Migrating Flex Application to Haxe

Imane

Nov 3, 2016, 8:26:43 AM11/3/16
to Haxe
Hello Folks,
Here is what we want to do to migrate our Flex Application to Haxe :
1- Replace Flash Dependecies in Flex classes (AS Files)  by OpenFL
2- Convert MXML files to AS with MXMLC compiler (option: keep-generated-actionscript)
3- Convert all AS files to HX (with as3hx library)

Do you think that one of these steps is simply too expensive to be attempted ? do openfl cover all flash classes used by Flex ?

Saumya Ray

Nov 3, 2016, 9:29:27 AM11/3/16
to Haxe
IMHO

The pain would be,
2 and 3. There are portions of Flex SDK which does not inherit from FlashSDK and to convert them would be a task in itself.

Everything else could be done with a little work.

~saumya

David Mouton

Nov 4, 2016, 4:30:44 AM11/4/16
to Haxe
Hello,
FYI we had to port a huge Flex application. We did it using html + haxe + easeljs.
80% of the application was migrated in 20% of original development time.

Do do it we made a haxe lib, Tamina.

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer

Nov 4, 2016, 4:36:08 AM11/4/16
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
@David, super interesting to hear. I'll point this out to anyone freakin' out about converting legacy Flex apps.

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
_______________________

phone: +1 650 842 0920

Developer at Fanplayr Inc. (Palo Alto)
Original at Touch My Pixel (touchmypixel.com)

Imane

Nov 4, 2016, 5:38:56 AM11/4/16
to Haxe
Hello David
It's good to hear that finally someone who managed to migrate Flex Application. Can you please tell me what you have done to port MXML files in Haxe ?

Mikkel Munck Rasmussen

Nov 4, 2016, 12:08:34 PM11/4/16
to Haxe
Hi

I think it's doable, because we are in a similar situation and have managed to solve the problem so far.

Our application is originally written in haxe, but is using many flex controls.

So by using Openfl, we have replaced all flex classes and provided our own implementation of the functionality.

And OpenFL supported almost every we needed, and we came across stuff that didn't work, Joshua from the OpenFL team was extremely helpful. Either by fixing things for us or by accepting our pull requests

And now we have our application running as a HTML5 app, but also on Ios and Android.

So I would definitely give it a try.

Best
Mikkel

David Mouton

Nov 6, 2016, 7:34:29 AM11/6/16
to Haxe
We considered MXML as HTML.
Our application use a good MVC design. So view components are described in MXML, Model and Controller in Actionscript.
It wasn't so difficulte to convert MXML into HTML5, using html5 webcomponents.

It's in french but it explain why and how we convert from flex to haxe.