HoTT?

Danny Gratzer

Feb 18, 2014, 4:02:54 PM2/18/14
to hask...@googlegroups.com
Hey all!

I find myself without much in the way of reading material lately and have been looking at the newish book on Homotopy Type Theory. From my skimming it should be pretty accessible to anyone with a Haskell background or TaPL-level (basic) understanding of type theory. This book in particular comes with the perk of being free (pdf for download on website).

Is anyone interested in starting a reading group sometime soonish?

If anyone had any other book suggestions of a similar nature I'd be happy to hear them :)

Cheers,
Danny Gratzer

Kyle Marek-Spartz

Feb 18, 2014, 4:08:03 PM2/18/14
to Danny Gratzer, hask...@googlegroups.com
The book is interesting for another reason: It was written by a bunch of authors in a short time using git, and book is still being updated, too. https://github.com/HoTT/book/commits/master

It might be less of a book and more of an experiment for a new research model.

I’ve been following it for a while, but haven’t sat down to read it, so this may be a good opportunity.

--
Kyle Marek-Spartz

Kyle Marek-Spartz

Feb 19, 2014, 6:38:43 PM2/19/14
to Danny Gratzer, hask...@googlegroups.com
Do you have a proposed time and place for this reading group?

--
Kyle Marek-Spartz

Eric

Mar 14, 2014, 2:19:39 PM3/14/14
to hask...@googlegroups.com, Danny Gratzer
I'm interested. I have some other books I'm studying as well that will help.

Tyler Holien

Mar 17, 2014, 12:03:16 PM3/17/14
to hask...@googlegroups.com
Robert Harper (@existentialtype) did a series of lectures with the intention of being an introduction to the book. http://existentialtype.wordpress.com/2013/12/04/homotopy-type-theory-lectures-and-notes-on-line/

Kyle Marek-Spartz

Mar 18, 2014, 12:29:44 PM3/18/14
to hask...@googlegroups.com, Eric, Danny Gratzer
Should we work through the lectures first? Was a location and time determined at the meeting?

--
Kyle Marek-Spartz

Danny Gratzer

Mar 18, 2014, 1:24:42 PM3/18/14
to Kyle Marek-Spartz, hask...@googlegroups.com, Eric
No unfortunately :(

I propose going through the first chapter of the book (I think that's the first 2-3 lectures) for the next normal meetup and we can figure out about how long it takes each person interested to a chapter plus people will have an idea of what works best/how we should structure meetings.

Cheers,
Danny Gratzer

Kyle Marek-Spartz

Mar 18, 2014, 1:54:16 PM3/18/14
to Danny Gratzer, hask...@googlegroups.com, Eric
Alright, I’ll read the first chapter and watch those videos by the April Meetup.

--
Kyle Marek-Spartz