hxcpp update breaks project

Will Maynard

Oct 6, 2015, 1:46:59 PM10/6/15
to Haxe
Hey all,

I've been developing my application with hxcpp 3.2.102 for several months and finally decided to upgrade, but it ends up breaking my project.  To make matters worse, there is no informative error message associated with it.

The issue started appearing in hxcpp 3.2.171 (still present in 3.2.180), and this is all I get from IntelliJ:

"Error: Compilation failed"

I've commented out the main function and put in a "Hello, World!" in its place, but the error still persists.  It seems like the update thinks there's a syntax error somewhere, but won't tell me what it is.

Has anyone else had any similar issues?

-Will

underscorediscovery

Oct 6, 2015, 9:05:20 PM10/6/15
to Haxe
You haven't given enough information about your application to help out unfortunately.
Try running it from the command line - and with verbose flags, debug flag and so on.

Hugh

Oct 6, 2015, 9:16:03 PM10/6/15
to Haxe
If there is no extra output, it sounds a bit like it is not even starting the hxcpp tool.  Which points to a haxelib/neko version issue.
I'm not sure anything has changed, but it may have dependency on a more recent version of neko - what version are you using?

Hugh

Jeff Ward

Oct 7, 2015, 12:09:56 AM10/7/15
to Haxe
Iirc & fyi, I got linker errors (on windows, not OSX or Linux) until I deleted my project export directory.
Message has been deleted

Will Maynard

Oct 7, 2015, 1:36:04 PM10/7/15
to Haxe
Jeff,
   Unfortunately, it wasn't so simple for me.  I also see the issue on OSX, if that matters.

Hugh,
    I just updated to 2.0.0, but the issue still persists.

underscoreddiscovery,
    I ran it from command line and got some output.  Compilation does indeed make it to hxcpp - it makes it through a few of my classes (the number of classes it goes through is inconsistent between different attempts, but it's between 6 and 9 so far) before it gives the following error:

        Process creation failure : cl.exe

Hugh

Oct 8, 2015, 1:39:29 AM10/8/15
to Haxe
This sounds like a setup problem with vs2015.

Older versions did not look for the 2015 setup variables so it was probably using 2013.

But newer versions now looks and it might be finding a reference to 2015, but one without cl installed.
Do you have a partial version of 2015 installed?  Maybe you could try reinstalling, ensuring that you ask for the c++ compiler.

You can set the environment variable HXCPP_VERSBOSE to generate some more output.

Alternatively, you could set the HXCPP_MSVC_VER to "120" to try using the old version, like:
<set name="HXCPP_MSVC_VER" value="120" />
in the "vars" section of your ~/.hxcpp_config.xml

Hugh

Will Maynard

Oct 8, 2015, 2:41:11 PM10/8/15
to Haxe
That seems odd to me, because I don't have any VS instance newer than 2013 installed on my machine.

However, I did uninstall it and install 2015.  The issue continues to persist.

I set HXCPP_VERBOSE, but I'm still getting the same output.  The only error I get is "Process creation failure : cl.exe".

If cl wasn't installed, I would expect it to fail before it finished a single command.  Instead, it makes it through a few commands, like below:

Information:- Compiling src/myProject/EmptyResultSet.cpp : cl.exe -Iinclude -nologo -O2 -DHX_WINDOWS -D_USING_V140_SDK71_ -GR -Oy- -c -EHs -GS- -arch:SSE -IC:/HaxeToolkit/haxe/lib/hxcpp/3,2,180/include -DHXCPP_VISIT_ALLOCS -DHXCPP_API_LEVEL=311 -D_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE -D_ALLOW_MSC_VER_MISMATCH -D_ALLOW_ITERATOR_DEBUG_LEVEL_MISMATCH -DHX_WIN_MAIN -wd4996 -MT ./src/myProject/EmptyResultSet.cpp -FoC:/aPath/bin/windows/cpp/obj/obj/msvc-ncxp/ea2d08a8_EmptyResultSet.obj

I can keep working with hxcpp 3.2.102 just fine, but with 3.2.171 and later, this issue occurs.

Jeff Ward

Oct 8, 2015, 4:03:21 PM10/8/15
to Haxe
I feel like I've had this problem before (when setting up a Windows dev environment) -- google history tells me that I've searched for "Process creation failure : cl.exe" before.

Seems like there could be an VS environment variable at play (%VS140COMNTOOLS% and %VS100COMNTOOLS%), maybe conflicting versions of visual studio, or maybe something about using the visual studio command prompt... or running vsvars32.bat beforehand?

Sorry I don't remember specifics, hopefully something in there is a clue.

Best,
-Jeff

Hugh

Oct 8, 2015, 9:26:16 PM10/8/15
to Haxe
I'm not sure that a cl command has actually succeeded here - with the multi-thread builds, it starts a whole bunch at the same time so you may be seed 8 start, but none finish.
With the verbose mode, I would expect to see a banner, some info about which xml files are parsed and what version of MSVC it is using. So maybe there is some more output in another window or something?

Hugh