Haxe Google Summer of Code 2017

Ben Morris

Dec 23, 2016, 2:46:52 PM12/23/16
to Haxe
Hello everyone! As you may know, Google Summer of Code happens once a year and is a great opportunity for open source communities to engage with interested students. I've participated as a mentor in the past (for the Open Bioinformatics Foundation and National Evolutionary Synthesis Center) and have seen a lot of great and mutually beneficial experiences through this program. Also, mentors get cool t-shirts :-D

The mentoring organization deadline this year will be February 9 (https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline)

From a quick search, I see that Haxe has applied several times in the past, but thus far unsuccessfully. Wanted to see what Haxe Foundation is thinking this year:

- Are there plans on applying for 2017?
- Would projects be focused on Haxe development itself, or more broadly on all Haxe projects? For example, would OpenFL (or, dare I say, HaxePunk ;-) ) project proposals be accepted under the Haxe umbrella?
- Do we have a wiki or other place to propose project ideas and volunteer as mentors? (Here's an example from my participation at NESCent: https://informatics.nescent.org/wiki/Phyloinformatics_Summer_of_Code_2014#Project_Ideas) I think Google generally wants to see that there's a large supportive community backing the proposal, with a diverse set of projects that will appeal to many students.

Please let me know - I'd like to do what I can to help Haxe be successful and have a great GSoC experience this year.

Philippe Elsass

Dec 23, 2016, 3:44:11 PM12/23/16
to Haxe
I'd be curious to read the previous applications. Is it available somewhere?

Philippe

Simon Krajewski

Dec 23, 2016, 4:15:05 PM12/23/16
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Google friendzoned us. That's all I remember really. My therapist says I don't deal well with rejections. :(

Simon
Message has been deleted

Nicolò Pretto

Jan 6, 2017, 3:54:47 PM1/6/17
to Haxe
I tried to reply before but the message got deleted somehow, anyway I have a link to an old application document, if you ping me (lordkryss) on irc i'll send it to you (it's an edit link so i'd rather not publish it here).

If I recall correctly simon went to a irc channel to get feedback once, you may be lucky to find the logs for that.

Dustin Wehr

Feb 24, 2017, 2:28:38 PM2/24/17
to Haxe
Did the Haxe Foundation end up applying to be a mentor? I have a project proposal.

Ben Morris

Mar 2, 2017, 11:03:57 AM3/2/17
to Haxe
I'm guessing from Simon's response that they did not. The list of orgs was released this week and Haxe Foundation isn't one of them: https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/organizations