a web view, but Fabric is ready to go and fairly battle tested (I've used it in production apps including for touch screens).

Writing externs would be pretty easy if they don't already exist.

Otherwise maybe someone else can comment. I think HaxeUI looks like the most up to date and flexible UI framework of that kind, but other people will know better.

Jason

edupaz

May 31, 2017, 9:08:16 PM5/31/17
to Haxe, he...@jasono.co
Thanks for the reply Jason.

I had a look at fabric a couple of weeks ago, and it looked great. I will keep researching around Haxe and if not I can't find something suitable, I will give fabric a try.

Any app you published to have a look at?

Regards.

Jeff Ward

Jun 1, 2017, 9:37:51 AM6/1/17
to Haxe
For cross-platform, it doesn't get much easier than OpenFL. OpenFL's BitmapData is a nice, cross-platform raster (pixel) surface to draw on. You could also draw with the Shape API (lineTo, moveTo, etc) and then draw it onto the bitmapdata:

myBitmapData.draw(myShape);

Another bonus of OpenFL -- it's much like Flash, so many Flash examples and tutorials will translate easily (BitmapData, Shape, MouseEvent, etc -- it's all the same.)

Others might recommend looking at Kha -- it has various drawing APIs. I haven't used it extensively. Be prepared to use git and build the tools (even haxe itself) as part of the workflow.

Best,
-Jeff

Victor / tokiop

Jun 1, 2017, 9:55:41 AM6/1/17
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
On 31/05/2017 17:32, edupaz wrote:
> Hello everyone.

Hi !
HaxeUI2's most stable targets seem to be OpenFL and Html5, so it
can be a flexible solution whether you go for a native or a
js/web app.

OpenFL is used a lot so you will benefit of the docs, stability
and much of AS3 resources. So it might me the most comfortable
start, especially if you come from a flash background.

Kha is also a very powerful solution, maybe a bit more
hard-core. It has "Kode" IDE to get quickly started, HaxeUI2
backend, zUI. See for example Lubos' amazing Armory Painter WIP
made with kha + zUI : http://armory3d.org/news.html

These frameworks will allow you to compile to most of haxe's
targets, while using a Javascript drawing lib as an extern will not.

Have fun !

Victor

edupaz

Jun 1, 2017, 10:57:31 AM6/1/17
to Haxe
Thanks everyone for you feeback.

I will take a look at all options you are giving me.

Cheers.

aleksejs....@donuts.ne.jp

Jun 1, 2017, 10:41:46 PM6/1/17
to Haxe
I'd say stick with OpenFL. It's very easy, rich API, a lot of power and you get to compile it to any platform you want.

Robert Konrad

Jun 2, 2017, 9:59:50 AM6/2/17
to Haxe
Hey, there's no need at all to build any tools if you want to use Kha.

Arthur Zehelvion White

Jun 3, 2017, 10:43:26 AM6/3/17
to Haxe
I second that. OpenFL is very useful when it comes to animation and drawing.

Confidant

Jun 4, 2017, 4:20:22 PM6/4/17
to Haxe
If you ported Grafitti library to Haxe, it would work with OpenFL nicely.

Confidant

Jun 4, 2017, 4:24:55 PM6/4/17
to Haxe
I am just realising now that Grafitti is just for bitmap drawing.