Haskell MN Meetup: Wednesday, Feb. 12

Kyle Marek-Spartz

Feb 5, 2014, 10:52:30 AM2/5/14
to hask...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

We’ll be meeting next Wednesday, February 12, from 6:30 to 8 pm at Verdant Tea. We’ll be catching up on what’s new with everyone, and then work together through the Haskell Koans to compare approaches to problem solving. If you do not wish to RSVP on the Meetup event, please RSVP via email, so that if we have too many people I can let Verdant know in advance. If there are many more people this month than last, we may need a projector, too…

Meetup Event: http://www.meetup.com/HaskellMN/events/159531772/

Haskell Koans: https://github.com/HaskVan/HaskellKoans

Verdant Tea: http://minneapolis.verdanttea.com/
2111 E Franklin Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55404, Minneapolis, MN.

See you soon!

--
Kyle Marek-Spartz

Kyle Marek-Spartz

Feb 5, 2014, 11:02:12 AM2/5/14
to hask...@googlegroups.com
I added a note about this on the website: http://www.haskell.mn

If you’d like to do some design work to make the site prettier, it’s on GitHub! https://github.com/HaskellMN/www.haskell.mn

--
Kyle Marek-Spartz

Zachary Crockett

Feb 5, 2014, 11:57:30 AM2/5/14
to Kyle Marek-Spartz, hask...@googlegroups.com
I have RSVP'd on meetup.com—really looking forward to it!

I have what is probably a n00b problem trying to get the HaskellKoans running. If someone has any pointers, I'd appreciate it.

After cloning the repo and running setup-koans, the koans script just stalls, requiring Ctrl-C.  It claims I need at least version 1.18 of cabal, which I have.  Full session here:

Whether I get it running or not, I look forward to the meeting. Cheers!

Kyle Marek-Spartz

Feb 5, 2014, 11:59:39 AM2/5/14
to Zachary Crockett, hask...@googlegroups.com
It look like the setup-koans script installs it into a cabal sandbox, so it may be that there are multiple versions of cabal hanging around. I’ll try a clean install and see if I run into the same issue.

--
Kyle Marek-Spartz

Kyle Marek-Spartz

Feb 5, 2014, 12:11:24 PM2/5/14
to Zachary Crockett, hask...@googlegroups.com
I’m not sure why it is giving the warning, but it seems to be working correctly.

./bin/koans watches the files in test/ and whenever there is a save made to one of them, it compiles and runs the test suite. It may look like it is hanging, but that is just because it is waiting for a file to be edited. I would do them in this order, as this is the order they are tested:

- BasicFunctions
- Lists
- Currification
- BasicIO
- ParserCombinators

Best of luck!

--
Kyle Marek-Spartz

Erik Rantapaa

Feb 5, 2014, 3:02:56 PM2/5/14
to hask...@googlegroups.com
Some updates from me...

- My Vindindium client is at a point that with a simple strategy it can beat the random robots on the training maps. It still makes a lot of dumb moves but I'm satisfied for now considering the limited effort I put into it.
- In the toot your own horn department... some patches I submitted to haskellnews.org got integrated recently, so now haskellnews has a working github feed.
- I have a copy of the new book "Beginning Haskell: A Project-Based Approach" [1], and I will bring it to the next meeting for people to have a look at.

See you next week!
Erik

Zachary Crockett

Feb 5, 2014, 8:52:48 PM2/5/14
to Kyle Marek-Spartz, hask...@googlegroups.com

Ah! Got it. I assumed the koans script just ran the tests and quit. Didn't even try touching the tests while it was running. I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

Kyle Marek-Spartz

Feb 12, 2014, 11:58:43 AM2/12/14
to hask...@googlegroups.com
Hello again,

This meetup is tonight! I hope to see you there!

--
Kyle Marek-Spartz