[Haskell-cafe] Debugging hanging template Haskell

Cody Goodman

Sep 21, 2016, 8:24:08 PM9/21/16
to haskell-cafe

Can you use the ghci debugger to do this? I tried adding a piece of template Haskell to the frames library and now compilation never terminates:

https://github.com/acowley/Frames/pull/59

One compiler warning warned me of overlapping instances in relation to my ZonedTime lift instance which could totally be wrong.

I have a feeling maybe the overlapping instances could be making compilation hang, but I'm not sure.

I'm more looking for help on how to move forward and keep debugging this than an answer, but if you only have time for an answer I'll gladly do the reverse engineering work to teach myself.

Thanks all!

Michael Sloan

Sep 23, 2016, 8:55:00 PM9/23/16
to Cody Goodman, haskell-cafe
Hi!

While not quite what you are looking for, I would suggest doing print
debugging via Debug.Trace.trace or traceShow or traceShowId . If you
make it print repeatedly, well, that's the bit that is hanging.

-Michael