Trace for Android

flashyourface

Jun 12, 2015, 4:58:06 PM6/12/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Hey All,

Im new to haxe and am surprised how difficult it is to find info on getting a simple trace from an android project. (it was a pain just to get haxe/flash tracing in flash develop, which is now working)

I am making a basic openfl project and am looking for ANY WAY to get a trace from android device. I have tried may suggestions, searched everywhere and no luck. Also nothing recent came up in searches.

Can someone please help with this.

Thanks

flashyourface

Jun 12, 2015, 9:57:35 PM6/12/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
After painful testing I found a solution.

Using the monitor.dll from android sdk and setting a filter for traces in my app.

Can anyone suggest something better than this?

Is there any way to get this working in flash develop ide?

This language has been out for years, why is this such a challenge? Makes me question if im making the rite decision in learning this stuff.

nico....@gmail.com

Jun 12, 2015, 10:04:51 PM6/12/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
this sounds wrong….I don’t think I’ve targeted android directly so I can’t say for sure, but at least in flixel and luxe your traces just show in the console…..

flashyourface

Jun 12, 2015, 10:36:14 PM6/12/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Nico,

What sounds wrong? Do you want me to take a video of this working, and flash develop on its own failing? I gladly will.

I started haxe with flixel and from their very first tutorial I got to page 2 of flixel intro: http://haxeflixel.com/documentation/part-ii-testing/

That hello world would crash my phone if I set debug for android, release would not however it also would not produce traces.

Also, if am 'wrong'(which im hoping to be since that would mean there is an easier way to get traces) can you confirm you can setup a basic flixel app with flash develop 5 and get traces( trace('hello') ) from android debug release?

*Side note, I do get traces with my strategy so your claim of being wrong is hard to understand.

Please prove me wrong! again- that would mean that there is a better workflow.

Thanks!

Philippe Elsass

Jun 13, 2015, 4:37:05 AM6/13/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com

Capturing Android traces is tricky, because the main mechanism is effectively to watch the device logs and filter for your application.

OpenFL has I think a 'openfl trace project.xml android' that will launch and filter the traces in the terminal.

The problem with FlashDevelop integration is that this log monitoring doesn't stop when your application is closed/killed so FD doesn't know by itself how to stop this monitoring process.

An alternative approach, integrated in FD and cross-targets, would be to use the FlashConnect logger. The connector class is in FD program files under Library/classes/HAXE. It is even possible automatically route Haxe traces through it. However I didn't try so that will require some investigation to make it work, but basically it creates a socket to send traces directly to FD exe.