[Haskell-cafe] ANN: Bookkeeper

Julian Arni

Aug 24, 2016, 3:39:17 PM8/24/16
to haskel...@haskell.org
I was playing around with GHC 8 yesterday, and ended up writing another
extensible records library:

https://hackage.haskell.org/package/bookkeeper

And a blog post about it:

https://turingjump.com/blog/bookkeeper/

I hope someone finds this useful!

--
Julian K. Arni
Haskell Consultant, Turing Jump

Dmitry Olshansky

Aug 24, 2016, 5:10:22 PM8/24/16
to Julian Arni, Haskell cafe
This is really interesting. But how many fields in Book could be? I'm afraid there could be a problem for time and memory consumption by compiler. Isn't it?

Best regards,
Dmitry

adam vogt

Aug 24, 2016, 7:26:58 PM8/24/16
to Dmitry Olshansky, Haskell cafe, Julian Arni
Book seems to use a quicksort (in package type-level-sets) to avoid duplicates. A couple years ago I did a benchmark http://code.haskell.org/~aavogt/HList-nodup/Run.html that includes a different quicksort. It is a good method, but maybe type-level-sets has a better implementation. Provided my timings generalize, I think dealing with many records of 50 elements will be frustrating.

Julian Arni

Aug 24, 2016, 10:49:34 PM8/24/16
to adam vogt, Haskell cafe
This is a very fair point - indeed compilation is quite slow with larger
records. I'll see if it can be made better. The link Adam sent is very helpful!
signature.asc