[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: Haskell Platform 7.10.2

Mark Lentczner

Jul 30, 2015, 3:09:11 PM7/30/15
to has...@haskell.org, haskell-...@projects.haskell.org, haskell
Haskellers, we are pleased to announce the release of

Haskell Platform 7.10.2

Highlights include:
  • GHC 7.10.2
  • packages & tools bumped to very latest
  • major package updates to:
    • attoparsec
    • case-insensitive
    • cgi
    • GLUT, GLURaw, OpenGL, & OpenGLRaw
    • mtl
    • network
    • primitive & vector
    • QuickCheck
    • random
    • syb
    • text
  • new website
  • new installer script for linux
  • 10 bugs closed: Issues · haskell/haskell-platform
This is our first release concurrent with GHC's release. You'll notice that the version number has changed to reflect that from now on, our aim is to keep HP releases sync'd to GHC releases.

Note: Haskell Platform download pages are often cached - you may need to hit reload to see the release.

About the last minute update to text package:
tl;dr: Vast majority of code will never notice the difference. Go ahead and get the HP now and start enjoying 7.10.2 You can always update to the point release when it comes out.

Despite all the testing, GHC central noticed just a day before release that there was a regression with text literals in 7.10.2. It was possible to work around the issue via a change to the text package, and text-1.2.1.3 was released just today. Alas, there wasn't enough time to re-build and test the platform installers between then and now, so this release has text-1.2.1.1. There will be a point release (7.10.2.1) of the Platform this weekend or next with the updated text package.

The issue does not result in incorrect code, only slow compilation times for very text literal laden code (as in thousands of literals), and slightly higher one-time construction cost at run-time. In full stack builds and many other test builds, these slow downs were inconsequential.

Windows Notes:
The Haskell Platform on Windows now provides the MSys2 tools. These tools are needed when installing packages that use conf-tools (generally rare). These tools are not automatically placed onto the PATH in order avoid troubles due to MSys2 tools which have the same name as a standard Windows tool (e.g., echo, find, dir).

- Mark "release monad" Lentczner

Special thanks to Erik Rantappa, Wasif Hasan Baig, & Ben Gamari for the new web site. Randy Polen for Windows build wrangling.

Harald Hanche-Olsen

Jul 31, 2015, 3:15:06 AM7/31/15
to haskell, haskell-...@projects.haskell.org
I notice that the OS X version is still installing binaries in /usr/bin.

If I have understood correctly, in the upcoming OS X 10.11 /usr/bin and
various other directories will be locked down hard, and no third party
software will be allowed there.

So perhaps the installer should be changed to install the binaries
elsewhere, such as /usr/local/bin?

– Harald

Mark Lentczner wrote:
> Haskellers, we are pleased to announce the release of
>
> Haskell Platform 7.10.2

> /get it here... <https://www.haskell.org/platform/>/

Sven Panne

Jul 31, 2015, 10:46:17 AM7/31/15
to Mark Lentczner, haskell-...@projects.haskell.org, Haskell Mailing List, haskell
Haskellers, we are pleased to announce the release of

Haskell Platform 7.10.2
[...]

Nice! I've just tested things under Windows, and everything works for me so far, only one tiny nit remains: In the documentation index (file:///.../Haskell%20Platform/7.10.2/lib/extralibs/doc/index.html) package names for the non-GHC packages are still missing in the right column, see attached picture. I'm not sure if this is a glitch in the HP build or a bug in Cabal or a bug in Haddock or..., so I don't know where to open an issue. Does anybody have a clue what might cause this? If I build packages locally in a sandbox, their documentation shows similar bugs. Is this working for other people or do they experience the same behavior?

Nevertheless, great work!

Cheers,
   S.

hp7102.png

Brandon Allbery

Jul 31, 2015, 10:55:46 AM7/31/15
to Harald Hanche-Olsen, haskell-...@projects.haskell.org, haskell
On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 3:14 AM, Harald Hanche-Olsen <han...@math.ntnu.no> wrote:
I notice that the OS X version is still installing binaries in /usr/bin.
If I have understood correctly, in the upcoming OS X 10.11 /usr/bin and various other directories will be locked down hard, and no third party software will be allowed there.
So perhaps the installer should be changed to install the binaries elsewhere, such as /usr/local/bin?

Mostly correct. I would argue against /usr/local though because Homebrew uses it and I'd want to avoid possible collisions, especially if someone were to e.g. install git-annex or pandoc via HB without realizing they're written in Haskell. (Yes, this happens!)

Many third party packages already use /opt, e.g. /opt/haskell or /opt/haskell-platform. (See for example XQuartz or calibre.)

allb...@gmail.com                                  ball...@sinenomine.net

Sven Panne

Jul 31, 2015, 12:33:30 PM7/31/15
to Mark Lentczner, haskell-...@projects.haskell.org, Haskell Mailing List, haskell
[ re-posted with a link instead of an attachment, the mail size limit seems to be a bit small on some lists... ]

Haskellers, we are pleased to announce the release of

Haskell Platform 7.10.2
[...]

Nice! I've just tested things under Windows, and everything works for me so far, only one tiny nit remains: In the documentation index (file:///.../Haskell%20Platform/7.10.2/lib/extralibs/doc/index.html) package names for the non-GHC packages are still missing in the right column, see http://i.imgur.com/jh0u8EP.png. I'm not sure if this is a glitch in the HP build or a bug in Cabal or a bug in Haddock or..., so I don't know where to open an issue. Does anybody have a clue what might cause this? If I build packages locally in a sandbox, their documentation shows similar bugs. Is this working for other people or do they experience the same behavior?

Brandon Allbery

Jul 31, 2015, 12:39:13 PM7/31/15
On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 10:55 AM, Brandon Allbery <allb...@gmail.com> wrote:
Many third party packages already use /opt, e.g. /opt/haskell or /opt/haskell-platform. (See for example XQuartz or calibre.)

Whoops, sorry, calibre does so on Linux but is a self-contained app bundle on OS X.

Harald Hanche-Olsen

Aug 1, 2015, 3:32:16 AM8/1/15
to Brandon Allbery, haskell-...@projects.haskell.org, haskell
Brandon Allbery wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 3:14 AM, Harald Hanche-Olsen
> <han...@math.ntnu.no <mailto:han...@math.ntnu.no>> wrote:
>[…]
> If I have understood correctly, in the upcoming OS X 10.11 […]

Uh, 11.0, I mean.

> So perhaps the installer should be changed to install the binaries
> elsewhere, such as /usr/local/bin?
>

> Mostly correct. I would argue against /usr/local though […]

Good point.

> Many third party packages already use /opt, e.g. /opt/haskell or
> /opt/haskell-platform. (See for example XQuartz or calibre.)

Given the current use of /Library/Haskell, /opt/haskell seems the more
consistent choice.

– Harald