Question to community: old.haxe content

Mark Knol

Jun 3, 2015, 5:12:06 PM6/3/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Ive spend some time to port content from http://old.haxe.org to the new manual at http://haxe.org/manual. The goal is to deprecate this old thing :) I was wondering which pages you still use as reference and what is missing in the new manual.

Btw, if you like to help getting this job done, let me know.

Thanks for your input!

Mark

Josefiene Pertosa

Jun 3, 2015, 5:17:59 PM6/3/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
I can send you a report that shows which pages are being looked at how
often and how long.

Mark Knol

Jun 3, 2015, 5:21:38 PM6/3/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Hey thats a great idea! Please do :)

Rafael Oliveira

Jun 4, 2015, 10:33:56 AM6/4/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com

Mark Knol

Jun 4, 2015, 3:30:05 PM6/4/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your input. SPOD is ported but will most likely not end in the manual, also Dispatch is under discussion.
https://github.com/HaxeFoundation/HaxeManual/blob/std-spod/md/manual/std-spod.md

Benjamin Dubois

Jun 5, 2015, 12:15:52 AM6/5/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Btw any idea why we continue to use SPOD (that I've never heard of elsewhere) instead of ORM like the rest of the world?
Unless there is a subtle difference that I'm not aware of.

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 9:30 PM, Mark Knol <mark...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for your input. SPOD is ported but will most likely not end in the manual, also Dispatch is under discussion.
https://github.com/HaxeFoundation/HaxeManual/blob/std-spod/md/manual/std-spod.md

Justin Donaldson

Jun 5, 2015, 3:49:33 PM6/5/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
What's changing with dispatch?

On Thursday, June 4, 2015, Mark Knol <mark...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for your input. SPOD is ported but will most likely not end in the manual, also Dispatch is under discussion.
https://github.com/HaxeFoundation/HaxeManual/blob/std-spod/md/manual/std-spod.md

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

Jun 5, 2015, 3:50:28 PM6/5/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Isn’t SPOD an actual ORM?

— Marcelo

Justin L Mills

Jun 5, 2015, 4:17:02 PM6/5/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
SPOD = Simple Persistent Objects Database Library

From what I have read I would describe SPOD as typesafe ORM and SQL access with Macro compile time goodness.

Let just say the rest of the world has ORM, and Haxe has typed "S"pecial ORM in any flavour you want.

http://old.haxe.org/manual/spod
http://old.haxe.org/doc/neko/spod

Benjamin Dubois

Jun 6, 2015, 1:03:11 AM6/6/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I was only talking about the name "SPOD" instaed of what they are.

SPOD are typed because Haxe is. ORM from other typed languages are typed too.
> Someone new to Haxe looking for an ORM would not find it unless digging into old.haxe.org

François Barbut

Jun 6, 2015, 3:39:22 AM6/6/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com

Benjamin is right, it's very difficult for a newbie to know that SPOD is haxe's ORM.
BTW the name "SPOD" is no more mentionned on haxe.org, the official name is now 'sys.db.Object' !
the name "SPOD" is only mentionned in the old haxe website ...

Mark, what about porting the SPOD page to the new website and entitle it "sys.db.Object : the haxe ORM" ?

Alexander Kuzmenko

Jun 6, 2015, 2:40:58 PM6/6/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
http://old.haxe.org/manual/spod

Benjamin Dubois

Jun 7, 2015, 1:16:49 AM6/7/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Yes having "haxe magic" doc ported would be great.

Also I think we should promote a little more the "untyped" keyword.
From time to time I've heard the excuse for not using Haxe, that some feature is not available.
For instance, in the place I work, Haxe was dropped for iOS and Java just because it couldn't handle the camera.
(correct me if I'm wrong) Having some untyped calls encapsulated in camera related functions would have save Haxe case.

Theodore Norvell

Jun 8, 2015, 2:14:23 PM6/8/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
I found no information on operators and precedence (or priority) in the new manual. In the old it is at http://old.haxe.org/manual/operators/

On a picky note, for me "precedence" and "priority" are the same thing.  The old page uses the word "precedence" opposite to what I'm used to.  See http://en.cppreference.com/w/c/language/operator_precedence and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations for examples of the usage I'm used to.  (Maybe drop the word "precedence" and stick with "priority".)

Zjnue Brzavi

Jun 8, 2015, 2:27:10 PM6/8/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Hi, thanks for the efforts.. It seems almost all Google Haxe CFFI links point to the old site right now:  http://old.haxe.org/doc/cpp/ffi

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 8:14 PM, Theodore Norvell <theodore...@gmail.com> wrote:
I found no information on operators and precedence (or priority) in the new manual. In the old it is at http://old.haxe.org/manual/operators/

On a picky note, for me "precedence" and "priority" are the same thing.  The old page uses the word "precedence" opposite to what I'm used to.  See http://en.cppreference.com/w/c/language/operator_precedence and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations for examples of the usage I'm used to.  (Maybe drop the word "precedence" and stick with "priority".)

Benjamin Dubois

Theodore Norvell

Jun 9, 2015, 11:51:58 AM6/9/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, June 8, 2015 at 6:25:05 PM UTC-2:30, Benjamin Dubois wrote:
I think it's in ordered by precedence (the previous operator being used before the next in the list), maybe that should be mentioned

It isn't. Also it is not a complete list of operators. For example, it leaves out && and || as it should since they are not numeric.

Benjamin Dubois

Jun 10, 2015, 12:29:54 AM6/10/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Then I suggest you open an issue on GitHub.