May Meetup

tre...@riles.io

Apr 13, 2017, 10:11:09 AM4/13/17
to HaskellMN
Hey all,

After leaving the meeting we had last Tuesday I realized that I will still be out of the country on May 17 (3rd Wed). I wanted to bring this up right away as I will not be around to give a talk on Monad Transformers, and if it works out to host at Leadpages I would need to be around as well.

So with that in mind I was wondering if it would work for others to slide the date back 1 week to the 24th of May?

Thanks,
Trevor

Michael Hoy

Apr 13, 2017, 10:50:41 AM4/13/17
to HaskellMN
(Whoops, replied from my other email and google groups didn't like it.)

Hi Trevor, May 24th works for me.

Also, I spoke with my friend at the Hack Factory. He said they would be
open to hosting such groups but one of us (whoever is coordinating with
them) would probably have to be a member. I'm not sure what that
entails. I'll stop by the open house next Wednesday and check it out.

Mikey

Darren P

Apr 14, 2017, 12:32:53 PM4/14/17
to HaskellMN
I can do the 24th

Seth Dutcher

Apr 16, 2017, 9:22:02 PM4/16/17
to HaskellMN
I went ahead and requested a room at the Minneapolis Public Library. The room holds 5-12 people and has two whiteboards. I can bring dry-erase markers.

Room: Catherine Ann Forster Huber Conference Room N-304
Date(s): Wednesday, May 24, 2017
Time: 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM

However, (a) there's no food or drink allowed in the room and (b) I don't have any details on projection.

The room is only requested, so I might not even get it. If I do get the reservation and we don't like it I can always cancel.

Let me know what you guys think.

Seth

Seth Dutcher

Apr 16, 2017, 9:23:18 PM4/16/17
to HaskellMN
EDIT: There's no FOOD allowed in the room. Drinks are okay.

Alex Berg

Apr 17, 2017, 6:20:42 PM4/17/17
to HaskellMN
I'll be at LambdaConf in Colorado that week, so I'll miss that one.

tre...@riles.io

Apr 18, 2017, 10:40:39 AM4/18/17
to HaskellMN
I just got email confirmation that we can host Haskell.MN at Leadpages. I still have to submit a more formal request form, but it should be a done deal at this point. We will have access to a projector and there will also be pizza and beverages provided.

Currently the plan is for us to have the space from 6:00-9:00 on May 24th. Then have a recurring schedule for the 3rd Wednesday of each month after that.

Let me know what you all think. If I don't hear otherwise I will continue to move this forward. I'll post an update here when I get the official calendar event here at work.

- Trevor

Danny Gratzer

Apr 18, 2017, 10:54:04 AM4/18/17
to tre...@riles.io, HaskellMN
I would actually be in town for this, if people in interested in hearing a talk about type theory or category theory or something
I'm happy to chat about my research as well.

Cheers,
Danny

tre...@riles.io

Apr 18, 2017, 11:48:29 AM4/18/17
to Danny Gratzer, HaskellMN, danny....@gmail.com
That would be awesome Danny! Always interested in expanding my exposer
to type/category theory.

Also we are officially on the leadpages calendar for May 24th 6-9.

- Trevor

Alex Berg

Apr 18, 2017, 12:29:22 PM4/18/17
to HaskellMN
That's awesome! Thanks Trevor!

tre...@riles.io

Apr 20, 2017, 9:39:54 AM4/20/17
to tre...@riles.io, HaskellMN
Can one of the meetup organizers add information for the upcoming event?
The sooner we can let people know the better.

Michael Hoy

Apr 20, 2017, 9:44:21 AM4/20/17
to tre...@riles.io, HaskellMN
I can do that today

j...@begriffs.com

Apr 20, 2017, 8:28:31 PM4/20/17
to HaskellMN
Hey all, I'd mentioned doing a talk about QuickCheck, but I think my existing article is sufficient. I've already said there all I want to say on the topic, and am no longer interested in presenting.

Darren P

Apr 20, 2017, 9:02:10 PM4/20/17
to HaskellMN
I'm still on for Lens. Since Joe's not doing a talk, I was thinking it might be nice to have a "try it yourself" hack session afterwards where people can download a repo and try out what they learned while it's fresh and ask questions if they get stuck.

Michael Hoy

Apr 20, 2017, 9:23:00 PM4/20/17
to HaskellMN
Darren, Trevor, Danny: can you at some point send me a really short description of your presentation if you're still planning on it? Something like:

"Trevor Riles will give a talk on monad transformers. Topics covered will be X, Y, Z."

I'll add it to the Meetup event.

Trevor, we should get you added as a "co-organizer" so you can be host of the event. I'll get in touch with Kyle about that

Mikey