flash-films to HTML-5

paul couck

Jul 5, 2016, 2:21:38 PM7/5/16
to Haxe
I was using the Google Swiffy tool to convert swf flash-films to HTML-5.
Now Google Swiffy is no more available.
Is Haxe an alternative for Swiffy?
How can I use Haxe to convert a flash-film to HTML-5?

Jeff Ward

Jul 5, 2016, 2:38:41 PM7/5/16
to Haxe
Hi Paul,

No, Haxe is not an automatic tool for converting SWF to html5 like Swiffy. It's a programming language + compiler (+ lots of other libraries and tools in the ecosystem). It's related to the Flash ecosystem in the following ways:
  1. The compiler can output SWF files
  2. The language syntax is somewhat similar to AS3.
  3. There is a Haxe framework called OpenFL which implements a display list and many standard Flash classes (Sprite, Graphics, TextField), and so feels very familiar to Flash devs.
  4. There is a Haxe library called as3hx which aids in converting AS3 source code to Haxe source code.
So porting AS3 projects to Haxe is very possible and sometimes easy, but not 100% push-button automatic.

Hopefully that makes it fairly clear? Feel free to ask other questions!

Best,
-Jeff

paul couck

Jul 5, 2016, 2:53:57 PM7/5/16
to Haxe
Thanks Jeff, it's clear to me now.
But if there is an alt to Swiffy somewhere out there, please (any one) let me know.

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer

Jul 5, 2016, 2:55:41 PM7/5/16
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
I think this question is more specific to animations, rather than things with interaction?

You may have some luck using OpenFL and the SWF Reader, but I cannot promise this will work for all animations. Sadly this is something that has only really been done by a now defunct project Spaceport (bought by Facebook a few years back).

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
_______________________

phone: +1 650 842 0920

Developer at Fanplayr Inc. (Palo Alto)
Original at Touch My Pixel (touchmypixel.com)

Jeff Ward

Jul 5, 2016, 3:16:15 PM7/5/16
to Haxe, tar...@touchmypixel.com
Ah, yes, OpenFL has support for reading in SWF animations (with minimal or no embedded AS3 code), parsing the shapes and timelines, and then can compile to any platform (native, html5, etc). I've explored this a bit: https://twitter.com/jeff__ward/status/715999323570487300 - I believe this flow is called SWFLite.

There's a tutorial on the openfl website.

But if your SWF has embedded actions / code / actionscript, you may need to reimplement that behavior in Haxe code.

Best,
-Jeff

Rafael Oliveira

Jul 5, 2016, 3:20:09 PM7/5/16
to Haxe, tar...@touchmypixel.com
For "simple" animations, maybe flump and can help

paul couck

Jul 5, 2016, 4:00:34 PM7/5/16
to Haxe
This site contains the flash, it counts the days left for an event.
Yes people on Apple miss it...

Daniel Uranga

Jul 5, 2016, 5:39:52 PM7/5/16
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
That could be replaced with a .gif, maybe doing this:
https://coolestguidesontheplanet.com/convert-flash-swf-animated-gif/

> This site contains the flash, it counts the days left for an event.
> Yes people on Apple miss it...

paul couck

Jul 6, 2016, 12:51:09 PM7/6/16
to Haxe
The movie contains AS coding calculating the days left.
I don't think a GIF can realise this dynamic behaviour.

Philippe Elsass

Jul 6, 2016, 2:46:08 PM7/6/16
to Haxe

For simple things like that you should just look into Flash/Animate HTML5 output. You'll have to write a bit of JavaScript for the logic but that would be simple enough probably too not require looking into Haxe.

Confidant

Jul 7, 2016, 1:14:20 PM7/7/16
to Haxe
Yes, Animate CC would be the most reliable way to convert. You might also want to find an old download of Adobe Wallaby to try.

paul couck

Jul 7, 2016, 2:31:13 PM7/7/16
to Haxe
I'll look for Wallaby, because my Adobe Flash is 10 years of age...

Philippe Elsass

Jul 7, 2016, 4:07:28 PM7/7/16
to Haxe

If you have CS6 there is the "CreateJS Toolkit for Flash Pro". In CC it's included.

JLM

Jul 18, 2016, 11:27:34 AM7/18/16
to Haxe
You might also want to try the away3d plugin for animate it outputs 2D as well as 3D and has webgl support, but you may well have to wire up scripts yourself. Theoretically you might be able to load the awd3 file to haxe away3d, depending on if that is implemented yet, but again you either need to write scripts in typescript or haxe.  I believe the adobe output is mostly canvas so depending on need the away plugin may provide something faster.