Suggestions for Haxelib

Confidant

Jun 1, 2015, 5:30:36 PM6/1/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Nice face-lift on Haxelib! I have some ideas for discussion.

1. It seems that haxelib supports "example code" items such as "away3d-examples" but it seems a bit awkward to install such things using "haxelib install". It ends up buried in /usr/lib/haxe/lib and you need to go searching there if you want to use the code. Can we have an intuitive way to deposit such code in a useful place? Or is it a matter of each author making a special script to move it via "haxelib run" ? There are some very nice Haxe projects, tools, and software out there which would be nice to promote but awkward to shoehorn into haxelib for this reason.

2. Support for categories with long names in addition to the tagging system. I was a big fan of and contributor to this page on the old site: http://old.haxe.org/doc/libraries
I liked that it was categorized and easy to browse.

3. Avoid half-baked tag names such as "cross".

4. Add many more tags so we can look for such useful items as "tween" libraries, or data "binding".

5. Perhaps we need an entirely different tagging method which would improve the quality of tags? Maybe even add the ability for admins to tag projects independently of authors where appropriate.

I submit these ideas fully aware that this only happens as the result of hard-working volunteers—you guys rock. :)

Mark Knol

Jun 3, 2015, 5:30:56 PM6/3/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Hi, im not the haxelib website developer but I can answer some questions:

1 this is a choice of developers. You can release any library so some choose to release their examples as separate library too. I also most choose for this to avoid downloading a library with examples bundled, because not everybody may be interested in it.
3 it might be a good idea to rename cross to crossplatform it, not sure thats doable.. Jason?
4/5 i think it would be doable to add some more tags?

Nicolas Cannasse

Jun 4, 2015, 3:59:32 AM6/4/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Le 03/06/2015 23:30, Mark Knol a écrit :
> Hi, im not the haxelib website developer but I can answer some questions:
>
> 1 this is a choice of developers. You can release any library so some choose to release their examples as separate library too. I also most choose for this to avoid downloading a library with examples bundled, because not everybody may be interested in it.

I think we should allow both, it's up to the developer.

> 3 it might be a good idea to rename cross to crossplatform it, not sure thats doable.. Jason?
> 4/5 i think it would be doable to add some more tags?

Tags are entirely based on what gets submitted by users in haxelib.json,
we could add some aliases for display purpose on the website, but I
think it's maybe better to have a way for users to tag libraries online
given library authors (including myself) don't always do proper tagging
when submitting.

Best,
Nicolas

John Plsek

Jun 4, 2015, 5:24:21 AM6/4/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
could the "recently updated" list include items only once. It's not very interesting to see two libs (from the same developer) updated 5 times each because the developer release broken code 5 times a day (not that this has happened in a while, but at the moment tinyui is listed 3 times, dated 2/6, 2/6 and 4/6 )

Jeff Ward

Jun 5, 2015, 10:13:34 AM6/5/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Could we get an automated password reset flow?

Also, could someone reset my password please. =D  My haxelib and gmail username are both jeff.ward

I've tweeted Juraj -- I've seen others file a haxelib github issue?

Mark Knol

Jun 5, 2015, 12:11:09 PM6/5/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
I think this is a good place for haxelib suggestions/ideas/improvements/contribution :
https://github.com/jasononeil/haxelib/issues