Making a Haxe presentation at a conference about open source.

Peter Stefcek

Oct 2, 2015, 7:52:59 AM10/2/15
to Haxe
Hi guys,

even though I am not that frequently posting around here I am huge fan of Haxe and try to use it where applicable (still using heavily pure C/C++ in other areas). I actually became some kind of self-appointed evangelist of Haxe and try to mention it at conferences I speak at as much as possible, however this is the first time I put together a presentation of Haxe itself instead of the technology I build on top of it. It will be at OpenSlava http://www.openslava.sk/ which is organized by Accenture and quite a few big companies come here from around the world, for example the Keynote is presented by guys from Red Hat.

Anyway to the point now, I am quite curious what would you guys underline as a biggest selling point for Haxe? I am interested in hearing your opinions, they may not match mine, I may not even mention it in the presentation but I think its good to hear from the people that use Haxe the most. The second question is what brought you to Haxe and why did you start using it? I believe for most people both of these answers will be the same thing.

For me its the multiplatformity obviously but what really got me interested is the ability to use it even with existing languages without doing pure Haxe development. For example my framework Genome2D build on top of Haxe is used by a lot of companies without actually using Haxe on their part, I think that around 5% of the developers using Genome2D are using it in Haxe actually but I believe this number will grow. Being able to build a library within Haxe to be usable in other language was definitely one of the strongest selling points for me. Not many companies, mine included, are prepared to switch to different language right off the bat, I mean we have 50 AS3 programmers so my proposition to switch to Haxe even with Flash's future bleak wouldn't go well. So instead I just started using Haxe to build libraries which are still usable for the other 49 AS3 developers and not so surprisingly people within the company are slowly getting interested in Haxe and how it works. Not to mention that the libraries are build with multiplatformity in mind and ready to be used within different targets so when the last day of Flash finally comes Haxe will be the logical choice. This ability of Haxe to "transition" into it slowly and without risking anything is definitely one of the biggest selling points.

Its one of the things I will try to emphasise during the presentation, that you don't really need to go in kicking the door and forget everything you know, but rather approach it slowly. Try it out, but you can still actually get rid of Haxe if you don't really like it for some reason without abandoning any of the actual work you did with it. Pure awesomeness since you are rarely able to evaluate technology without actually losing the time spend on it.

Thanks and looking forward to your opinions.

@sHTiF

Nicolas Cannasse

Oct 2, 2015, 2:07:09 PM10/2/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Le 02/10/2015 13:52, Peter Stefcek a écrit :
> Hi guys,
>
> even though I am not that frequently posting around here I am huge fan
> of Haxe and try to use it where applicable (still using heavily pure
> C/C++ in other areas). I actually became some kind of self-appointed
> evangelist of Haxe and try to mention it at conferences I speak at as
> much as possible, however this is the first time I put together a
> presentation of Haxe itself instead of the technology I build on top of
> it. It will be at OpenSlava http://www.openslava.sk/ which is organized
> by Accenture and quite a few big companies come here from around the
> world, for example the Keynote is presented by guys from Red Hat.

Hi,

Interesting discussion. In my own experience, one of the things that
works well is when you explain that you no longer have to separate back
end and front end teams, they can all use Haxe and share code and
specifications since they speak the "same language". Same for iOS VS
Android on mobile.

Best,
Nicolas

Hudson Ansley

Oct 2, 2015, 2:22:38 PM10/2/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Besides the obvious multi-platform ability, I just like the language features, like type inference, inlining, meta data and macros, etc.
Regards,
Hudson

Peter Stefcek

Oct 2, 2015, 2:25:01 PM10/2/15
to Haxe
Thats a given :) Strange thing is that I discovered macros quite late in my foray into Haxe but now I use them everywhere, in some parts almost 20% of the code is macro generated.

Peter Stefcek

Oct 15, 2015, 2:42:52 PM10/15/15
to Haxe
Presentation is already online so if you want to check it out its on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CupIdO-GpVg

Cambiata

Oct 15, 2015, 3:53:40 PM10/15/15
to Haxe
Excellent presentation! Great work!

Philippe Elsass

Oct 15, 2015, 5:05:38 PM10/15/15
to Haxe

Remarkable presentation!

On 15 Oct 2015 20:53, "Cambiata" <jona...@gmail.com> wrote:
Excellent presentation! Great work!

Atul Kumar

Oct 15, 2015, 5:55:45 PM10/15/15
to Haxe
Congratulations! I thought your presentation was really great.

Peter Stefcek

Oct 16, 2015, 9:25:09 AM10/16/15
to Haxe
Thanks guys, glad to hear. I have a presentation on Haxe in Prague next month as well so I will iterate over this one and make it a bit bigger as they have different time restrictions for presentations there.

Anyway if there is anyone that can and would add as to the companies using Haxe list on the Haxe website here is our logo.

Thanks.
PixelFederation_LOGO_RBG.png

Itzik Arzoni

Oct 18, 2015, 5:04:47 AM10/18/15
to Haxe
I really enjoyed listening to this presentation on you tube. :)

der Raab

Oct 22, 2015, 2:06:00 PM10/22/15
to Haxe
Great talk! Great summary of what Haxe is all about! Thank you!